Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-26-2016, 06:38 AM   #1
Lucian

Default Random encounters, how often?

When I first started gming, I asked my bro about how often should random encounters be. We were playing dnd
But he said something like 30-40% baseline.
So every game day I roll a d100 and my percentages range from 20 to 50% depending on if they are on a main road or near a large water source or something.

But gurps combat is a fair bit more deadly, and takes longer to resolve then DnD

So how do you guys handle random encounters?
I find that most of the session is taken up with combat because it takes at least a half hour to go though 15 20 rounds, which prevents the story from continuing
Lucian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:50 AM   #2
Anders

Default Re: Random encounters, how often?

I think random encounters shouldn't really be random. Add them when the PCs are getting complacent. Or when they spend too much downtime between rooms in a dungeon, to remind them that waiting also has consequences.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:57 AM   #3
Ciergan

This RPG.net thread suggests going for one in six scenes.
Ciergan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:07 AM   #4
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I think random encounters shouldn't really be random. Add them when the PCs are getting complacent. Or when they spend too much downtime between rooms in a dungeon, to remind them that waiting also has consequences.
That's what they're there for in D&D: to punish players for taking too long in one part of the dungeon instead of exploring properly by throwing in monsters (because combat gives low experience yield relative to the risk involved, especially when it's random wandering monsters who don't bring wandering treasure troves with them). Most monsters in a given dungeon are pre-planned.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:09 AM   #5
AnSR

I agree with Anders to some extent. You may have multiple options for an encounter in your back pocket, but as far as when to use them, here's my quick list of when to pull one of them out.
  • Break in the monotony. Example: 2 weeks of travel is boring, and the last town was a bunch of talking heads. Throw in that encounter with the deadly dragon-bird-thing to give the PCs something to roll some dice against.
  • Move the story forward. Example: The PCs need to get a clue to find the princess. Throw them some thieves trying to take their stuff, and make sure one of them is cowardly enough to offer information or have a letter about the kidnapped princess.
  • Help get the feel of the setting or world. Example: The land is cursed by dark magic. While traveling, throw in a herd of deer that has been deformed by magic and looking to kill things. It shows that even the docile cannot escape this curse.
  • Give a PC a moment to grow. Example: While the PCs are resting, and PC A is on watch, throw in the encounter that lets them use their talents to shine. They will see the encounter first and gets the first chance to do something about it.

Basically, make multiple (different) encounters that you can use, and then choose them un-randomly to help the story and characters move forward. It keeps things moving and makes you look attentive since you chose encounter XYZ which just seemed to fit what they needed.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:19 AM   #6
kdtipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I agree completely with Anders.

But I'd also like to add that GURPS combat doesn't have to take longer. What I discovered with my players who come from D&D (which is also where I started) generally just don't know the options as well. For those of us who played D&D for years and with most of our gaming time, those options and rules became second nature. Then learning the different options and rules in GURPS just seems slow because we have to think so much more about what choice to make.

I think as you practice it, it'll go faster. And one of my favorite tools to help make it go faster earlier is just a cheat-sheet. Just a list of the combat options for players to look at.
kdtipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:28 AM   #7
Lucian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtipa View Post
I agree completely with Anders.

But I'd also like to add that GURPS combat doesn't have to take longer. What I discovered with my players who come from D&D (which is also where I started) generally just don't know the options as well. For those of us who played D&D for years and with most of our gaming time, those options and rules became second nature. Then learning the different options and rules in GURPS just seems slow because we have to think so much more about what choice to make.

I think as you practice it, it'll go faster. And one of my favorite tools to help make it go faster earlier is just a cheat-sheet. Just a list of the combat options for players to look at.
Yeah my players do use cheat sheet, it was much worse at one time we have gotten faster. My enemies are tough, that extends it.

Even common enemies are not mooks, they don't make all out attacks all day long. They fight in formations though unless it's a boss I usually don't give them options like retreat and AoD. I also roll a reaction check with a penalty after any major wound or accumulated wounds of 50% and if it's anything negative they run. This helps speed up things a lot.

I'll probably lower the random chance to 5 or 10%
I like the idea of randomness because my entire campaign is free style, I have very few plans I virtually never know what I'm gonna do for that session.

The players have one quest that I started them obj a few month's ago and their still on it. Mostly because many sessions are consumed with combat happening too often.

I may even roll 5 to 10% weekly
Lucian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:31 AM   #8
JMason

For "wondering monsters" in a dungeon, I don't make them random. They happen when the PCs are making too much noise resting in "main" areas, etc.

For travel it depends on the type of game. In my post-apoc survival game, they have random encounters often as they travel across the wastes. Traveling long distances and managing resources is a big part of the game, but is also monotonous. Breaking things up with random NPCs, monsters, and places to scavenge makes for interesting choice (risk injury/supplies for better supplies/aid/etc.)

In my fantasy game, I tend to roll one random encounter per day of travel. This is because the destinations are more interesting than the "getting there".

Also, "random encounters" don't need to be combat. My table is divided between things to fight, things to avoid (traps, obstructions), things to adjust to (weather, environments), and just interesting things (NPCs, minor locations)

What you really need to do, is find what feels right for you and your players. Figure out what amount of encounters adds more excitement and unpredictability to the game than frustration and distraction.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:53 AM   #9
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnSR View Post
[LIST][*]Break in the monotony. Example: 2 weeks of travel is boring, and the last town was a bunch of talking heads. Throw in that encounter with the deadly dragon-bird-thing to give the PCs something to roll some dice against.
I don't really understand the logic of this. Yes, the two weeks of travel are boring for the characters (though they might say "restful" or "not scary"!). But the players don't have to spend enough time playing them out to get bored.

"It's two weeks to the next town, if all goes well. Roll the dice, please? Ah, a 13, a Good reaction. Your first week goes smoothly and has pleasant weather. Roll again? A 9 is a Poor reaction; you have bad weather. Does anyone have Navigation (Land)?"

There's a distinction between event time and narrative time: The time do so something and the time to tell about it. Games have three different time flows: combat is usually handled in slow motion, with each blow getting two or three rolls; social interaction is handled in real time; travel and preparations are handled in fast-forward as a series of montages, with hours or days of "nothing much happens" condensed to two or three dice rolls. Playing out travel as if it were actual story is a mistake, unless that's the kind of story the game is about.

See for example the first LotR film where the Fellowship leave Rivendell, and next thing you know the Misty Mountains are looming over them. They've spent a couple of weeks covering the distance, but Peter Jackson doesn't show us that; he leaves us to fill it in.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:18 AM   #10
RyanW

I have had GMs who detail travel time out too far. Something like three "encounter" roles a day, and three each night. Most of the encounters were minor weather effects and such, and it was decidedly unfun.