Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-22-2016, 01:06 PM   #1
abe ray

Default ice cream addiction?

how would you handle addition to ice cream?
I'm just curious as to the point cost mostly.
along these lines how would you handle soda pop addiction?
Old 04-22-2016, 01:25 PM   #2
Culture20

Default Re: ice cream addition?

They're both legal substances, easily obtainable in even small towns for relatively low cost. You'd probably get more points for Gluttony with a limitation for ice cream only.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:43 PM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: ice cream addition?

I'd call it a quirk at most, and only at the "Must have ice cream at every meal or will not eat" level. As Culture20 points out, it's a legal, cheap, common substance.

Twitter: @SJGames || Facebook: SJ Games and Munchkin || Medium: @SJGames
Instagram: @stevejacksongames || YouTube: Steve Jackson Games

New Munchkin player? Visit our Munchkin 101 forum!
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:28 PM   #4
Imion

Default Re: ice cream addiction?

See Power-Ups 6: Quirks, p.29 'Minor Addiction'.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:44 PM   #5
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by abe ray View Post
how would you handle addition to ice cream?
I'm just curious as to the point cost mostly.
along these lines how would you handle soda pop addiction?
The simplest is to just take it as a Quirk. If it is supposed to have some substance, take some related traits. This not only fleshes out your character but lays out how you're okay with the GM inconveniencing you and have a potential path for character advancement laid out:

Spoiler:  

Another option might be to model it as a Compulsive Behavior. Keeping with the spirit (if not RAW) this means you don't just need a sip of any ol' soda pop to stay happy if you've got Compulsive Behavior: Drinking Soda Pop. It might make more sense if we substitute it with some examples that are a bit more common (at least where I am) in real life. Compulsive Behavior: [Quirk Addiction] Time. These are the people that ritualize an otherwise a otherwise minor addiction, and the bulk of the value comes from how either they invest time and money and often a little something else in the ritual or else they are so off put that they'll definitely be acting with Bad Temper until it is remedied (and indeed, possibly for a bit even after it is remedied).

It can be great for fleshing out a character, and perhaps is better done as Bad Temper with a Mitigator.
My 4e library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Power-Ups 2, Power-Ups 3, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Social Engineering, Supers, and one issue of Pyramid (3/83), mostly provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 12:46 PM   #6
whswhs

I wouldn't call it an addiction but Gluttony. Either a quirk that equals gluttony only for ice cream, or a quirk that adds to Gluttony and makes it especially strong for ice cream.

A human being should know how to live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse. Specialization is for insects.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:08 PM   #7
Anaraxes

Keep in mind that, both in real life and in GURPS, "addiction" does not simply mean "I really like X and will try to eat it if I can". Are you really suffering the effects in the "Drug Withdrawal" box on B440 when you don't get your daily ice cream? Do you really lose control of yourself for days, as described in Alcoholism on B122? A real addiction can easily destroy your mind and/or your body.

This is not very plausible for real-life ice cream and humans -- but hey, it's GURPS, so it's possible there's some creature that could be addicted to ice cream, or a sufficiently exaggerated or cinematic character that the addiction rules would best fit their reaction to not having ice cream.

Your favorite junk food is just a Quirk, at best.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
addiction, ice cream, point cost, soda pop