Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-20-2016, 08:39 PM   #1
evileeyore
Banned

Default DF: How about some Cloak love?

So I'm making a Cloak using Wizard and I've noticed... DF has lots of love for it's shields, it's armor, and it's weapons... but Cloaks are pushed out into the cold.

We need some Cloaky love for our Swushybacklers! (and other peeps that like to wear cloaks)

So I present some off the cuff (and dredged out of the actual RAW) modifiers for Cloaks:

Cloaks: It takes 2 Ready manuevers to prepare a Cloak to be used as a Shield or Weapon; one to remove it, one to wrap it around around your forearm. To use only as a Weapon, a cloak need not be removed (taking one less Ready action), you can just Ready it in one hand, however doing so reduces Reach by 1. Cloaks may be used to Feint by snapping in an enemies face or by flourishing to conceal your foot and body movements. They may also be used to entangle a foe like a net (see Nets, pg 411) or for armed grapples! For these purposes short cloaks and capes have a Reach C, 1, and Ankle Length cloaks and capes are Reach C-2. The difference between cloaks and capes are largely fashion, for rule's purposes treat them identically. While worn, unmodified cloaks cover only the back of the torso, the arms, and the upper legs (to the knee), granting it's DR to the wearer (but does not count as Layered Armor; Dwarven Chain Cloaks are DR 3/2 when used this way, as per chainmail armor).

See GURPS Characters pgs 184 (Cloak skill), 411 (Nets), and 287 (Shields) for further rules.

Cloak Modifiers:

Alchemical Fireproofing*: This cloak will not catch fire! +4 CF.

Ankle Length†: Most cloaks only cover to the knees, these cloaks go all the way to the ankle, covering the lower leg and foot from rear attacks while worn. Weight x1.2 and +.2 CF

Crude: Incompatible with ornate, faerie cloaks, meteoric, and orichalcum. Crude items cannot be permanently enchanted; however they are not magic resistant and are as easily affected by magic as any other item of the same material. -0.2 CF, but the resale value is 0!

Dwarven Chain Cloak†*: Dwarven smiths have long made these 'ring-mail' cloaks for their light fighters (this is either jazerant - mail sandwiched between two layers of thick cloth or leather, or just a loose chainmail cloak 'Dwarven Rule Of Cool' style, your choice, either way it is obviously not a simple cloak). All chain cloaks are DR 3, light cloaks weigh 6 pounds and have HP 20; heavy cloaks weigh 10 pounds and have HP 30. These cloaks may be used as a flail in combat (using the Cloak skill), light cloaks and capes do sw+1 cr, minimum ST 12; heavy cloaks and capes do sw+3 cr, with a minimum ST 14. May use the following Shield modifiers: Meteoric and Orichalcum following the standard rules. +4 CF.

Edged†: The bottom edge of this cloak has many blades sewn into it. In addition to the usual maneuvers, it can be used to slash at an opponent. Cloaks and capes have a reach of C, 1. Times x1.25 weight and +2 CF for tiny blades (thr(0.5) cut damage), x2 weight and +9 CF for knife length blades (thr cut damage).

Elven Camouflage:* For one of arctic, desert, jungle/woodlands, mountain, plains, or swampland. Provides a bonus to Camouflage, and Stealth vs. Vision, in that terrain: +1 for +2 CF, or +2 for +7 CF.

Faerie Mirror Cloak†*: Fae Swashbucklers prize their mirrored capes, and now the Bigguns can get capes made of this material too! As per Mirrored Shields (DF1, pg 27). The cloak or cape has it's usual DB but at 1/2 it's usual weight: +10 CF.

Faerie Chaos Cloak*: Leprechaun weavers have spun a cloak that twists, snaps, and flares open chaotically when flourished at an enemy! This cloak adds it's DB to all Feints made with it. +5 CF.

Fine†: Cloak has the same DB, but only 3/4 its usual weight: +9 CF.

Hooded: The cloak has a hood, adds coverage to the head from the rear while worn. Weight x1.1 and +.1 CF

Ornate: Dress to impress, exactly as for the weapon modifier (p. 26). Any cloak: +1 to reactions for +1 CF, +2 for +4 CF, and +3 for +9 CF.

Poncho*: Some cloaks don't simply fasten in the front, they are ponchos. Unlike cloaks, ponchos count as Layered Armor (apply -1 DX when worn over any other armor). No change to weght or cost of a cloak. A poncho may be made from Giant Spider Silk, these do not count as layered armor, +99 CF.

Slorn Hide*‡: Trolls can tan Slorn hides into flexible leather goods that are more durable (+1 DR) than their normal counterparts. It remains Flexible and only applies to light (DR 1) leather goods. +3 CF.

Waterproofing†: Rain and spray can reduce clothing’s effectiveness in cold weather (see Cold, p. B430). A waterproofed cloak or poncho can be worn over clothing to keep the wearer dry. Waterproofing agents include beeswax, vegetable oil, animal fat, tree pitch, and lacquer. Weight x1.2 and +1 CF.

Weighted†: +1 to Cloak skill. Weight x1.5 and +4 CF.

† Weight effects multiply together. A cloak that is both Edged and Weighted uses the larger of the two weight modifers.
* Dwarven Chain Cloaks, Fearie Cloaks, Giant Spider Silk, and Slorn Hide are incompatible. Dwarven Chain Cloaks are already Fireproofed. Faerie Mirror Cloaks may not receive Elven Camouflage.
‡ Slorn Hide may also be applied to Light Leather armor and other goods.

Supernatural Embellishments:

Billows Dramatically - The cloak flairs and billows in the most dramatic fashion (even with no wind or when standing still) and never looks stupid or interferes with the wearer's movments when doing so! +2 CF

Last edited by evileeyore; 03-21-2016 at 01:40 PM. Reason: added Ankle Length modifier, note about ponchos, and Billows Dramatically. Added more...
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:15 PM   #2
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Default Re: DF: How about some Cloak love?

*buys a dozen hooded cloaks*

*enchants them all with Fortify*
Old 03-20-2016, 09:16 PM   #3
Ternas

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Hooded: The cloak has a hood. Weight x1.1 and +.1 CF

Slorn Hide*: Trolls can tan Slorn hides into flexible leather goods that are more durable (+1 DR) than their normal counterparts. It remains Flexible and only applies to light (DR 1) leather goods. +3 CF.
Ah yes, cloaks can be completely awesome. I actually enjoy using Heavy Cloaks. I also occasionally pull from Fantasy Tech for the Leather Cloak version. Alternately, you could spend more money on a regular Heavy Cloak for +1 DR against cutting and then toss on Leather of Quality. I figure that it's essentially the difference between realistic leather cloak and a cinematic Ethnic Cool cloak, though strangely the book locations are probably reversed.

Leather Cloak: Provides +1 DR for light or heavy cloaks but x2 weight. -1 Skill due to increased weight. +1CF (FT1 p.13)
Leather of Quality: Provides +1 DR to heavy cloaks. +4 CF. (LT:IA p.17)

Also can't forget ankle length cloaks to make sure you don't get unexpectedly hamstringed for only x1.2 weight and 1.2 cost. Get the hood for the complete set and become a mysterious wizard.
Ternas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:24 PM   #4
Unwashed Mass

Quote:
Slorn Hide*: Trolls can tan Slorn hides into flexible leather goods that are more durable (+1 DR) than their normal counterparts. It remains Flexible and only applies to light (DR 1) leather goods. +3 CF.

Slorn Hide may also be applied to Light Leather armor and other goods.
Wouldn't this just be Leather of Quality (+4 CF) from Low-Tech?
Unwashed Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:24 PM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ternas View Post
Also can't forget ankle length cloaks to make sure you don't get unexpectedly hamstringed for only x1.2 weight and 1.2 cost. Get the hood for the complete set and become a mysterious wizard.
Where were those written up? I was dredging through Low-Tech all afternoon...
Old 03-20-2016, 09:29 PM   #6
Ternas

Quote:
Where were those written up? I was dredging through Low-Tech all afternoon...
Low-Tech Instant Armor on page 20 under the optional rules. It also covers the rule for hoods.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:29 PM   #7
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unwashed Mass View Post
Wouldn't this just be Leather of Quality (+4 CF) from Low-Tech?
I dropped the price a tad to reflect it's only usable on DR 1 leathers (so no cheap DR 3 Leather Armor, you get it Fortified* or make it Dragonhide).

* Which is technically cheaper than Heavy Leather of Quality.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:33 PM   #8
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ternas View Post
Low-Tech Instant Armor on page 20 under the optional rules. It also covers the rule for hoods.
Ah... Instant Armor. I should have checked there for more stuff.

Honestly didn't expect Cloaks to get any love in that book, I'll have to check it.

[EDIT]
Mmmm... Poncho cloak... time to ladle on the cheese...
[/EDIT]

Last edited by evileeyore; 03-20-2016 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:41 PM   #9
Ternas

Other than listing ankle length cloaks, they really don't get a lot of love. Though a lot of the LTIA textile mods are probably usable for any cloak you might want. Would love a Heavy Cloak made from silk. Get a +3 to merchant reaction bonuses from that alone.

Alternately, you could probably also make a poncho out of Giant Spider Silk and allow it to negate the -1DX penalty to the arms.

As for a poncho cloak, I wonder what the CF would be for the Supernatural Embellishment: "Billows dramatically"
Old 03-20-2016, 10:52 PM   #10
Buzzardo

Great idea. Another player and I use cloaks all the time in our campaigns. I'd love some options.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote