Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2016, 03:24 PM   #21
Nereidalbel
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Default Re: Over Powered Templates

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvannrederode View Post
IQ + 10 and Magical Aptitude +10

So they learn spells at IQ 30?

How is this not game breaking? Even for a four-color supers campaign, this is absurd; it breaks the 3d6 mechanic that skills (and spells) rely on.
In a 1400 point game, this is not a surprising skill level.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:44 PM   #22
GodBeastX
 
GodBeastX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Behind You
Default Re: Over Powered Templates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Linking many instances of Leech with Steal [Attribute]
Wouldn't that then make it a single dependency on leeching if you get them all at once?

And wouldn't that single instance have a value based on the rarity of the most minor stat, which would be Magery?

That's like getting multiple dependencies as a vampire, replacing blood with "Platelets, Hemoglobin, White Cells, Red Cells, Plasma" to get massive points.
__________________
RPG Jutsu.com - Ninjas Play GURPS
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:54 PM   #23
Nereidalbel
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Default Re: Over Powered Templates

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
Wouldn't that then make it a single dependency on leeching if you get them all at once?

And wouldn't that single instance have a value based on the rarity of the most minor stat, which would be Magery?

That's like getting multiple dependencies as a vampire, replacing blood with "Platelets, Hemoglobin, White Cells, Red Cells, Plasma" to get massive points.
Unless they're done via Malediction, in which case some will succeed and some will fail on any given attack. It's also possible that spells like Lend [Attribute] can work as valid substitutes, at least for the short term.

But yeah, these templates just look like an unholy mess that would be nearly unplayable.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:17 PM   #24
Peter Knutsen
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Default Re: Over Powered Templates

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvannrederode View Post
IQ + 10 and Magical Aptitude +10

So they learn spells at IQ 30?

How is this not game breaking? Even for a four-color supers campaign, this is absurd; it breaks the 3d6 mechanic that skills (and spells) rely on.
I suspect that several other aspects of those writeups are blatantly RAW-illegal, but there's actually nothing wrong with having a spellcasting skill way higher than 18, or a spellcasting base (IQ+Magery) way higher than 18.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:07 PM   #25
ReyAlps
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Default Re: Over Powered Templates

The "point" of them being separate is that they each require a minute or more to cast, a skill roll, a resistance roll, a separate learning, separate durations, separate and independent.
ReyAlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:09 PM   #26
ReyAlps
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Default Re: Over Powered Templates

Actually, they learn with a base of IQ 20 and Magical Aptitude 30 = 50.

They enchant with bonuses to Sacred Architecture, Symbol drawing and Visualization (Reliable) to and efective Skill of 150-180, without putting additional energy, witch they syphoon at 30,000 Mana (with PHTP from GURPS Technomancer 3rd ed) per casting from a small Mana Generator from their 30 ton spaceships (Meager 30 mana/second) , with a casting time of 30 hours.
ReyAlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:32 PM   #27
mr beer
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Default Re: Over Powered Templates

That seems somewhat over the top, not really sure how an IQ 20 entity with many (I guess) spells at 150+ skill and 30K mana per hour is reasonably going to be challenged.
mr beer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:49 PM   #28
Nereidalbel
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Default Re: Over Powered Templates

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beer View Post
That seems somewhat over the top, not really sure how an IQ 20 entity with many (I guess) spells at 150+ skill and 30K mana per hour is reasonably going to be challenged.
Static (Magic) will seriously mess with them.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:46 PM   #29
mr beer
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Default Re: Over Powered Templates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Static (Magic) will seriously mess with them.
I guess, I would think they have some counter-counter measures in place for that kind of thing though. They're not just uber-magically adept but absurdly smart as well.
mr beer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:31 AM   #30
cvannrederode
 
cvannrederode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Pennsylvania
Default Re: Over Powered Templates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
I suspect that several other aspects of those writeups are blatantly RAW-illegal, but there's actually nothing wrong with having a spellcasting skill way higher than 18, or a spellcasting base (IQ+Magery) way higher than 18.
Being allowed by the rules is one thing. Pushing the rules past the point where they no longer work as originally intended is another....

Skill levels in the 20 to 30 range can be played off as reasonable, with someone who is almost perfect and can pull of success in "impossible" circumstances. But 150+ just goes beyond reasonableness with the mechanic. Relying on a specific counter measures (which begs counter-counter measures, the counter-counter-counter etc...) just makes an arms race of modifiers. You're just tallying and comparing modifiers with a calculator at that point...the dice roll is meaningless except for results of 17 or 18.

Bottom line is, in my view, what's trying to be done is just beyond the scope of the system as written. They're just too much, and push things beyond balance-ability (IMO).

Re-reading the templates...Bunnies and Burrows popped into my head, with it's description of IQ 30 humans, and how alien they were.
cvannrederode is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
templates

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.