Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-13-2016, 11:27 PM   #1
scc

Default [DF/Fantasy] Student Debt

OK, DF, and to some extent Fantasy adventures in general, consists of:
Quote:
Reduced to its essentials, the dungeon fantasy genre consists of sword-and-sorcery heroes with cool powers killing things and taking their stuff.
– GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 8: Treasure Tables
So why are they so intent on killing things and taking their stuff? Well training to be a wizard or whatever probably didn't come cheap, so them needing to pay off student loans is a good explanation for why they do what they do. The following is stuff I've got in mind for a campaign.

So they probably have the Debt Disadvantage at the -5pt level, which can be brought off with just cash, but how much?

Alternatively they might have gotten their training in the army through a reserve program, meaning they'll be called up in the event of a war, call that Duty (Army, 5 or less; Extremely Hazardous) [-5], yes I know that's not valid, but I want it a -5, not -7.

Finally if they've got enough money (Enough levels in wealth) or pay off the loan you pick up a -5pt Enemy, people hounding you to work for them or the like.

So this would be a required Disadvantage for any Power using classes, giving them an extra -5%, that's fine, but how would it work for Mages/Wizards?
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:52 AM   #2
RyanW

Default Re: [DF/Fantasy] Student Debt

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
So this would be a required Disadvantage for any Power using classes, giving them an extra -5%, that's fine, but how would it work for Mages/Wizards?
It may be required, but it shouldn't be a part of the power modifier unless skipping out on it causes the power to go away. So only if the power is based on a vow to fulfill those obligations, or the Vegan Police will show up and strip them.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:56 AM   #3
Anders

Note that there are people who adventure to gain power or for excitement. I imagine the Futurists of Italy would love adventuring:

Quote:
1. We intend to sing the love of danger, the habit of energy and fearlessness.

9. We will glorify war—the world’s only hygiene—militarism, patriotism, the destructive gesture of freedom-bringers, beautiful ideas worth dying for, and scorn for woman.
10. We will destroy the museums, libraries, academies of every kind, will fight moralism, feminism, every opportunistic or utilitarian cowardice.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:52 AM   #4
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Hmm, I could actually see clerics and even some druids losing their powers if they don't make donations to the faith which are reflected in Debt rather than a Vow, if the GM and player like that trait better. Wizards don't have power modifiers, so they couldn't do this. Any caster might have debt – though at $10/month per -1 point, it would be a bit of a joke in Dungeon Fantasy, where people rake in tons of cash. I'd add a ". . . or 1% per level of the value of all treasure and earnings, whichever is higher" rider to that. That way, if a magic-worker with Debt 5 comes home with $20,000 in gold, he owes $1,000, not $10 for the month.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:23 PM   #5
dcarson

Wizards may also owe in kind. They guy you owe (your teacher?) doesn't want money, he wants replacements for those rare monster parts you destroyed through stupidity.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:38 PM   #6
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
It may be required, but it shouldn't be a part of the power modifier unless skipping out on it causes the power to go away. So only if the power is based on a vow to fulfill those obligations, or the Vegan Police will show up and strip them.
Being thrown in jail, presumably in magic suppressing cuffs, counts, right?
Old 01-20-2016, 02:33 AM   #7
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Hmm, I could actually see clerics and even some druids losing their powers if they don't make donations to the faith which are reflected in Debt rather than a Vow, if the GM and player like that trait better. Wizards don't have power modifiers, so they couldn't do this. Any caster might have debt – though at $10/month per -1 point, it would be a bit of a joke in Dungeon Fantasy, where people rake in tons of cash. I'd add a ". . . or 1% per level of the value of all treasure and earnings, whichever is higher" rider to that. That way, if a magic-worker with Debt 5 comes home with $20,000 in gold, he owes $1,000, not $10 for the month.
Medieval peasants had to give a tithe (10%) of their earnings to the church, so that's how much Cleric's and Holy Warrior's must pay to their church. This would be -10% limitation and their might be ways to weasel out by doing things for the church, like undertaking missions for free or doing charity work.

Thieves might also owe a similar percentage of their earnings to a local mob boss, but I'm not sure what they'd get out of it
Old 01-20-2016, 03:55 AM   #8
weby

Quote:
Thieves might also owe a similar percentage of their earnings to a local mob boss, but I'm not sure what they'd get out of it
Not getting their head bashed in primarily...

But beyond that they get some minimal protection as in likely safe houses and maybe some services like fences that can smuggle out too hot goods to other places for sale and similar.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:22 PM   #9
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
Not getting their head bashed in primarily...

But beyond that they get some minimal protection as in likely safe houses and maybe some services like fences that can smuggle out too hot goods to other places for sale and similar.
Guild sanctioned heists can have investigations side tracked via the boss' infuance. [the mlatia follow only most blatant leads]
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 05:02 AM   #10
The Colonel

Quote:
Being "in" with local organised crime will also give you access to better fences, safe houses, sources of thieves tools and other illegal goods, informants and assistants, general intelligence, money launderers...
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungen fantasy