Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-04-2016, 08:29 PM   #51
Kalzazz

Default Re: RPG Jutsu - GURPS Content for Ninjas

Well, one persons 'overpowered' is also likely another persons 'underpowered', GURPS ranged combat can be quite brutal, and in certain other games it is very possible to have a starting character that can kill two orks in a single round with a longbow

So someone might be thinking 'Oh dear! He is killing an ork a round! Overpowered!' while another is thinking 'Oh dear! Only an ork a round! Underpowered!'

I actually ran into this recently in a game I was DMing. The fairly high point value elven swordsman took 5 combat rounds to kill 4 ork goons. I was distressed. 5 combat rounds!? And he was even wounded? How could this be?

I actually was so distressed by it I had him run into another 4 ork goons and . . . again he took 5 combat rounds to kill them, and he got hurt

I was most distressed

After the game I brought it up with the player 'I think we need to look at your character and ponder what went awry, I can't believe it took 5 rounds for you to drop 4 orks, not even an ork a round'

Player 'No, its cool. It was almost a ork a round, and sides, he isn't supposed to be a DPS king, that went about right I think'
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:00 PM   #52
GodBeastX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Well, one persons 'overpowered' is also likely another persons 'underpowered', GURPS ranged combat can be quite brutal, and in certain other games it is very possible to have a starting character that can kill two orks in a single round with a longbow

So someone might be thinking 'Oh dear! He is killing an ork a round! Overpowered!' while another is thinking 'Oh dear! Only an ork a round! Underpowered!'

I actually ran into this recently in a game I was DMing. The fairly high point value elven swordsman took 5 combat rounds to kill 4 ork goons. I was distressed. 5 combat rounds!? And he was even wounded? How could this be?

I actually was so distressed by it I had him run into another 4 ork goons and . . . again he took 5 combat rounds to kill them, and he got hurt

I was most distressed

After the game I brought it up with the player 'I think we need to look at your character and ponder what went awry, I can't believe it took 5 rounds for you to drop 4 orks, not even an ork a round'

Player 'No, its cool. It was almost a ork a round, and sides, he isn't supposed to be a DPS king, that went about right I think'
I tend to define it as "When a character is doing so much that nobody is having fun".
Old 11-17-2016, 01:16 PM   #53
GodBeastX

Ultratech Equipment 1 – Tools of the Future Warrior

Everybody likes more goodies for their games. In this first article of the series, I outline a couple pieces of new equipment and modify some existing equipment.

Ultratech Equipment 1 – Tools of the Future Warrior
Old 11-17-2016, 01:29 PM   #54
Kalzazz

Either I can't get my browser to scroll, or I don't see shield weights?
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 01:37 PM   #55
GodBeastX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Either I can't get my browser to scroll, or I don't see shield weights?
Fixed. Refresh and you should be good.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:32 AM   #56
GodBeastX

Saving Throw - Is it a Valid Mechanic?

We are used to saving throws in GURPS and other games. Unless you resist then an effect occurs.

I offer challenges against this idea and provide an example of a system that changes this whole mechanic!

Saving Throw - Is it a Valid Mechanic?

Tags
blogs