Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2016, 02:31 PM   #1
PencilBoy99
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Default Gurps 4e Mixed Supernaturals

What 4e books do recommend for a mixed supernatural game (Werewolves, Witches, Vampires, etc.)?
PencilBoy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:49 PM   #2
Nereidalbel
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Default Re: Gurps 4e Mixed Supernaturals

Powers, Horror, and maybe Supers all come to mind.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:55 PM   #3
mlangsdorf
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Default Re: Gurps 4e Mixed Supernaturals

Monster Hunters would be my go to source. MH1: Champions has 400 point templates for many inhumans (Angels, Vampires, half-Vampires, Lycanthropes, and Demons), experiments, blessed champions, psionics, and witches. MH4: Sidekicks has 200 point versions of the previous templates and suggestions for stacking templates together to get a wide variety of 400 point templates. MH5 adds some aliens. MH3: Enemies has versions of all of the above acting as enemies.

Even if you don't intend to do a full Monster Hunter campaign, Monster Hunters has a lot of resources for playing mixed supernatural games.
__________________
Read my GURPS blog: http://noschoolgrognard.blogspot.com
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:41 PM   #4
Randyman
 
Join Date: May 2009
Default Re: Gurps 4e Mixed Supernaturals

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilBoy99 View Post
What 4e books do recommend for a mixed supernatural game (Werewolves, Witches, Vampires, etc.)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
Monster Hunters would be my go to source. MH1: Champions has 400 point templates for many inhumans (Angels, Vampires, half-Vampires, Lycanthropes, and Demons), experiments, blessed champions, psionics, and witches. MH4: Sidekicks has 200 point versions of the previous templates and suggestions for stacking templates together to get a wide variety of 400 point templates. MH5 adds some aliens. MH3: Enemies has versions of all of the above acting as enemies.

Even if you don't intend to do a full Monster Hunter campaign, Monster Hunters has a lot of resources for playing mixed supernatural games.
Beaten to the punch.

Monster Hunters is exactly "Mixed Supernaturals". Using MH as a base set of very well-balanced rules options you can go in pretty much any direction you please.
__________________
"Despite (GURPS) reputation for realism and popularity with simulationists, the numbers are and always have been assessed in the service of drama." - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 02:24 PM   #5
Otaku
 
Otaku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South Dakota, USA
Default Re: Gurps 4e Mixed Supernaturals

So... should someone go straight from Basic to Monster Hunter, or should they get Powers or some other source books in addition to Monster Hunter?
__________________
My 4e library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Power-Ups 2, Power-Ups 3, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Social Engineering, Supers, and one issue of Pyramid (3/83), mostly provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 02:29 PM   #6
chandley
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Gurps 4e Mixed Supernaturals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
So... should someone go straight from Basic to Monster Hunter, or should they get Powers or some other source books in addition to Monster Hunter?
You can go straight to the MH series from Basic Set. That is the whole premise of things like DF, Action, and MH. If you find that there isnt quite enough there for you, you should mention that to the MH writers, so they can close the gap :)
__________________
My GURPS stuff
chandley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 02:46 PM   #7
David Johnston2
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: Gurps 4e Mixed Supernaturals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
So... should someone go straight from Basic to Monster Hunter, or should they get Powers or some other source books in addition to Monster Hunter?
Depends on how much customization you want to do. Monster Hunter is fine as is but if you wanted for example to introduce a bunch of custom designed fairies, I'd get Powers.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 02:58 PM   #8
Otaku
 
Otaku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South Dakota, USA
Default Re: Gurps 4e Mixed Supernaturals

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post
You can go straight to the MH series from Basic Set. That is the whole premise of things like DF, Action, and MH. If you find that there isnt quite enough there for you, you should mention that to the MH writers, so they can close the gap :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Depends on how much customization you want to do. Monster Hunter is fine as is but if you wanted for example to introduce a bunch of custom designed fairies, I'd get Powers.
Thanks. I'm still a bum so I won't be getting any books in the foreseeable future, but thought it might matter to others reading the list.
__________________
My 4e library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Power-Ups 2, Power-Ups 3, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Social Engineering, Supers, and one issue of Pyramid (3/83), mostly provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:53 PM   #9
PencilBoy99
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Default Re: Gurps 4e Mixed Supernaturals

Thanks! Monster Hunter it is
PencilBoy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.