Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2015, 03:21 AM   #1
CeeDub
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: London, UK
Default Duration limit for Affliction: Advantage

Salutations!

Say Alice can "Afflict" another with an Advantage. The Affliction ability has the Malediction enhancement (waivable resistance) and the limitations Melee Attack (C) and Contact Agent (needs to touch bare skin).

Usually, the target (Bob) would gain the Advantage for a number of minutes equal to Alice's margin of success (or instantly, if it were that kind of advantage). How would you price a limitation that causes the afflicted advantage to last only while Alice touches Bob?
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:55 AM   #2
Varyon
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default Re: Duration limit for Affliction: Advantage

First, we'll need to add Fixed Duration +0% to Affliction to change it from MoS minutes to 3 minutes. Maintaining constant contact is comparable to a duration of only 1 second. To my knowledge, there is no Reduced Duration Limitation. It's arguably fair to make one by using the Extended Duration Enhancement, reading each multiplier as a divisor, and halving (and making negative) the value. A divisor of 180 is right between 100 (-40%) and 300 (-50%), so we'll go with -45%. Technically, this would require Alice to take a Maneuver to maintain it each round, but she wouldn't be restricted by having to keep constant contact (so she could freely Parry, Retreat, and so forth, so long as she gets back into Range C when her turn next comes up). This might be a wash, or we might say it's worth up to +15% or so. So, we're looking at between -45% and -30% for constant contact.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:03 AM   #3
Nereidalbel
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Default Re: Duration limit for Affliction: Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
First, we'll need to add Fixed Duration +0% to Affliction to change it from MoS minutes to 3 minutes. Maintaining constant contact is comparable to a duration of only 1 second. To my knowledge, there is no Reduced Duration Limitation. It's arguably fair to make one by using the Extended Duration Enhancement, reading each multiplier as a divisor, and halving (and making negative) the value. A divisor of 180 is right between 100 (-40%) and 300 (-50%), so we'll go with -45%. Technically, this would require Alice to take a Maneuver to maintain it each round, but she wouldn't be restricted by having to keep constant contact (so she could freely Parry, Retreat, and so forth, so long as she gets back into Range C when her turn next comes up). This might be a wash, or we might say it's worth up to +15% or so. So, we're looking at between -45% and -30% for constant contact.
Reduced Duration exists in Psionic Powers, p21. When you fail to meet the next level of a limitation, you take the value of the lower level, not split the difference. Thus, Reduced Duration 1/180 is -40%. You actually did get that value right, fyi.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:33 AM   #4
Varyon
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default Re: Duration limit for Affliction: Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Reduced Duration exists in Psionic Powers, p21. When you fail to meet the next level of a limitation, you take the value of the lower level, not split the difference. Thus, Reduced Duration 1/180 is -40%. You actually did get that value right, fyi.
Good to know I was in the correct range. One thing I'll note is that Extended Duration works out to +20% per +3 SSR*, and thus Reduced Duration is -10% per -3 SSR. 1/180 is pretty much on-point with -13.5 SSR, which is why I went with -45%.

Of course, I now see that Reduced Duration is indeed in Power Ups 8: Limitations, so I can see how it works. In that case, it is indeed -40% by RAW, as Reduced Duration follows a different scaling than I had anticipated. -40% is x1/100, while -45% would be x1/200.

*SSR is Size and Speed/Range, referring to the table. +1 SSR is +1 step on that table.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:34 AM   #5
Culture20
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default Re: Duration limit for Affliction: Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
Salutations!

Say Alice can "Afflict" another with an Advantage. The Affliction ability has the Malediction enhancement (waivable resistance) and the limitations Melee Attack (C) and Contact Agent (needs to touch bare skin).

Usually, the target (Bob) would gain the Advantage for a number of minutes equal to Alice's margin of success (or instantly, if it were that kind of advantage). How would you price a limitation that causes the afflicted advantage to last only while Alice touches Bob?
If you limit the duration to one second, then you're forcing Alice to roll every second, even while she's touching Bob. An easy method would be to place an accessibility limitation on the afflicted advantage (e.g. DR) so that it only works while Alice touches the person using the advantage. This way, Alice makes fewer rolls, and the advantage ceases to work the instant Alice stops touching the recipient.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:48 PM   #6
CeeDub
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: London, UK
Default Re: Duration limit for Affliction: Advantage

Fixed Duration is an excellent suggestion, at least as a place to start, thank you! Right now I'm tempted to just use 1/10 or 1/20, because I expect nearly all applications of the affliction to last multiple seconds.

There is, however, one more aspect that I neglected to mention: Alice would need to keep taking Concentrate maneuvers for the whole time. No rolls except for the first one, but concentration is required the whole time she bestows the advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
If you limit the duration to one second, then you're forcing Alice to roll every second, even while she's touching Bob. An easy method would be to place an accessibility limitation on the afflicted advantage (e.g. DR) so that it only works while Alice touches the person using the advantage. This way, Alice makes fewer rolls, and the advantage ceases to work the instant Alice stops touching the recipient.
The re-rolls were my immediate concern, too. Not sure what you mean by the DR accessibility restriction, though. Could you elaborate, please?
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 02:28 PM   #7
Culture20
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default Re: Duration limit for Affliction: Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
The re-rolls were my immediate concern, too. Not sure what you mean by the DR accessibility restriction, though. Could you elaborate, please?
DR has nothing to do with it. Let's say the afflicted advantage is Flight. Apply an accessibility limitation of "only while Alice touches you" to the Flight advantage that gets afflicted. Then Alice can touch someone for X minutes before having to reroll, but the instant she stops touching them, the afflicted Flight advantage disappears.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:48 PM   #8
CeeDub
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: London, UK
Default Re: Duration limit for Affliction: Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
DR has nothing to do with it. Let's say the afflicted advantage is Flight. Apply an accessibility limitation of "only while Alice touches you" to the Flight advantage that gets afflicted. Then Alice can touch someone for X minutes before having to reroll, but the instant she stops touching them, the afflicted Flight advantage disappears.
Ah, I see, but how much is that limitation worth?

Also, how much is a variable number of Concentrate maneuvers worth?
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:04 PM   #9
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics
 
roguebfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Melbourne FL, Formerly Wellington NZ
Default Re: Duration limit for Affliction: Advantage

While Fixed Duration is part of the answer.

You can't wave the resistant of an affliction however What you want is instead you want Beneficial Affections

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAQ 3.2.8
I want to use an Affliction to grant bonus to my comrades. How do I go about that?

Reverse the HT roll for beneficial Afflictions; an Affliction that's HT-x to resist instead requires a HT+x to provide its benefits. Duration becomes margin of success instead of margin of failure. Use Based on (Other Attribute) if you'd prefer an IQ roll.

GURPS Powers makes this official.
__________________
Rogue the Bronze Firelizard
Gerald Grenier, Jr. Hail Eris!
Rogue's Weyr
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:04 PM   #10
Nereidalbel
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Default Re: Duration limit for Affliction: Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
While Fixed Duration is part of the answer.

You can't wave the resistant of an affliction however What you want is instead you want Beneficial Affections
False. Malediction allows any target to choose not to resist.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
affliction, reduced duration

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.