Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2015, 10:54 PM   #1
lachimba
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Default Martial Arts questions through Muay Thai

Clinching often enough involves grappling an arm. Is it fair enough to extend the perk to this?

If I kick my opponent three times in a row with the same leg the trainer will usually tell them to anticipate the move. Is it fair enough to allow a bonus when your opponent relies on the same technique or targeted attack?

Targeted attacks seem to be with specific limbs to specific limbs. E.g. right kick to left leg. Would it be fair to allow or require techniques to specify which limb will be used (possibly give them an extra bonus to point balance this)
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:11 AM   #2
weby
 
weby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Default Re: Martial Arts questions through Muay Thai

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
Clinching often enough involves grappling an arm. Is it fair enough to extend the perk to this?
I would not. It is a very powerful perk as it is. I might allow it as alternate perk.

Quote:
If I kick my opponent three times in a row with the same leg the trainer will usually tell them to anticipate the move. Is it fair enough to allow a bonus when your opponent relies on the same technique or targeted attack?
For TA they get a bonus see the end of the box on MA p 68. I personally as GM extended this to all kinds of techniques and in case you do it a lot to others in the same fight.

Quote:
Targeted attacks seem to be with specific limbs to specific limbs. E.g. right kick to left leg. Would it be fair to allow or require techniques to specify which limb will be used (possibly give them an extra bonus to point balance this)
I would not do this, I would just use the normal things like off hand penalties and such.
__________________
--
weby's gaming stuff: http://weby.roto.nu
weby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:45 AM   #3
lachimba
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Default Re: Martial Arts questions through Muay Thai

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
I would not do this, I would just use the normal things like off hand penalties and such.
My other thought was it might be a quirk or low level disadvantage and good for point! Something that better fighters quickly buy off.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:13 AM   #4
T.K.
 
T.K.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Default Re: Martial Arts questions through Muay Thai

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
Clinching often enough involves grappling an arm. Is it fair enough to extend the perk to this?

If I kick my opponent three times in a row with the same leg the trainer will usually tell them to anticipate the move. Is it fair enough to allow a bonus when your opponent relies on the same technique or targeted attack?

Targeted attacks seem to be with specific limbs to specific limbs. E.g. right kick to left leg. Would it be fair to allow or require techniques to specify which limb will be used (possibly give them an extra bonus to point balance this)
There are many cases where nak muay often don't pay attention to repeated strikes to the same body parts, not even blocking, dodging or preparing a counter in advance. It's specially annoying when you're yelling from the corner and the guy/gil simply is to hyped to pay attention to you.
That said, I find it fits perfectly with the "Evaluate" maneuver. If you find it rather weak, you could increase the bonus granted if the attacker is using repeated techniques, for example, instead of the normal +1 from "Evaluate", the nak muay gains +3.

It really depends on how much detail you want to give to it...if it's a Martial Arts campaign I'd say sure, go for it.
If it's simply a martial artist among others, I'd allow TAs to be built a bit more loosely like "Leg to Vitals" instead of "Right leg side kick to the left side vitals" or "Punch to the Head" instead of "Spinning backfist to the head's temple".
T.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:36 AM   #5
aesir23
 
aesir23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vermont
Default Re: Martial Arts questions through Muay Thai

Signature Move and Combinations are the appropriate places for this level of specificity, IMHO.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:14 AM   #6
lachimba
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Default Re: Martial Arts questions through Muay Thai

Push kick

I'm not strong at all but I'd say when I push kick I can push the other fighter back a step (if they aren't braced) so about a yard for gurps. That's even with the double damage a pretty decent roll, I doubt that I'd roll that often. On the other hand I 've never fallen over from a push kick or pushed anyone over.

Is this just sparring not matching up to real life or GURPS?
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:47 AM   #7
Tomsdad
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Default Re: Martial Arts questions through Muay Thai

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
Push kick

I'm not strong at all but I'd say when I push kick I can push the other fighter back a step (if they aren't braced) so about a yard for gurps. That's even with the double damage a pretty decent roll, I doubt that I'd roll that often. On the other hand I 've never fallen over from a push kick or pushed anyone over.

Is this just sparring not matching up to real life or GURPS?
Let's have a look

lets say you have ST10* opponents (so knock-back is threshold is 8*) with skills of DX+1

So kick is going to be 1d* damage, you need 4+ to get the 1 yard knock back


Make it a committed attack and it 3+ (actually if you can soak the penalty the 2nd step option for committed attack and the 1 yard knock back can be a effective technique for creating a lot of distance)

Ultimately there are lots of ways to create distance so I'm never sure about push kick (baring things like opponents back to lava pit etc), but it hasn't come up much so I may be missing something.


As to falling over since realistically it's likely to only ever be 1 yard and its the highest of DX or skill, yeah I agree that falling over to a push kick to the torso is pretty unlikely in controlled sparring / fight situation (i.e no slippery floors or obstacles etc)

*in theory ST, damage and threshold should track with each other (but the standard Thr progression can get in the way of that). Of course "Knowing Your Own Strength" in the latest pyramid has just given unarmed fighter with ST's higher than 10 a boost.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 09-25-2015 at 07:26 AM.
Tomsdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:14 AM   #8
lachimba
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Default Re: Martial Arts questions through Muay Thai

Perhaps I'm all out attacking for damage (knockback) that would make it about right.

We both at most have DX 10 with lower karate so the 50% chance to fall over feels high.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:25 AM   #9
Tomsdad
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Default Re: Martial Arts questions through Muay Thai

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
Perhaps I'm all out attacking for damage (knockback) that would make it about right.

We both at most have DX 10 with lower karate so the 50% chance to fall over feels high.
Well to be honest you may be short changing yourself a bit, since if you skill is less than 10 and Push kick defaults at -3 on top of that you're going to be missing a lot even if your telegraphing

Remember you rolling to stay upright on all kicks that miss as well
Tomsdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:06 AM   #10
lachimba
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Default Re: Martial Arts questions through Muay Thai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
Well to be honest you may be short changing yourself a bit, since if you skill is less than 10 and Push kick defaults at -3 on top of that you're going to be missing a lot even if your telegraphing

Remember you rolling to stay upright on all kicks that miss as well
Hmm yeah I was originally assuming telegraph plus all out attack for the plus four.

I've never fallen over from a missed kick ever nor have my sparring opponents (though I suppose what's a miss or potential hit for me isn't for GURPS). I've had my leg grabbed and tipped over but that's another thing. Perhaps allow a bonus to the dex roll to stand up given it isn't as stressful as a real fight? Doesn't feel right though as the sparring is pretty intense.

Last edited by lachimba; 09-25-2015 at 08:17 AM.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gurps, martial arts, muay thai

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.