Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-08-2015, 03:29 PM   #1
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Vote up a Fantastic (as in Fantasy) Setting:

Vote up a Fantastic (as in Fantasy) Setting:

This is a game of sorts: I will ask a question, and the forum will answer. This will shape a setting -- specifically a fantasy setting. A fantastic world. When I ran the space opera thread I had the goal of making it generic. No such goal exists here. In fact, I want something that isn't generic, and the questions will technically allow us to enter a different genre. What makes this fantasy is the approach we are coming from -- the questions are considered from the point of view of writing something 'fantastic and far-off'.

At any given point there will be a number of questions open for voting. feel free to place votes on them, encourage people to vote your way, and suggest options that I really should have thought of (or are just that awesome).

In cases of ties and heavy feeling towards a direction, I will interpret the will of the forum.

(yes, this has been attempted before. The thread died after a long and engaging but incomplete run. Also, a different forum and different questions are likely to result in a completely different world.)

Current Polls:
What Role does Magic Play?

Ended Polls:
The Shape of the Setting Part 1: The Land : results
The Shape of the Setting Part 2: The People : results

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 04-10-2015 at 03:49 PM.
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:30 PM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Vote up a Fantastic (as in Fantasy) Setting:

reserved for results on voting

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 04-08-2015, 03:36 PM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Shape of the Setting Part 1: The Land

Fantasy has many elements that can be dealt with. In any fantasy setting, some of these are chosen to focus on, and some are completely omitted. This vote isn't about how each element will present itself, but rather the relative importance of each element, and what elements won't be considered at all. To emphasize this, several examples are given under each option. A notable item is absent from the list: magic, who's fate is complicated enough to tackle elsewhere.

Each vote:
++,+,-, or --. You are limited to 4 double votes (++ or --). If you really can't decide, I suppose you can put a 0 on something. but only if you're really torn about if you want to see it or not.

Gods and the Cosmos
:
The PC's adventures will be heavily shaped and driven by the conflicts of the gods. They may or may not get powers from the gods, but the gods interact heavily with the world, and mortals stand at least some chance against them (even if it does take the aid of another god). This includes fighting against dark spirits sealed away and trying to break free, the world of mythical greece, and so forth. This option doesn't specify the form of cosmic interaction, just that cosmic interaction will be present.
Alternate Physics/ World shapes :
The world (or Worlds) have alternate physics or the world doesn't have its real world shape. The classic example is islands floating in the sky, but it also includes entirely subterranian worlds, worlds with an edge you can go over and explore, places where time runs more slowly, and weather patterns that include a five year winter every century.
Multiple Worlds :
There are many worlds one can travel to. This could be about traveling to different mystic realms, such as faerie, hell, or elemental plane of fire. It could also refer to traveling to other planets in a swords and planets or spell jammer type setting. It also includes traveling to other fantasy worlds, like in a collegio januari or death gate cycle type setting.
Strange Biology:
The life, particuarly the animals, of the setting are different from those on earth. Most fantasy has some of this, but only some emphasizes it. The aspect of biology explored here isn't specified. The animals could be different because they have magic (rust inducing termites, invisible jaguars,impossibly strong bison), or they could just be shaped different. Or it could even be about plants with strange growing patterns or abilities (poppies that put people around them to sleep, beanstalks that grow 500 feet high)
Magical Landscape:
Magic works better in different places. Different kinds of magic works better in different places, and this shapes the face of the setting. There may even be different kinds of magic. It is possible that we will have non-traditional or even super-science instead of magic. This options still indicates magical resources will have an important geography to them.

I wish to emphasize once again that this is about what elements are important, not what elements are present. If we vote against religion, the setting can still have religion, but it won't drive conflicts and it won't shape the setting. If we vote against alternate humans, we can still have elves, but they will be fairly bland and human like, and I won't present them for voting much. If we vote against magical landscapes, thats not to say that ley lines and no-magic zones don't exist, its to say the largest city in the world doesn't rely on the very high mana zone at its center.

In a nice list you can copy and edit slightly to record your vote:

Gods and the Cosmos
Alternate Physics/ World shapes
Multiple Worlds
Strange Biology
Magical Landscape

feel free to try and influence others to vote a certain way, or to point out something I might want to add to the list.

Last edited by ericthered; 04-08-2015 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:37 PM   #4
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

my vote:
Spoiler:  

I voted for Magical landscape twice because I think fighting over magical resources gives magic a richer role in settings, and gives the non-mages a stake in the magic.

I voted for Multiple Worlds twice because I like the feeling of place the different worlds give. You can get that feeling through other means, but I want to make sure here.

I voted for Strange Biology twice because I like strange creatures. That stuff is fascinating.

(yes, you can have four double votes, but I didn't see anything I really hated or really wanted to see, so I didn't use one -- and I am saving it for part 2)

Last edited by ericthered; 04-08-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:38 PM   #5
whswhs

That's too long a list for me to think about. Could you possibly break it up into stages with only half a dozen or so choices per stage?

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:39 PM   #6
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
That's too long a list for me to think about. Could you possibly break it up into stages with only half a dozen or so choices per stage?
sure. I'll split it in two...

Old 04-08-2015, 03:43 PM   #7
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Shape of the setting Part 2: People

Fantasy has many elements that can be dealt with. In any fantasy setting, some of these are chosen to focus on, and some are completely omitted. This vote isn't about how each element will present itself, but rather the relative importance of each element, and what elements won't be considered at all. To emphasize this, several examples are given under each option.

Part 2 focuses on the inhabitants of the setting

Each vote:
++,+,-, or --. You are limited to 4 double votes (++ or --). If you really can't decide, I suppose you can put a 0 on something. but only if you're really torn about if you want to see it or not.

Monsters
:
The setting has dangerous creatures without intelligence or at least without organization. They are capable of standing up to the might of man and his tools, and can either match him or overwhelm him. These might be dragons (that don't care to rule or organize themselves), Sentient but destructive storms, or destructive ogres. They do not organize themselves, and cannot be reasoned with, at least not on a large scale.
Spirits/Demons/Dragons:
The setting has powerful creatures with human-like (or greater) intelligence that are more powerful than mere men. They interact with humans, but that makes dealing with them more complicated, not safer. A good deal of societies resources goes into countering, accomodating, or adjusting to the effects of these beings. This could be demons trying to invade the world, a handful of humans who gain incredible magical power, or genus loci that require the locals to worship them.
Alternate Humans:
The setting has beings that are mostly human, but different. Perhaps they live 1,000 years, can see in the dark, are bigger and stronger, can turn into cats, or have fur. Hobbits, Marshwiggles, rubber forehead aliens, and Neanderthals are all possible. These "Races" mostly think like humans, have human shapes, and behave in humans ways.
Talking Beasts:
The setting has creatures with great intelligence who aren't really human. They have a diferent physical form. They are still very much part of the material world, but can be very inhuman. Talking wolves count, but so do hive dwelling insect men, weaker versions of dragons, and starfish aliens.
Spirits/Magical Beings:
These are intelligent people/things that don't live a 'mortal' existence. They live off of human emotions, mana, are beings of pure energy, echo's of souls, animated by dark magic, and so on. This category includes vampires, many faeries, most demons, ghosts, and zombies.
Cultural Clash:
The setting has multiple cultures, and these cultures clash and contrast. The cultures could be different races, or they could just be different tribes of humans. The cultures and their differences are an important feature of the setting. This isn't just about mortal conflict: the societies will be quite different from each other.
Stratified Societies:
The societies in the culture have structures that are important to them, and to the plot. Or the pointedly have an equal society (not the norm in most fantasy settings). At any rate, these things are important. Being a noble or a peasant means a lot in this setting.
Religious Beliefs:
The religion(s) of the settings will be detailed, and a key part of the setting. They may or may not be true. They may or may not be confirmed. But they shape the lives of the people in the setting. This includes simply taking real life religions and using them, possibly filing the serial numbers off, or completely creating something new. Note this is independent of what we choose on how interactive the gods are.

Cultural Clash
Stratified societies
Religious Beliefs
Monsters
Spirits/Demons/Dragons
Alternate Humans
Talking Beasts
Spirits/Magical Beings

Old 04-08-2015, 03:47 PM   #8
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

my vote Part 2:

Spoiler:  

I didn't feel particularly strong about any of these, so I didn't use my last double vote.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:52 PM   #9
Landwalker

Spoiler:  

I honestly felt most of these categories were too broad to give a single rating to—I'm very particular about my particulars, so within a given category I could range from ++ to -- if I really made an effort to. As such, my votes have a number of qualifications and a lot of "no votes" due to "eh" feeling.
Landwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:06 PM   #10
Crzyraccoon

Part 1

Gods and the Cosmos --
There are no gods or cosmic powers

Alternate Physics/ World shapes -
Not much like real life, but not too different.

Multiple Worlds --
There is only one beautiful world

Strange Biology ++
The creatures here are very strange, so strange that modern biology would see them as impossible

Magical Landscape +
There are quite abit of magic, but its difficult to use it as it take alot of energy.

Part 2

Cultural Clash ++
There are very different cultures with very different views on the world and make that world much like their ideals.

Stratified societies 0

Religious Beliefs +
Some cultures have religions, but most are atheists.

Monsters -
There are not really monsters, due to most being very intelligent

Spirits/Demons/Dragons +
There are dragons!

Alternate Humans 0

Talking Beasts ++
Alot of talking beasts that live among others

Spirits/Magical Beings --
No spirits!!

No Sense of Humor [-10]
Crzyraccoon is offline   Reply With Quote