Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 01-18-2006, 02:06 AM   #1
Methariel

Default The Word of Courage

Hello everybody,

so I'd just like to know how many Word Forces you'd think appropriate for the Word of Courage and who do you think holds this Word.
My personal opinion is that courage is something that's needed in every walk of life and by every imaginable person, so the Word of Courage has to be a Major Word, perhaps with even 18 Word Forces.
And its holder... Well, I imagine a Malakite (or perhaps a Cherub) of War as the best candidate, because courage is needed most in struggles, especially if one is trying to hold his ground in spite of being outnumbered.
But perhaps it's equally well served by a Malakite (or Cherub) of Destiny, for it often takes courage to make the right decisions.
And what do you mean?

Methariel

Last edited by Methariel; 01-18-2006 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Misspelling and adding the Servitor of Destiny
Methariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:15 AM   #2
DarkSeraph

Default Re: The Word of Courage

I agree that it would certainly be a major Word, in the 15-20 forces range. As for the Choir of the holder, I suppose it could be any provided the Superior in question found him/her worthy. I'm sure it's a Word most Malakim would love to hold, but there's no reason a Mercurian can't have beaten them to it.

When it comes to which Archangel it would fall under, I'd say War would be on top of the list, with Dreams a close second and Destiny third.
DarkSeraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:34 AM   #3
Moonsword

Cherub or Malakim of Judgment, perhaps, depending on exactly how you see Dominic in your campaign. For that matter, it might even be an Elohim of one of the above archangels, using their dispassion to rationally support a word that could otherwise be too weighed down in individual perception.

Other possible Superiors for Courage are Laurence, David (less likely), Gabriel, or even Novalis or Khalid. It really depends on how the word is perceived and interpreted.
Moonsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:04 AM   #4
William

If you're planning to use such an angel in your campaign, bear in mind that Baal may bear him some personal animosity; Courage is very close to his original Word, Valor.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:47 PM   #5
Padre

Quote:
Originally Posted by William
If you're planning to use such an angel in your campaign, bear in mind that Baal may bear him some personal animosity; Courage is very close to his original Word, Valor.
Is there any particular reason why angels haven't been placed to replace those words lost in the Fall, by the way? Is it the hope that the demon Princes will eentually redeemd and retake their words that has heaven keeping them open? Or does Andrealphus stll retain some power over the word of Love in soe metaphysicsal sense? Or is it likely that a new Angl of Love would simply be killed really quickly by the Horde?

Love, in particular, seems a powerful word to simply be going to waste at the moment.

On what about replacements for Oannaes and Raphael? Too soon? Disrespectful? Prevented by some cosmic force?
I'm going to guess this is in the GMG. Which will be MINE! This weekedn, if I can swing it. Shame my Frindly Local Game Shop is actually a train ride away... *sigh*
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:51 AM   #6
alexondria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre
Is there any particular reason why angels haven't been placed to replace those words lost in the Fall, by the way? Is it the hope that the demon Princes will eentually redeemd and retake their words that has heaven keeping them open? Or does Andrealphus stll retain some power over the word of Love in soe metaphysicsal sense? Or is it likely that a new Angl of Love would simply be killed really quickly by the Horde?

Love, in particular, seems a powerful word to simply be going to waste at the moment.

On what about replacements for Oannaes and Raphael? Too soon? Disrespectful? Prevented by some cosmic force?
I'm going to guess this is in the GMG. Which will be MINE! This weekedn, if I can swing it. Shame my Frindly Local Game Shop is actually a train ride away... *sigh*
I don't remember it saying anything about why Raphael's word wasn't given to someone else- only that most of it have fallen to Yves and Jean if I remember correctly. As for the others I can't remember it saying one way or the other as to wether or not they have been given to anyone but, their are still a small number of angels serving love that are very big targets so I immage one that was giving the word would be a huge target.
alexondria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:28 AM   #7
RadLilim

Quote:

I think I do remember reading somewhere (it might be the GPG) that no Word that was lost due to the holder falling has been replaced. I think the reason was somewhere in the CDaU area. I seem to remember that it said that no one knew why the Word couldn't be reassigned, including the Council. I think the same was said if a Word holder was redeemed also.

However, a Word can be granted to someone of the opposing side after they get there (i.e. Fire).

Wanna buy one? - Radueriel, Free Lilim
RadLilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:42 AM   #8
Blackwing

Perhaps the right candidate for the Words have not been found (yet?). Raphael was lost just a short time ago on a cosmic timescale.

Of course, a new Wordbound of Laughter, Love, Valor or Fear would indeed be on the top of a very old and canny Demon Prince's personal hit list. That tends to discourage Archangels from essentially sacrificing a talented and powerful servitor to likely a very short career as a Wordbound.

Or the new Wordbound could just stay in Heaven for the rest of his life. His Word wouldn't grow much, though and his possible servitors would be hunted mercilessly.

Maybe Michael is saving a batch of likely candidates as a distraction tactic for just before the Final Battle.

Word of Courage: most likely candidate for it would be a Malakite, Seraph or Elohite of War, the Sword, Judgment, Protection, Destiny or Faith. Although a Malakite of Flowers or Dreams might be a good choice if very different in mindset.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:41 PM   #9
William

Quote:
Is there any particular reason why angels haven't been placed to replace those words lost in the Fall, by the way? Is it the hope that the demon Princes will eventually redeem and retake their words that has heaven keeping them open? Or does Andrealphus stll retain some power over the word of Love in soe metaphysicsal sense? Or is it likely that a new Angel of Love would simply be killed really quickly by the Horde?
The last is the most likely. Fallen demons hold no particular power over their old Words, but canonically the Fallen Princes made a habit of hunting down any ex-Servitors that didn't Fall with them; anyone that dared take their old Word would be asking for a more intense version of same.

There's also the fact that a powerful, broad Word needs a highly qualified holder. God assigned the Word of Love; the Seraphim Council would have to be exceedingly sure its candidate was the best available and strong enough to handle the burden before assigning a new holder.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:20 PM   #10
DarkSeraph

Also remember what happened to Gabriel when Belial was granted the Infernal Word of Fire. She's an archangel, and a pretty old and powerful one at that. Imagine what would happen to a mere servitor who was given, say, the Word of Fear (which was Beleth's Word even before she fell). The poor angel would be reduced to a quivering lump in no time.
DarkSeraph is offline   Reply With Quote