Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-10-2015, 03:32 PM   #11
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Blog: Worlds Beyond Earth

Today I present: Cloak and Dagger Spaceships

GURPS Spaceships is a marvelous framework, but do you feel it needs work to become something? I do. And I want to share that work. This is a set of fairly minor rules tweeks that should allow you to play hide and go seek in space. It works with all settings, but is particularly designed for harder science fiction.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:43 PM   #12
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Another monster. This one actually works best as a demon for once, and fits standard Monster Hunters better than the other monsters I've made.

Is your PC playing around with demons, sure in his wards and compulsions? or do you need to bring back that set of demons that was so much fun last time? The Mage Slaver is here to help you -- a demon that preys on experienced summoners rather than ignorant ones.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 03-24-2015, 02:19 PM   #13
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Having figured out how to place javascript on the blog, I am now able to share random generators with you.

My first offering is the NPC generator

I have had this tool for a long time, and I lean heavily on it. This is is large part because my dominant campaign type is a solo campaign where the PC moves from group to group rapidly enough to make making an individual a lot of work, but interacts with groups enough to need fairly robust stats. From there, it has moved to being a central part of my GMing.

This is mainly a tool for flavour, not one for balance. It gives NPC's character and lets me treat them as people: something I'm fond of and believe is a core part of GMing (at least for some styles).

I hope you enjoy it.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:35 PM   #14
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Monster Hunters foe generator

This generator is a supplement and tool for use with MH3:The Enemy.

It will generate paths for enemy mages, and powers for various rouge enemies, but the most work has gone into expanded demon variation. Other posts exist explaining how to use demon tables to make fae, but you have a lot of power to inspire yourself with this generator.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:57 PM   #15
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I have other generators I would like to put up (I use them extensively) but I'm not sure where I stand on copyright. On the one hand, they are useful tools fully intended to supplement GURPS products, but these are complete enough I'm hesitant to but them out there. To be clear, these are generators I've already written:

History Generator (Turning points of History, Pyramid 44). This is the one I'm pretty sure I shouldn't put out there -- once you have the generator, there is not much left of the article. But its sad, because once I had the tool building local histories went from painful to simple.
Alien Generator (From Gurps: Space): This is a only slightly custom version of the random alien generator (the limb tables are just a little different, and intelligence is weighted towards the likely candidates a little more heavily). Control is limited, but it does allow you to ask for certain types of creature
World Generator (From Gurps: Space): This generates a single psuedo-habitable world (world, not system) using a system based on gurps' advanced world-building tools (it keeps trying until it gets a valid system). It compares the system to earth. Right now I also have it generating what stage the life on it is in (single cell, ocean only, ect) and a bunch of stuff about how compatible with life the local ecosystem is (I will probably cut that stuff out). It gives a number of habitability ratings.
World Generator (From Gurps: Infinite Worlds): This is a automated version of the quanta generator in the chapter 'Worlds without number'. Its been tweaked a bit (superpowers don't come up) but includes extra civilizations, including fantasy races, and a number of settings you can play around with to generate worlds. It does both custom alternate worlds and just the random world table.

The questions are: which of these are acceptable to make public (as in on this forum)? Which of these do you want to see?

Old 03-30-2015, 06:05 PM   #16
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Monster Hunters foe generator

This generator is a supplement and tool for use with MH3:The Enemy.

It will generate paths for enemy mages, and powers for various rouge enemies, but the most work has gone into expanded demon variation. Other posts exist explaining how to use demon tables to make fae, but you have a lot of power to inspire yourself with this generator.
That post just earned you a place on my link list on my blog. Well done. Very well done.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:43 PM   #17
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Reasons to invade earth

Its good to have an invasion. But sometimes the reasoning behind an invasion breaks down. Here are my thoughts on making an invasion of earth make sense.

And if you think any invasion of earth makes no sense, this is doubly for you!

Old 04-20-2015, 03:37 PM   #18
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

RPM:Permanant Rituals

This is a system for RPM enchantment. Its simple and straitforward. The main limits are that it can only do things that a ritual can do, that it is limited by skill and cannot be boosted by grimoires or places of power, and that each new enchantment is a new invention.

I hope you find it useful.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:19 AM   #19
Ottriman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Today I present: Cloak and Dagger Spaceships

GURPS Spaceships is a marvelous framework, but do you feel it needs work to become something? I do. And I want to share that work. This is a set of fairly minor rules tweeks that should allow you to play hide and go seek in space. It works with all settings, but is particularly designed for harder science fiction.
I do agree that the gurps spaceships rules can be overly constraining at times, also that the spaceship combat rules are mathy and impersonal.

However I also do not agree with hide and seek glass cannons, I tend to give hardened armor for free and divide injury to ship by 2 to make the spacecraft have durability that matters.
Ottriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:36 AM   #20
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottriman View Post
I do agree that the gurps spaceships rules can be overly constraining at times, also that the spaceship combat rules are mathy and impersonal.

However I also do not agree with hide and seek glass cannons, I tend to give hardened armor for free and divide injury to ship by 2 to make the spacecraft have durability that matters.
Oh, its not an argument that all spaceships should be hide and seek glass cannons. Its on how to do hide and seek glass cannons if that's what you want. I plan to put out other stuff on how to do other styles.

The rules in spaceships are great, it just can sometimes be tricky to make them do what you want.

Tags
blog, blogs