Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 02-07-2015, 06:22 PM   #1
MiB1213

Default Issues with Magery

Can someone please explain to me how this works in GCA. I just started using the GCA and decided to make a simply mage. I gave him an IQ of 11 with a Magery of +1. Up to that point the deducted Character Points were correct.
Started with 150 and now have a total of 115.
I went to purchase just one spell, Purify Air, which the CA set to a level of 9 at a cost of 1. This is two point below this characters IQ. If according to the rules of magic you purchase spells just like skills, Purify Air at Attribute + 0(making it equal to my IQ) would cost 4 points, BUT since Magery +1 allows this character to learn the spell as if his IQ was an 12 that would still cost him 4 points if I wanted it to be equal to his IQ. Now raising the spell level to match the value of his IQ(without taking into account Magery +1) using the CA costs 4 points. This seems, by my math to be correct, though raising it one more point to match the bonus from Magery costs a total of 8. Seems that the CA will not adjust for the addition of Magery +1.
Unless I'm missing something here this seems to be incorrect and sorta of annoying to me since if you were making a bunch of spell casters you'd have to keep a separate tally of the points being spent and not go by the Used/Unused one as shown in the CA. Anyone run into this or what am I doing wrong?
Old 02-07-2015, 07:29 PM   #2
WingedKagouti

Default Re: Issues with Magery

If I do the same I get skill 10 with Purify Air, whether I use my usual data files or just Basic. Do you have any special rules data files loaded?
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:32 PM   #3
MiB1213

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
If I do the same I get skill 10 with Purify Air, whether I use my usual data files or just Basic. Do you have any special rules data files loaded?
Not that I'm aware. I just installed it, I believe, as I downloaded it.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:46 PM   #4
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Are you sure you've installed the latest version of the Program and Data Files?
In the Spells tab is the color of the text for Purify Air blue?

Go to Tools -> Resynchronize and resync the Attributes and Advantages. It sounds like the bonus from Magery may not trickling through; Magery is complex in that it does not give a direct bonus to spells; this was a necessary construct in order to correctly incorporate Single College and Limited College Magery limitations.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:00 PM   #5
MiB1213

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Are you sure you've installed the latest version of the Program and Data Files?
In the Spells tab is the color of the text for Purify Air blue?

Go to Tools -> Resynchronize and resync the Attributes and Advantages. It sounds like the bonus from Magery may not trickling through; Magery is complex in that it does not give a direct bonus to spells; this was a necessary construct in order to correctly incorporate Single College and Limited College Magery limitations.
Yes the color is blue. It had noticed that earlier as well when I first noticed the problem. I had found data file section and it more than just the basic set files loaded. I have since removed all the extras files leaving just the basic set file. I went back and started the same steps as earlier and it seems to have fixed the problem.
Thank you both for the help.
Now my question is why does it set the level of the selected skill lower than the IQ of the character being made?
Old 02-07-2015, 08:06 PM   #6
MiB1213

So after all that, it all finally works and the math makes sense. I print out the character sheet to really look at it and I noticed that it omitted the actually level of the spell on the printed character sheet.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:07 PM   #7
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiB1213 View Post
Now my question is why does it set the level of the selected skill lower than the IQ of the character being made?
GCA always adds skills at 1 point.

All spells are IQ/H; 1 point in an IQ/H skill buys it at IQ-2. Even with a +1 bonus from Magery it'll be lower than the characters IQ.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:13 PM   #8
MiB1213

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
GCA always adds skills at 1 point.

All spells are IQ/H; 1 point in an IQ/H skill buys it at IQ-2. Even with a +1 bonus from Magery it'll be lower than the characters IQ.
Great that clears that up. I thank you kind sir.

Tags
gca, magery