Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2015, 11:31 AM   #1
vaughnerich
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Default General question about when to play Items and how Charity works.

1. Backpack? (Not the card.) How does this inactive equipables/items backpack work? I didnt know about this so perhaps people had to charity lot more than they should have.

2. Equipping items when? The rulesheet and Tabletop make it seem that you only first initially equip your character at the start of your first turn, we played this way but other players thought it was weird cuz they couldnt offer anything in terms of combat aid since all were just level one. Although I suppose they could still use one shots to help.

3. Charity. If you defeated a monster and got a few treasures that put you over the 5 card limit, can you equip some then? Can you put some of these in this "backpack" if you cant equip them due to certain reasons? I would assume you could at least try to sell them for a level if you cant equip them. Perhaps if you didnt have enough for a level youd want to store them in this backpack for later sale. Can you play curses on others to get down to the 5 card limit?

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 01-27-2015 at 03:32 PM.
vaughnerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:57 PM   #2
MunchkinMan
Super Moderator
 
MunchkinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Macungie, PA
Default Re: General question about when to play Items and how Charity works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnerich View Post
1. Backpack? (Not the card.) How does this inactive equipables/items backpack work? I didnt know about this so perhaps people had to charity lot more than they should have.
There's no such term as "backpack" in the game, and people have different definitions for it when they mention it, so we avoid it. However, according to the rules, you can carry (i.e., have in play) any number of small Items and one Big one, so if you put an Item into play and can't use it, you turn it sideways. That's all there is to it. You might not be able to use an Item if you aren't the right Class or gender, or if you're already using an Item that you can use one of (like Armor).

Quote:
2. Equipping items when? The rulesheet and Tabletop make it seem that you only first initially equip your character at the start of your first turn, we played this way but other players thought it was weird cuz they couldnt offer anything in terms of combat aid since all were just level one. Although I suppose they could still use one shots to help.
At the start of the game, before anyone takes a turn, everyone can play Items and Classes, yes, but the rules say you can play new Items to be carried at any time during your turn, as long as you're not in combat, and whenever you get them (again, assuming you're not in combat). One shot Items are a notable exception about playing new Items during combat, but if you do play them during combat, the one-shot Item has to be used in the combat.

The callout box "When You May Take Actions" on page 2 says this:

Quote:
At any time:
  • Discard a Class.
  • Play a Go Up a Level or Ally.
  • Play a Curse.

At any time. . . Well, as long as you are not in combat:
  • Trade an Item with another player (the other player may not be in combat, either).
  • Change which Items you have equipped.
  • Play a card that you have just received (some cards may be played even during combat; see above).

On your own turn:
  • Play a new Class (at any time).
  • Sell Items for levels (except when you are in combat).
  • Play an Item (most Items cannot be played during combat, but some One-Shot Items can).
So, as long as you're not in combat, even if it's not your turn, you can change which Items you have equipped, as long as your setup is legal (i.e., you can't decide to equip an Item you couldn't use).

Quote:
3. Charity. If you defeated a monster and got a few treasures that put you over the 5 card limit, can you equip some then? Can you put some of these in this "backpack" if you cant equip them due to certain reasons? I would assume you could at least try to sell them for a level if you cant equip them. Perhaps if you didnt have enough for a level youd want to store them in this backpack for later sale. Can you play curses on others to get down to the 5 card limit?
If it's your turn, you can play any Items you got as a result of combat because it's your turn, and you're no longer in combat. You can also play Curses at any time. So, yes, you can play Curses and put Items into play to get your hand to 5 cards or less. If you play Items, you could play them sideways to indicate they are unused, or play them as equipped. You can also switch which Items you have used and unused.

One other thing to remember: You can sell Items directly from your hand. You don't have to play them to sell them. However, if you want to trade Items, you can only trade Items that are in play.
__________________
Erik D. Zane
Munchkin NetRep -- munchkin@sjgames.com
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.