Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 01-17-2015, 12:54 PM   #1
ammulder

Default [OOC] Feb 2065: Div 15 at the Double Drum

This thread was be the home for duel updates for a Car Wars event (now completed). Players can send me move/fire orders by e-mail at ammulder@gmail.com

The event rules are:
  • This event will take place in the Double Drum. Each vehicle will be randomly assigned to one of the eight gates.
  • There's a $15,000 total cost limit
  • Anything in Car Wars Classic is fair game, except for the Portable Shop and Searchlights. (I'll be going off the PDF, for what it's worth.) A cycle (with or without sidecar) or a trike is OK, but only one vehicle per entrant.
  • Each vehicle may have a Driver only or a Driver and a Gunner (no passengers). All characters should be 30 pts. You may put all the points in one skill, but characters without the appropriate Driver, Gunner, or Handgunner skill will suffer the penalties described under those skills in the rules.
  • Reflex rolls will be fixed at 4.
  • Vehicles start at any speed up to 30 mph plus 2 turns worth of acceleration, from the approach to the arena gate. No shooting allowed by a vehicle and no points awarded to the vehicle until it moves into the arena.
  • Points awarded are 2 for a mobility kill, 2 for a firepower kill (4 for a total kill), and 5 for each figure-eight completed around the drums (no partial credit on that one).
  • The duel ends at 15 points or when only one vehicle remains mobile. Finishers will be scored based on points accumulated at that moment.
  • Gates will remain open if anyone chooses to bail.
  • Crew members are strongly encouraged to wear Body Armor, and may use any hand weapons they like. However, once a crew member leaves a vehicle, that vehicle can no longer score points.
  • Dropped weapons are allowed anywhere except "near" the central gap between the drums. Use your judgement. If the fans feel you've gone over the line, they may make special offers to the other drivers to dispose of you.

Once we get underway, orders will be due Monday and Thursday by 8 PM Eastern. If you go one phase without orders, I'll try to make a sensible conservative move and you will take no firing actions. If you go two consecutive phases without orders, you're out. However, you can give me advance orders if needed, or contact me if there are special circumstances.

Links to follow the progress of the game:
(P1-P5 is the phase, M=movement, F=firing, *=some firing resolved, X=casualties)
Quote:
Vehicle Descriptions and Gate Assignments
Turn 1: P1M P1F P2M P2F P3M* P3F P4M P4F P5M* P5F End*
Turn 2: P1M P1F P2M* P2F P3M* P3F P4M* P4F P5M P5F End*
Turn 3: P1M P1FX P2M P2F P3M* P3F P4M* P4F P5M P5F End*
Turn 4: P1M P1F P2M* P2F P3M P3F P4M P4F P5M* P5FX EndX
Turn 5: P1M P1F P2M* P2F P3M P3F P4M P4F P5M P5F End
Turn 6: P1M P1F P2M P2F P3M P3F P4M P4F P5M P5F End*
Turn 7: P1M P1F P2M P2F P3M* P3F* P4M P4F P5MX P5F End*
Turn 8: P1M P1F P2M* P2F P3M P3F P4M P4FX P5M P5F
Turn 9: P1M P1F P2M P2F P3M P3F P4M P4F P5M P5F
Turn 10: P1M P1F P2M P2F P3M P3F P4M P4F P5M P5F
Turn 11: P1M P1F P2M P2F P3M P3F P4M P4F P5M P5F End
Turn 12: P1M P1F P2M P2F P3M* P3F P4M P4F P5M P5F
Turn 13: P1M P1F P2M P2F P3M P3F P4M P4F P5M P5F
Turn 14: P1M P1F P2M P2F P3M P4 P5
Turn 15: P1 P2 P3 P4 P5
END OF DUEL
Final Victory Points:
  • Yellow Turtle: 18 (two figure-8s, full kill on Lightshow2, full kill on Ghost Pepper Aftermath)
  • Ghost Pepper Aftermath: 13 (one figure-8, full kill on BEI - 2065 Inferno Mk. II, full kill on Yellow Turtle)
  • BEI - 2065 Inferno Mk. II: 6 (firepower kill on Hotshot, full kill on Drachen)
  • Hotshot: 4 (full kill on Green Machine)
  • Green Machine: 2 (mobility kill on Hotshot)
Progress toward figure-eight points: End of Turn 5 End of Turn 7 End of Turn 10

Last edited by ammulder; 03-28-2017 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Turn links updated
ammulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:57 PM   #2
eighteez

Default Re: [OOC] Feb 2065: Div 15 at the Double Drum

Question:

"Car Wars Classic"

Where can I find a definition of what this entails?

Also, I am trying the vehicle builder tool here: http://carwars.opentools.org/

If I rely on this and choose "classic" will that take care of it? Its been years since I've played and I'm just not familiar with the different styles of play. Classic vs whatever else there is.

See pic here
eighteez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 02:10 PM   #3
ammulder

I updated the first post with a link to the Car Wars Classic set. There's a recent box set you may be able to find in a physical store, or you can buy the PDF from the link above. It is a more limited rules set compared to the old Compendium, but I'm taking it for a spin here since it's the most recent published rule set. Some of the differences are described here: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=130612

You should be fine building a car using the Combat Garage set to the "Classic" tech level (which is the default).
Old 01-17-2015, 02:15 PM   #4
eighteez

Great. I picked up the classic pdf from the store.

Do we email you our designs when completed?
Old 01-17-2015, 02:33 PM   #5
ammulder

Yes. Once your design is saved, you can just e-mail me the link from the "share" button on the design screen of the Combat Garage. (And if you didn't use the Combat Garage, you can e-mail me whatever format you have.)
Old 01-17-2015, 06:59 PM   #6
possumknavel

How are you going to determine gate placement? - Just curious.

Could you clarify a firepower kill? I think as long as you have a grenade or can move, you can still impact the game. What if I have a turret as my only weapon and it gets shot off? Am I a firepower kill even though I can still move and potentially ram someone without a ramplate?

-John
possumknavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:13 PM   #7
ammulder

I would consider all those examples a firepower kill. If all you have left is hand weapons, that's a firepower kill. If you have only a ramplate and you lose your front armor, that's a firepower kill (if instead you lose your mobility it would be a total kill). The point of a firepower kill (in this event) is not that you can no longer affect the game, but that your vehicular weapons are no more. If you never mounted any weapons to begin with (e.g. you're going to race only) or you use up all your ammo on your own (e.g. the Heavy Rocket-mobile), then someone can only get 4 points for a total kill on you and there's no 2/2 for firepower/mobility.

As for the gates: die roll (the gates marked on the map are numbered so it's easy enough)
Old 01-19-2015, 11:21 AM   #8
eighteez

The laps around. Do those have to be in a particular direction?
Old 01-19-2015, 11:50 AM   #9
ammulder

Nope, but it has to be a figure eight, so if you go clockwise around one drum, you have to cross over and go counter-clockwise around the other and then pass by where you started.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:10 PM   #10
eighteez

Are the side tunnels open?