Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-19-2014, 08:32 AM   #1
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default [RPM] buffing weapons to do damage for a duration

I am about to play a MH game as a witch, and one of the stunts I want to be able to pull off is buffing a weapon. It appears that the most obvious route, adding a damage modifier and a duration is both illegal and overpowered. So I'm trying to figure out something else.

Is the proper way to do this 'add an innate attack'? either follow through or linked?

For example, making a knife blaze with fire could be built as follows:

Greater Create Energy(6) + Added attributes 2d Burning attack (melee C,1 -20%, linked +10%) (9)+ duration 10 minutes (1) = 48 (16*3)

On the other hand, a hand gun with rof 3 recoil 2, range 200/2000 enchanted especially to destroy undead, but that only works on penetrating their flesh, would look like this:
Lesser Destroy Undead(3) + Added attributes 3d toxic attack (follow up on rapid fire 3 +50% recoil 2 -10% range *20 +40%,only vs. undead -20%) (19)+ duration 10 minutes (1) = 23

Am I building this right? or should I be using bestow a bonus or the damage-duration combination instead? And should I be adding the weapon weights?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:03 AM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: [RPM] buffing weapons to do damage for a duration

Bestows a Bonus is the canonical way to do it. See this post.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
PK

Note that, per the usual GURPS rules, it's a special effect to change every +2 to damage into +1/die. That is, if your weapon does 5d+2 damage, and you pay for "a +4 damage bonus," it's legit to interpret that as "a +2/die damage bonus" and call it a net 5d+12.

As for weapon weight, I'd say that yes you do, because I can't picture a spell that increases damage done that doesn't effect a physical change in the weapon. Even just "it swings faster and hits harder" is a physical change. (And trying to get around that by saying something like, "It has a mystical field that causes instant necrosis in the wound, inflicting more damage," is just an argument for paying for the weight of your victim instead!)

BTW, it's worth mentioning that several people here have argued that Bestows a Bonus/Penalty should "flatten out" rather than continue to double, and while I don't plan on retroactively changing the existing mechanic, I do support this as an optional rule -- one that I'm planning to work into a future supplement (as an official optional rule). Basically, at +/-3 or higher, use a flat 4*(D-2) for Narrow, 8*(D-2) for Moderate, and 20*(D-2) for Broad, where "D" is the degree of bonus or penalty.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}

Last edited by PK; 12-19-2014 at 10:12 AM.
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:55 AM   #4
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Note that, per the usual GURPS rules, it's a special effect to change every +2 to damage into +1/die. That is, if your weapon does 5d+2 damage, and you pay for "a +4 damage bonus," it's legit to interpret that as "a +2/die damage bonus" and call it a net 5d+12.
Um Are you Sure of the numbers? 'cause this contradicts the Dice adds that +3 is +1d and +7 is + 2d not +2 and +4
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:23 PM   #5
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Um Are you Sure of the numbers? 'cause this contradicts the Dice adds that +3 is +1d and +7 is + 2d not +2 and +4
You're misreading me. I didn't say "every +2 becomes +1d." I said that "every +2 becomes +1/die" -- that is, +1 damage per die. And this is a standard thing for GURPS; see the rules for All-Out Attack (Strong) for the most common instance.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:40 PM   #6
the_matrix_walker

That +2 can be converted to +1 per die is a huge revelation.

So instead of Swing +2, a fine broadsword can do Swing+1 per die... Nice.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 06:34 PM   #7
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
BTW, it's worth mentioning that several people here have argued that Bestows a Bonus/Penalty should "flatten out" rather than continue to double, and while I don't plan on retroactively changing the existing mechanic, I do support this as an optional rule -- one that I'm planning to work into a future supplement (as an official optional rule). Basically, at +/-3 or higher, use a flat 4*(D-2) for Narrow, 8*(D-2) for Moderate, and 20*(D-2) for Broad, where "D" is the degree of bonus or penalty.
Damn, I likes this. That's a good idea, Hoss.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:52 PM   #8
corwyn

Quote:
"per the usual GURPS rules" - is this stated as a general rule anywhere or are we just supposed to infer it from the (sometimes stated and sometimes not) examples scattered through the rules. For example, it states this for All-out attack but does not do so for very fine weapons (where it merely says +3 for cutting and impaling attacks).

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:04 PM   #9
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
"per the usual GURPS rules" - is this stated as a general rule anywhere or are we just supposed to infer it from the (sometimes stated and sometimes not) examples scattered through the rules. For example, it states this for All-out attack but does not do so for very fine weapons (where it merely says +3 for cutting and impaling attacks).
Actually, you're completely right that I was a bit too glib there. It would have been far more accurate for me to have said this . . .

Most GURPS examples of applying an external force that makes a weapon hit harder (All-Out Attack, Committed Attack, Mighty Blows) -- as opposed to intrinsic damage modifiers such as weapon quality, base damage adds, etc. -- treat each flat +2 to damage as equivalent to +1/die. I would consider a "Bestows a Damage Bonus" modifier to be such an external force, and allow it to use the same rule.

. . . so please consider this my more carefully voiced thoughts on the matter.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:22 PM   #10
McAllister

Quote:
Actually, you're completely right that I was a bit too glib there. It would have been far more accurate for me to have said this . . .

Most GURPS examples of applying an external force that makes a weapon hit harder (All-Out Attack, Committed Attack, Mighty Blows) -- as opposed to intrinsic damage modifiers such as weapon quality, base damage adds, etc. -- treat each flat +2 to damage as equivalent to +1/die. I would consider a "Bestows a Damage Bonus" modifier to be such an external force, and allow it to use the same rule.

. . . so please consider this my more carefully voiced thoughts on the matter.
Thanks! I'm sure you worked that out in your head ages ago and it just makes sense to you, but we were having a bit of trouble following.

As far as 4*(D-2) for a Bestows a Narrow Bonus goes, you're not worried about the scaling? Is +8 worth twice as much as +4, or more than that?
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote