Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-11-2014, 06:01 PM   #1
nerdvana

Default Cultural Familarities

I have found a number of threads on the subject but I cannot find Kromm's "in house CF" list that I recall him posting once or twice. I'm hoping someone can share a link to that.

Also, found tbrock1031's list which I like but I have some questions on it (like... "where is South Africa" for example)
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:05 PM   #2
Sindri

Default Re: Cultural Familarities

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
I have found a number of threads on the subject but I cannot find Kromm's "in house CF" list that I recall him posting once or twice. I'm hoping someone can share a link to that.

Also, found tbrock1031's list which I like but I have some questions on it (like... "where is South Africa" for example)
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...63&postcount=2
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:13 PM   #3
nerdvana

Thanks! Interesting that it doesn't list Native American cultures (which are still distinctive from the rest of the Americas IMO).
Old 12-11-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
Sindri

Quote:
Thanks! Interesting that it doesn't list Native American cultures (which are still distinctive from the rest of the Americas IMO).
There are lots of cultures that it won't include, mostly small ones. Also Native American's will generally possess Kromm's Anglo CF whether they possess their own or not.
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:11 AM   #5
RGTraynor

Quote:
Well, heck, that list lumps together a lot of cultures that a majority of people would find ludicrous to equate with one another; I don't think anyone would dispute that. CF's just a very broad brush, unless it suits your amour propre or the scope of your campaign to chop it more finely.

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.
RGTraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:01 AM   #6
Phantasm

Quote:

I've been trying to revise that list in regards to Africa. Mostly, I've gone with an Arabic/Middle Eastern and Sub-Saharan African division. South Africa is either Sub-Saharan Africa or Western, depending on whether "European Colonialism displaced the native people" in that area (I'm not too sure on that myself, so I can't definitively answer that question).

As for lumping such disparate people together in "Aboriginal", I approached it from a "cinematic universe" standpoint. In a more realistic universe... yeah, those would each be their own CF.

Also, I'm pretty sure that somewhere in that thread is a link to Kromm's list.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:18 AM   #7
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:

"South Africa" as a CF makes no sense. The person who wrote that almost certainly meant sub-Saharan Africa.

As for CFs, I'm sure someone has Sean Punch's list archived and ready to post or link to, for your benefit.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:43 AM   #8
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
"South Africa" as a CF makes no sense. The person who wrote that almost certainly meant sub-Saharan Africa.
By opposition to North Africa. Note too that West Africa or East Africa, all of are also pretty well understood geographic terms. It's ambiguous only because there is a country that calls itself South Africa. Rather like that one that insists it is America.

Not that sub-Saharan is much better, since the logical dividing line not on the Sahara but a bit south of that - along the divide between the Sahel and the forest belt - the southern edge of majority Islam and the divide between Afro-Asiatic and Niger-Congo.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:46 AM   #9
nerdvana

Quote:

As for CFs, I'm sure someone has Sean Punch's list archived and ready to post or link to, for your benefit.
Never thought South Africa should be a CF. However on both lists (and Kromm's is already mentioned in this thread...) the country South Africa isn't listed as a member of a CF. Thus my question...
Old 12-12-2014, 09:55 AM   #10
Ashtagon

Quote:

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=117910 in case that link isn't there already.
Ashtagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cultural familarity