Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #1
buzzgunner
 
buzzgunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Corvallis, OR, USA
Default GURPS Vehicles abbreviations

I'm new to GURPS, so please bear with me.

I'm trying to understand the way a vehicle is stat'ed out and not have a lot of success. For example, here's a description I found in another thread (specifically, http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=47403&page=8) and many of the abbreviations are a mystery to me.

Caravel, exploration (73)
TL: 4
ST/HP: 165
Hnd/SR: -3/5
HT: 12c
Move: 0.2/6
EWt: 35t
LWt: 85t
Load: 50t
SM: +8
Occ: 18
DR: 12/6
Range: -
Cost: $70K
Locations: 3M, O, S
Draft: 7

Things like TL, EWt, LWt, Load, Cost, and Draft are fairly self-explanatory. But what about the others? Is this GURPS Vehicles 2nd Ed., 4th Ed., or something else entirely?

Any illumination would be much appreciated. Thanks!
buzzgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:25 PM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated
 
Turhan's Bey Company's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: GURPS Vehicles abbreviations

That looks like the vehicle format for GURPS 4th edition. You can find full explanations for all of those stats in Basic Set: Campaigns, starting on p. 462.
__________________
I've been making pointlessly shiny things, and I've got some gaming-related stuff as well.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
buzzgunner
 
buzzgunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Corvallis, OR, USA
Default Re: GURPS Vehicles abbreviations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
That looks like the vehicle format for GURPS 4th edition. You can find full explanations for all of those stats in Basic Set: Campaigns, starting on p. 462.
Rats, I was afraid of that. I have GURPS Basic Set 3rd Edition, it only goes to page 256, and contains nothing about vehicle design.
buzzgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
Fred Brackin
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Default Re: GURPS Vehicles abbreviations

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzgunner View Post
Rats, I was afraid of that. I have GURPS Basic Set 3rd Edition, it only goes to page 256, and contains nothing about vehicle design.
Yep, that's a 4e format and will not be explained in 3e books.

If it's any consolation the possibly obscure abbreviations like Hnd/ST (Handling and Stability Rating) use 4e exclusive rules.
__________________
Fred Brackin
Fred Brackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 02:01 PM   #5
Phantasm
 
Phantasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On the road again...
Default Re: GURPS Vehicles abbreviations

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzgunner View Post
many of the abbreviations are a mystery to me.

Caravel, exploration (73)
TL: 4
ST/HP: 165
Hnd/SR: -3/5
HT: 12c
Move: 0.2/6
EWt: 35t
LWt: 85t
Load: 50t
SM: +8
Occ: 18
DR: 12/6
Range: -
Cost: $70K
Locations: 3M, O, S
Draft: 7
Short versions:

ST/HP is the effective ST and Hit Points of the vehicle, which are normally the same; the after the number means it's not a powered vehicle, so the score is essentially HP only.

Hnd is the Handling Rating of the vehicle, which is a bonus or penalty to the skill roll to control it.

SR is the Stability Rating, which is how much you can fail on a control roll and not crash.

HT is akin to the stat of the same name; the "c" afterward means it's combustible, made of a material that can catch fire. "f" afterward would mean "flammable", meaning certain attacks can cause it to spontaneously erupt in flame. "c" commonly means "made of wood", while "f" is more akin to "internal combustion engine or coal burning boiler".

Move is divided into two numbers: the vehicle's acceleration in yards per second per second, and the maximum speed it can achieve. To get the maximum speed in miles per hour, double the second Move score.

EWt, LWt, and Load are as you probably guess. ;)

SM is the Size Modifier of the vehicle, basically how much easier it is to hit due to how big it is.

Occ is the Occupancy of the vehicle, how many people it can carry. Occasionally, you'll see an Occ listed as "2+5ASV"; this means it has a crew of 2, can carry 5 passengers, has long-term Accommodations (it has places for the crew and passengers to sleep), is Sealed (or in modern parlance, "pressurized"), and protects against a Vacuum.

Range is the maximum distance in miles it can travel before needing to be refueled. "-" in this stat means it doesn't use fuel at all, "F" means it's pushed, pulled, or carried by animals (or humans!).

Locations is a listing of shorthands for smaller pieces of the vehicle which are able to be targeted.

Draft in this case means it's a water vehicle, and that's how much of the vehicle exists under the water line.

Clear as mud?
__________________
"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:24 PM   #6
buzzgunner
 
buzzgunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Corvallis, OR, USA
Default Re: GURPS Vehicles abbreviations

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Locations is a listing of shorthands for smaller pieces of the vehicle which are able to be targeted.

...

Clear as mud?
Actually, save for Locations, that all made a lot of sense for me! Thanks! Can you elaborate on the notations for Locations?

Last edited by buzzgunner; 12-02-2014 at 03:32 PM.
buzzgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #7
buzzgunner
 
buzzgunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Corvallis, OR, USA
Default Re: GURPS Vehicles abbreviations

OK, I've figured out a few on my own. 'M' is masts (possibly multiple). 'S' is the enclosed hull (superstructure), with any preceding number referring to multiple decks. The lower-case 's' refers to castles.

I'm still stuck on the 'O'. Anyone feel like enlightening me?
buzzgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:51 PM   #8
Phantasm
 
Phantasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On the road again...
Default Re: GURPS Vehicles abbreviations

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzgunner View Post
OK, I've figured out a few on my own. 'M' is masts (possibly multiple). 'S' is the enclosed hull (superstructure), with any preceding number referring to multiple decks. The lower-case 's' refers to castles.

I'm still stuck on the 'O'. Anyone feel like enlightening me?
'O' tends to mean an "open deck", someplace people can walk around freely or isn't shielded from attacks from above.

Another few you'll see are "A" for arms, "L" for legs, "G" for large (glass) windows, "g" for smaller (glass) windows (both relative to the size of the vehicle), "E" for exposed rider (like a motorcycle), "X" for an exposed weapon mount, "C" for caterpillar tracks (like a tank), "T" for a large main turret, "t" for a smaller turret, "W" for wheels, "Wi" for a set of wings, "R" for runners or skids, and "r" following a "W", "R", or "t" for retractable. I think there are others, but I'm pretty sure those are the key ones.
__________________
"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:01 PM   #9
buzzgunner
 
buzzgunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Corvallis, OR, USA
Default Re: GURPS Vehicles abbreviations

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
'O' tends to mean an "open deck", someplace people can walk around freely or isn't shielded from attacks from above.

Another few you'll see are "A" for arms, "L" for legs, "G" for large (glass) windows, "g" for smaller (glass) windows (both relative to the size of the vehicle), "E" for exposed rider (like a motorcycle), "X" for an exposed weapon mount, "C" for caterpillar tracks (like a tank), "T" for a large main turret, "t" for a smaller turret, "W" for wheels, "Wi" for a set of wings, "R" for runners or skids, and "r" following a "W", "R", or "t" for retractable. I think there are others, but I'm pretty sure those are the key ones.
Oh, man! Thanks a million! That's far more information than I expected to get.
buzzgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:34 PM   #10
DarthMetool
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Earth
Default Re: GURPS Vehicles abbreviations

So 3e Vehicles is obsolete? Dang it. Wanted some help with a pre-dreadnought battleship design I came up with. Got it put together but it doesn't feel right.
DarthMetool is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
abbreviations, vehicles

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.