Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-12-2014, 05:22 AM   #1
Lyonid

Default Secret communication with the master

Good afternoon everybody;
A friend of mine and I are planning a particular 5-players campaign. It will be setted in a universe similar to the one of Warhammer 40.000. The particularity will be that one of the players (me) will secretly be a Chaos Agent, infiltrated in the party.
Now, it seems obvious that I will not be able to freely tell the master everything my PG is going to do, because this would reveal his identity to other players. So we need a way to communicate secretly. Any idea?????
Thank you all in advance!!!
Lyonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:25 AM   #2
starslayer

Default Re: Secret communication with the master

Passing notes always works. But for a bit of humor you could say that you character had the disadvantage 'airways makes terrible what if statements' and clear a hand signal with the gm for when a what if statement is actually something your PC is doing.

Play example you rib your nose 'what if the engine breaks down while we are in warp?'. Gm secretly rolls your skill tobsabotage the engine.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:18 PM   #3
Gedrin

In 40k you might want to avoid making any "prophetic statements" or the like in character, particularly if they're bad. It would be perfectly in character for people to decide you're chaos tainted/psychic/mutant/weird/heresy of the week, and cause all manner of problems. I'm pretty sure people with free time are executed in the Empire on the grounds of "Idle hands are the devil's playground".

Passing notes is probably the easiest way to go, but you might want to ask the GM to pass occasional notes to all the players. I've found this to be an ideal solution when group paranoia and masking a particular note passing is called for.
Gedrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
Apollonian

You could also trust the other players to keep OOC and IC knowledge separate, and just say, e.g., "Marco sneaks away for a quick confer with his Secret Masters via subspace radio."

But maybe that's just my group.
Apollonian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:26 PM   #5
Litvyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
You could also trust the other players to keep OOC and IC knowledge separate, and just say, e.g., "Marco sneaks away for a quick confer with his Secret Masters via subspace radio."

But maybe that's just my group.
That would be how I would handle it. I'm all for PC vs PC strife and treachery, but prefer such machinations be out in the open at the OOC level.
Litvyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:41 AM   #6
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
That would be how I would handle it. I'm all for PC vs PC strife and treachery, but prefer such machinations be out in the open at the OOC level.
Ditto.

Unless I'm running Paranoia or Amber. Then the it's more about player's paranoia and [friendly] rivalry than character's paranoia and rivalry. ;)
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:07 PM   #7
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Unless I'm running Paranoia or Amber. Then the it's more about player's paranoia and [friendly] rivalry than character's paranoia and rivalry. ;)
With games like Paranoia these days, it's better to "pass notes" via texting or IM (if players bring laptops or phones).
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:31 PM   #8
Puppetminion

Wibo220 reported as probable spam
Puppetminion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:50 AM   #9
SiLent

This is 2014, use whatsapp, sms or anything like that. Passing notes will just get the other players thinking "wtf is this guy being so secretive about" and call unwanted attention upon you. Use ur cellphone and no one will give a ****.

That's just my 2 cents.
SiLent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:43 AM   #10
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiLent View Post
Passing notes will just get the other players thinking "wtf is this guy being so secretive about"
So will pulling out your phone in the middle of the game to text the GM, or having your phone go off when the GM texts you. (It would be just plain rude to send non-game-related texts while you're sitting at the table.) Technological note-passing isn't any different from physical note-passing. You'll still need to use the same chaffing techniques, sending occasional notes to all players with contents meaningful or not, as well as having all players send the GM notes occasionally. Otherwise the traffic analysis makes it too obvious that something secret is going on, whether that's bits of paper changing hands or beeps and boops and people looking at their phone.

Secret messages work on virtual tabletops because the players aren't co-located, and so can't tell whether or not there's any extra traffic. They're closer in face-to-face play where you're still using the software, because at least everyone already has their computer out all the time and you're using the same interface to pass the secret data along with public game-related data. The extra typing is still likely to be a problem, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollonian
You could also trust the other players to keep OOC and IC knowledge separate, and just say, e.g., "Marco sneaks away for a quick confer with his Secret Masters via subspace radio.
There's a useful intermediate state of firewalling where the players can manage not to react to the occurrence of some unknown event, yet still don't have to know exactly what that event was. You can still enjoy the mystery and lack of complete knowledge. Even though you know OOC something's up, you don't have to know OOC exactly what that something is. Also makes firewalling that much easier.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character, communication, master, player, secret