Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-07-2014, 01:30 PM   #1
beckerc

Default a chain as a weapon

Has anyone thought about the modifications of a kusari to reflect a western-style modern industrial/farm chain? I have a player who wants to be skilled in swinging a chain and wondered if anyone has added this as a weapon to their game. I thought about basing it on a kusari and just upping the damage (?), the weight, and the strength required, and maybe making it slower as well somehow. It seems like it would be very unwieldy in a fight. Any thoughts? Has this been written up in a sourcebook somewhere?
beckerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:46 PM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: a chain as a weapon

In Low-Tech in the sidebox for Improvised Weapons, a chain (as encountered as a weapon used by a street thug) is listed with a penalty to Kusari skill, with stats roughly the same for a length and weight; I don't recall if there was any damage adjustment.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:17 PM   #3
The Colonel

Bear in mind that the classic street fighter's chain is usually one off a motor bike and is a lot shorter and denser than a kusari. You're not likely to trip or entangle someone with it, but it is really good at transferring energy and breaking bones. Definitely a signature weapon for "outlaw bikers".
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:19 PM   #4
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Bear in mind that the classic street fighter's chain is usually one off a motor bike
Knew a guy who claimed he was a gang member at one time (though he didn't precisely fit the stereotype), and he claimed his favorite chain was a blade from a chainsaw, with a handle on one end.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:56 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Knew a guy who claimed he was a gang member at one time (though he didn't precisely fit the stereotype), and he claimed his favorite chain was a blade from a chainsaw, with a handle on one end.
Don't know about your friend, but I came across this one night (I think - I had a concussion at the time). One end of the chain was welded onto a wide belt buckle with the leather belt acting as a sheath of sorts. Back of my left leg still has the marks from getting hit with it near ten years ago. Never saw that one coming and I'm quite paranoid about hidden gewgaws.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #6
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I would guess that converts the damage type to cutting...
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:57 PM   #7
Not

Apparently a flexible rope or chain with a weight hung on the end is called a "slung shot." Bicycle chain with a lock on the end makes a plausible weapon with plausible deniability.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:32 PM   #8
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
I would guess that converts the damage type to cutting...
I wouldn't think so. Chain saw chains aren't very sharp and the places the teeth actually have something edge like are perpendicular to the direction of motion of the chain in the saw - i.e. arranged the wrong direction to bite something hit with a swung chain. Indeed the edges are actually recessed in the chain
Old 09-07-2014, 05:46 PM   #9
cptbutton

Now I am wondering what kind of chain Cherryh's merchanters are always using in their bar fights.

From context I assume that the knives and chains they use all require some degree of plausible deniability that they are weapons by stationer law.
cptbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:27 PM   #10
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
I wouldn't think so. Chain saw chains aren't very sharp and the places the teeth actually have something edge like are perpendicular to the direction of motion of the chain in the saw - i.e. arranged the wrong direction to bite something hit with a swung chain. Indeed the edges are actually recessed in the chain
Sounds like just a +1/die with a fractional armor divisor, maybe. Interesting, though.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote