Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-27-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
Sindri

Default Ripostes, Counterattacks and Stop Hits

Does Riposte need the prohibition against stacking with Deceptive Attack? You can still combine expending excess skill on both the parry and attack by buying other things like better hit locations and the rules allow Feints and Deceptive Attack and Feints and Ripostes to stack for those times when "this specific attack needs to hit". The rule also doesn't make a lot of sense to me reality wise. Why can't a Riposte benefit from the sheer speed variety of Deceptive Attack?

Counterattack is a bit odd as something that's totally pointless without buying it up. It's also a really good investment especially if there is a cap on skill level and once you have it there's no reason to do non-Counterattacks if you qualify for Counterattack and setting it up generally just involves doing what you were going to do anyway. Does anyone have any tweaks for it?

Is there room for variation among Stop Hits to represent how aggressive you are being? Perhaps taking a penalty to defend to give the opponent a penalty to defend?
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:13 PM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Ripostes, Counterattacks and Stop Hits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindri View Post
Does Riposte need the prohibition against stacking with Deceptive Attack?
No. This may be a rule that was put in "to prevent abuse" but didn't get a ton of playtest in real games. I've seen rules go both ways: playtesting them reveals that they didn't seem like a problem, but were, and playtesting reveals that it was much ado about nothing. Or as Peter would say, "Has That Problem Come Up in Actual Play?"

Quote:
Is there room for variation among Stop Hits to represent how aggressive you are being? Perhaps taking a penalty to defend to give the opponent a penalty to defend?
I cover a bunch of possibilities here.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:45 PM   #3
Sindri

Default Re: Ripostes, Counterattacks and Stop Hits

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
No. This may be a rule that was put in "to prevent abuse" but didn't get a ton of playtest in real games. I've seen rules go both ways: playtesting them reveals that they didn't seem like a problem, but were, and playtesting reveals that it was much ado about nothing. Or as Peter would say, "Has That Problem Come Up in Actual Play?"
Do you mean that you or someone else has playtested it without the prohibition? Because otherwise I don't see what has changed since the rule was written. I was asking if the prohibition was necessary not if has been proven necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I cover a bunch of possibilities here.
Your MECE post is certainly helpful for trying to fill voids in GURPS options. This would fall under 20: Penalty to Defense, Foe, This Turn, Modifies defense. 20 is called degenerate with Riposte but there is room for a way to reduce your defenses to impact the other guy's defenses during a Stop Hit. I'm not sure if it's the best thing to add though.
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
counterattack, house rules, martial arts, ripostes, stop hit