Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2014, 05:00 PM   #1
Dalillama
 
Dalillama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Default What is Storium anyway?

"An online storytelling engine" isn't real helpful, and I can't find any other written information on their website or Kickstarter. Watching the video is impractical as my speakers are otherwise engaged (also, I hate videos).
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:07 PM   #2
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: What is Storium anyway?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...d-Write-Online seems informative, though it doesn't especially make me interested in supporting it. Then again, I don't generally favor kickstarters.
__________________
My GURPS site and Blog.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:11 PM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: What is Storium anyway?

So it's basically a VTT for a very specific card driven RPG system?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:32 PM   #4
PK
Assistant GURPS Line Editor
 
PK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Dobbstown Sane Asylum
Default Re: What is Storium anyway?

The best introduction I can think of is this short video explaining how it works.

(What follows assumes that you've watched that video. I'm not going to attempt to further explain how it works, just offer my thoughts and experiences.)

I've been using it for about two weeks now. I'm playing in three stories and narrating one of my own. My experience is that the "card-play" system provides just enough of a "game framework" to preserve the RPG elements that we love -- resource management, tactical play, etc. -- but is "lite" enough to facilitate asynchronous play.

By asynchronous play, I mean that the site and system do not require (or even assume) the narrator and players to be logged in at the same time. Everyone logs in when they can, at whatever frequency they can. (When the narrator creates a story, he sets expectations, such as, "2-3 scenes per week" or "1-2 scenes per day"; ideally, players will only sign up if they can meet those expectations!)

Clashing schedules is one of the hardest things to overcome in remote gaming, and the "challenges" system built into Storium targets that issue very well. I have players who log in 4-5 times a day, and one who can only log in every other day, and it doesn't matter -- the story is flowing smoothly.
__________________
Reverend Pee Kitty of the Order Malkavian-Dobbsian (Twitter) (LJ)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:02 AM   #5
johndallman
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cambridge, UK
Default Re: What is Storium anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
(What follows assumes that you've watched that video. I'm not going to attempt to further explain how it works, just offer my thoughts and experiences.)
I signed up already on the strength of the people involved. I really hope there are going to be some non-video explanations of how to use it: I started trying to watch that one, but had to stop (I'm partially sighted and getting meaningful information out of moving pictures and listening to speech at the same time is really hard for me; reading text that holds still is easy).
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:20 AM   #6
Graham
 
Graham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: North Yorkshire, UK
Default Re: What is Storium anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I really hope there are going to be some non-video explanations of how to use it.
I didn't watch the videos, but learned it from the 'How To Play' pages, reached from the top right of the home screen:

https://storium.com/how-to-play

(You'll need to have a beta login account to reach that.)

Graham
__________________
Free GURPS tools for Fantasy Grounds at www.spyke.me.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:33 PM   #7
Grouchy Chris
 
Grouchy Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The City of Subdued Excitement
Default Re: What is Storium anyway?

For those who have tried it, how invested in your character do you feel compared to a face-to-face game with a heavier ruleset? Does it make a difference?
__________________
The GURPS Wiki has 581 articles and counting!
My blog, mainly about GURPS.
Grouchy Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:43 PM   #8
PK
Assistant GURPS Line Editor
 
PK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Dobbstown Sane Asylum
Default Re: What is Storium anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy Chris View Post
For those who have tried it, how invested in your character do you feel compared to a face-to-face game with a heavier ruleset? Does it make a difference?
Equally for me. But then again, complexity of the rules system has never affected my character investment; there's no difference for how much I like a character if I make it in GURPS vs. Fate vs. Storium. How invested I am is usually based on how well the character "clicked" for me when I came up with their initial concept.
__________________
Reverend Pee Kitty of the Order Malkavian-Dobbsian (Twitter) (LJ)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:04 AM   #9
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Longmont, CO
Default Re: What is Storium anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Equally for me. But then again, complexity of the rules system has never affected my character investment; there's no difference for how much I like a character if I make it in GURPS vs. Fate vs. Storium. How invested I am is usually based on how well the character "clicked" for me when I came up with their initial concept.
Agreed. Once a character finds his or her center, the rules become secondary for me. (In my current one-in-one, it's become noteworthy when we actually pick up the dice.)
__________________
“It's not railroading if you offer the PCs tickets and they stampede to the box office, waving their money. Metaphorically speaking”
--Elizabeth McCoy, In Nomine Line Editor

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:47 AM   #10
Langy
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: CA
Default Re: What is Storium anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
The best introduction I can think of is this short video explaining how it works.

(What follows assumes that you've watched that video. I'm not going to attempt to further explain how it works, just offer my thoughts and experiences.)

I've been using it for about two weeks now. I'm playing in three stories and narrating one of my own. My experience is that the "card-play" system provides just enough of a "game framework" to preserve the RPG elements that we love -- resource management, tactical play, etc. -- but is "lite" enough to facilitate asynchronous play.

By asynchronous play, I mean that the site and system do not require (or even assume) the narrator and players to be logged in at the same time. Everyone logs in when they can, at whatever frequency they can. (When the narrator creates a story, he sets expectations, such as, "2-3 scenes per week" or "1-2 scenes per day"; ideally, players will only sign up if they can meet those expectations!)

Clashing schedules is one of the hardest things to overcome in remote gaming, and the "challenges" system built into Storium targets that issue very well. I have players who log in 4-5 times a day, and one who can only log in every other day, and it doesn't matter -- the story is flowing smoothly.
I've had a pretty decent amount of experience with freeform play-by-post 'games' before, and one thing I've noticed over that time - it is much more hit-and-miss than in-person gaming for keeping a story flowing. You'll very, very commonly run into people who simply stop posting, or go much slower than they anticipated, etc. Watch out for that.

A lot of those games were less collaborative and more adversarial in nature - the very basics of the Storium system might still work in that sense, but it doesn't sound like it's set up to handle it. It'd basically require a rework such that non-narrators can set up challenges. Not sure how that'd work out *shrug*

Anyways, I haven't backed Storium yet and I'm unsure if I will (though I realize I only have a short time to decide). I wish there was a way to actually see the site and how it works without backing, but it seems to be very much a 'buy blind' effort at the moment.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.