Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-22-2014, 12:27 PM   #11
Anthony

Default Re: The mathematics of Hiking

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
That would likely result in many players ranting that the system doesn't allow experienced hikers to use their knowledge of hiking in order to maintain a sustainable pace as opposed to going all-out if they see they're overexerting themselves.
Allow that as an option perhaps, but people who are going long distances really do plan based on "here's my next stopping point".
Old 03-22-2014, 03:17 PM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Allow that as an option perhaps, but people who are going long distances really do plan based on "here's my next stopping point".
Even short or moderate distances. I know how much I can carry if walking short distances vs. a couple of miles. There really seem to be some rather sharp cut off points like in Gurps.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:07 PM   #13
DangerousThing

Quote:
That works if you have a good map, a good guide, or area knowledge. Also you have to be in a relatively "civilized" area for that to work.

If you're hiking through the wilderness knowing you have to get to the mountain pass within a month without a map or guide, then the stopping points are when it is necessary to rest yourselves and your animals.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:21 PM   #14
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
If you're hiking through the wilderness knowing you have to get to the mountain pass within a month without a map or guide, then the stopping points are when it is necessary to rest yourselves and your animals.
Your stopping point is still heavily constrained by where stopping is possible, and there's a good chance you set a daily target.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:42 PM   #15
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Your stopping point is still heavily constrained by where stopping is possible, and there's a good chance you set a daily target.
True, running a 5k isn't very bright when you only get to stop at the finish line of a marathon.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:48 PM   #16
Kallatari

In my house rules, I just roll twice.

First, I convert Move into an hourly rate, then assume that on an exact skill success, you cover 80% of that distance, then increase/decrease by +5% per margin of success/failure. (Modify of course for terrain/weather.)

Then, I assume the overall fatigue cost is equal to 1 + Encumbrance Penalty + Heat penalty. You make a second Hiking roll, in which a success reduces the Fatigue loss by 1, and an additional 1 for every 2 points of success.

Optionally, you can put Extra Effort into your hike to automatically up the distance by 10% per additional 1 FP you want to add to that initial value (if you make your usual Extra Effort roll).

The second roll for fatigue only occurs when a break in the Hiking happens. It's assumed that you do at some point get more fatigue than that along the way, but rest to eliminate it and are less fatigued than that. But this represents your "average" fatigue level for the hike. Thus, that's your fatigue cost at the end of the hike... or if you run into a random encounter along the way. So, this is a simplification, but it works for me.

And, if it is not really an issue (i.e., most of the time when I don't care what their fatigue level was every day of the hike since it's not that dramatic a moment), I don't even bother with the fatigue roll. Usually, it's the distance traveled - and thus time to get somewhere - that is all I need to know. The one exception: if the PC force march and put in Extra Effort for a day, then I definitely roll for that day.

(As a side note: foraging simply "takes 1 hour per Survival roll" so I just reduce the distance traveled by what the PC would have covered in 1 hour if they forage along the way.. or 1 hour per roll if they really took their time to forage. So, if you hiked for 8 hours that day while foraging, then you'd only travel the distance you would have gone in 7 hours.)
Kallatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:44 PM   #17
Fwibos

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
That would likely result in many players ranting that the system doesn't allow experienced hikers to use their knowledge of hiking in order to maintain a sustainable pace as opposed to going all-out if they see they're overexerting themselves.
I dunno, I think with Hiking 12 you can reasonably say "I can go this much faster" with a little math.
Word of God and Word of Kromm are pretty much the same thing in my book
Fwibos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hiking, rules