Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 03:02 AM   #1
JCD
 
JCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Birthplace of the Worst Pizza on the Planet
Default Impudite Dissonance Rationalization

I know the meta reason for an Impudite to not be able to kill people. Sort of an 'art/game balance' thing.

But what is the explanation in universe? I get that an Impudite sees a human as a combination sex tox/steak dinner/ ATM machine and yes, as a human, I would be absolutely appalled if someone actually choked a goose which laid golden eggs.

HOWEVER, I would not SUFFER if that happened. It would be purely emotional.

What is your best rational as to why this is?
__________________
Curtis Says: Remember to take your Shots. And use a tight grouping.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:11 AM   #2
robkelk
Untitled
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: between keyboard and chair
Default Re: Impudite Dissonance Rationalization

Celestials aren't human.

A human can act against his own best interests or his own nature and suffer no worse than a few twitches of remorse and guilt. A Celestial doing the same thing actually damages himself.

(On the flip side, many Celestials can punch through a wall without long-term effect to himself, while a human who tried doing the same thing would break a few bones. Celestials aren't human.)
__________________
Rob Kelk
“Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.”
– Bernard Baruch,
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:32 AM   #3
William
 
William's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Default Re: Impudite Dissonance Rationalization

Slightly off-the-wall rationalization: Impudites are actually Mercurians who have been lied to, very very well, by their Princes and Lucifer. (What gives a Balseraph dissonance? In a way, it's realizing that he lied. Etc.)

Lilim are the only demons who aren't crazy, and that's because they're humantouched.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:18 AM   #4
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Longmont, CO
Default Re: Impudite Dissonance Rationalization

One reason that popped into my mind: It's a matter of rationalization.

Mercurians can't act violently toward mortals. When a Mercurian Falls, it's likely because he chose to do so, more than once. There's always what seems to be a good reason, and at the worst, a Mercurian can tell himself that even if he's hurting someone, he's not doing any permanent damage, so the harm isn't actually real. Heck, even crippling injury can be Healed if it's important enough -- sort of like a Cherub; if you can put it back together, no foul, right?

That delusion only gets strengthened at the moment of becoming an Impudite, where your wants and needs are more important than the rest of the world's, anyway. But when you kill a human ... that breaks the rationalization. It can't be fixed. The soul is either in Heaven, in Hell or in the recycle bin, and regardless, it's something you can't get back no matter how much you want it. That's enough to break through the shell and twinge the last remaining chord of the old Mercurian nature, even if the note is soured by personal selfishness.

My take, anyway. YMMV, as always.
__________________
“It's not railroading if you offer the PCs tickets and they stampede to the box office, waving their money. Metaphorically speaking”
--Elizabeth McCoy, In Nomine Line Editor

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:49 PM   #5
robkelk
Untitled
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: between keyboard and chair
Default Re: Impudite Dissonance Rationalization

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Slightly off-the-wall rationalization: Impudites are actually Mercurians who have been lied to, very very well, by their Princes and Lucifer. (What gives a Balseraph dissonance? In a way, it's realizing that he lied. Etc.)

Lilim are the only demons who aren't crazy, and that's because they're humantouched.
So the Habbalah are right and all the other celestials resident in Hell are wrong?
__________________
Rob Kelk
“Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.”
– Bernard Baruch,
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:53 PM   #6
Dalillama
 
Dalillama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Default Re: Impudite Dissonance Rationalization

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
So the Habbalah are right and all the other celestials resident in Hell are wrong?
Not really; the Habbalah aren't any less crazy, after all.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:59 AM   #7
JCD
 
JCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Birthplace of the Worst Pizza on the Planet
Default Re: Impudite Dissonance Rationalization

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
One reason that popped into my mind: It's a matter of rationalization.

Mercurians can't act violently toward mortals. When a Mercurian Falls, it's likely because he chose to do so, more than once. There's always what seems to be a good reason, and at the worst, a Mercurian can tell himself that even if he's hurting someone, he's not doing any permanent damage, so the harm isn't actually real. Heck, even crippling injury can be Healed if it's important enough -- sort of like a Cherub; if you can put it back together, no foul, right?

That delusion only gets strengthened at the moment of becoming an Impudite, where your wants and needs are more important than the rest of the world's, anyway. But when you kill a human ... that breaks the rationalization. It can't be fixed. The soul is either in Heaven, in Hell or in the recycle bin, and regardless, it's something you can't get back no matter how much you want it. That's enough to break through the shell and twinge the last remaining chord of the old Mercurian nature, even if the note is soured by personal selfishness.

My take, anyway. YMMV, as always.

Huh. So...all the Princes are forced to make cookie cutter 'angels' because that is all they know how to make from their time as Archs or learned from former Archs...but then they have to deliberately break them to make them useful.

Interesting idea and I like it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Slightly off-the-wall rationalization: Impudites are actually Mercurians who have been lied to, very very well, by their Princes and Lucifer. (What gives a Balseraph dissonance? In a way, it's realizing that he lied. Etc.)

Lilim are the only demons who aren't crazy, and that's because they're humantouched.
That might be why Lilim are the only 'original' Hellish creation: because it was a human who did it. Creation is a distinct spark which isn't shared willy nilly among Celestials, after all (at least not in my campaigns. Gotta give the humans an edge somehow)
__________________
Curtis Says: Remember to take your Shots. And use a tight grouping.

Last edited by JCD; 01-30-2014 at 06:05 AM.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:03 AM   #8
JCD
 
JCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Birthplace of the Worst Pizza on the Planet
Default Re: Impudite Dissonance Rationalization

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
So the Habbalah are right and all the other celestials resident in Hell are wrong?
One can be crazy AND right.
__________________
Curtis Says: Remember to take your Shots. And use a tight grouping.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:13 PM   #9
naraht
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Default Re: Impudite Dissonance Rationalization

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
That might be why Lilim are the only 'original' Hellish creation: because it was a human who did it. Creation is a distinct spark which isn't shared willy nilly among Celestials, after all (at least not in my campaigns. Gotta give the humans an edge somehow)
Is it Canon that all minor bands did not exist until a member of their minor choir equivalent fell?
naraht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:13 PM   #10
Matthias Wasser
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Boston
Default Re: Impudite Dissonance Rationalization

I kinda like the idea that the Impudite dissonance condition extends to alienating humans. That said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
HOWEVER, I would not SUFFER if that happened. It would be purely emotional.
This pair of sentences contains an assumption that I find just incomprehensible.
Matthias Wasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dissonance, impudites

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.