Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 01-13-2014, 04:38 PM   #1
Aragolt

Default Fairy Dust - What?

I just bought Munchkin Fairy Dust, but I don't understand the rules for the Sparkly Pink Fairy at all! I can't understand how she stays on the field to have her effects take place if she's just a monster...Why and how does she have her effects take place?
Aragolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:56 PM   #2
DoomedDuck

Default Re: Fairy Dust - What?

I'm not quite sure what "effects" you mean. If she is killed, the only thing different for her than any other monster is that you put the remaining Fairy Dust cards on top of the treasure deck (after drawing the appropriate treasures for killing her) to distribute to whoever gets treasures next. If she is defeated in any way other than killing (Wizard's charm, Pollymorph Potion, any other effect that removes her without killing) then she is shuffled back into the door deck (top 10 cards) to fight again later.
DoomedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:00 PM   #3
Mister Ed

If you mean her Bad Stuff, you just have to remember that it applies. She has to go back in to the deck after the combat if she isn't killed, so you can't keep her out as a reminder.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:08 PM   #4
Aragolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomedDuck View Post
I'm not quite sure what "effects" you mean. If she is killed, the only thing different for her than any other monster is that you put the remaining Fairy Dust cards on top of the treasure deck (after drawing the appropriate treasures for killing her) to distribute to whoever gets treasures next. If she is defeated in any way other than killing (Wizard's charm, Pollymorph Potion, any other effect that removes her without killing) then she is shuffled back into the door deck (top 10 cards) to fight again later.
What I mean is that in the rules for Fairy Dust, it says to shuffle the fairy into the deck. However, don't monsters usually fight you when you kick open the door and find them? I can guess that the Fairy doesn't do this, but what does she do when she is found?
Old 01-13-2014, 05:24 PM   #5
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragolt View Post
What I mean is that in the rules for Fairy Dust, it says to shuffle the fairy into the deck. However, don't monsters usually fight you when you kick open the door and find them? I can guess that the Fairy doesn't do this, but what does she do when she is found?
No, she fights you when you find her, just like any other monster. But if you fail to kill her, she just gets shuffled back into the top 10 cards of the Door Deck.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:08 PM   #6
Aragolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
No, she fights you when you find her, just like any other monster. But if you fail to kill her, she just gets shuffled back into the top 10 cards of the Door Deck.
All right then, I was probably reading the rules wrong and jumping to conclusions. However, how does the effect that gives you Fairy Dust Cards work if she only is out for not even a full turn?
Old 01-13-2014, 06:16 PM   #7
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

You get Fairy Dust cards according to the rules in the supplement. She doesn't have to be on the table for FD cards to be distributed.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:16 PM   #8
Aragolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
You get Fairy Dust cards according to the rules in the supplement. She doesn't have to be on the table for FD cards to be distributed.
Oh. Okay. Thank you.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:21 PM   #9
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragolt View Post
All right then, I was probably reading the rules wrong and jumping to conclusions. However, how does the effect that gives you Fairy Dust Cards work if she only is out for not even a full turn?
She doesn't need to be out for you to get Fairy Dust cards. The rules explain under what circumstances you get Fairy Dust cards, and those apply for as long as the Sparkly Good Fairy hasn't been killed. Once she HAS been killed, any remaining Fairy Dust cards just go on top of the Treasure Deck.

I think the confusion might arise from what may have been a poor choice of wording in the rules. Before the rules explain how you earn Fairy Dust cards, it says "The SGF rewards munchkins for being nice to each other." This could give the impression that her card has to be "present" somehow for those cards to be awarded, but that is not the case. You get the a Fairy Dust card each time you help somebody in combat and each time to cancel a Curse for another player. The SGF doesn't have to be on the table at the time for this, she just has to not have been killed yet.