Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 01-12-2014, 02:23 PM   #1
Qport

Default Curse Change Race/Class

I'm sorry if this has come up before, but I'm new to the game (only played a couple times), and there have been a few disputes that have come up due to interpretation of certain cards. Most of them I have no issue with, but the Curse! Change Race/Class cards are causing a couple problems.

We've had scenarios where it's been claimed that when one of them is played, and you have multiple race/class cards due to Half Breed/Super Munchkin, that you only swap one of your class/race cards. Or that if you have a Half Breed/Super Munchkin card but only one class/race, you simply lose the Half Breed/Super Munchkin card.

Could someone please explain *exactly* how the Curse! Change Race/Class cards work, especially in relation to having multiple Race/Class cards when it happens?

I'm of the opinion that when it is played, you search the discards for the first available Race/Class card (depending on which Curse! was played), and replace ALL of your current Race/Class cards with it. My line of thinking is that the cards state:

Curse! Change Race says, "The first Race card you come to replaces your current Race(s). If you go through the discards without finding a Race card, you just lose your own Race(s)."

Curse! Change Class says, "The first Class card you come to replaces your current Class(es). If you go through the discards without finding a Class card, you just lose your own Class(es)."

The key part being "Class(es)" and Race(s)

The (es) and (s) seems to pluralize it to me, with the intent being that if you have multiple, you lose them all in favor of the first one you come across in the discards.

Also, what exactly happens (if anything) to your Half Breed/Super Munchkin card when one of these Curse! cards is played?

Thanks in advance for any and all help, I'm assuming this has been asked before but I couldn't find a clear, concise, direct ruling on it, and when I present the answer to my friends I don't want there to be any confusion.
Qport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #2
DoomedDuck

Default Re: Curse Change Race/Class

In the case where you search and find nothing, you most definitely lose everything you had, including the half-breed/super-munchkin.

Because of the -(s) and -(es) you also would have to swap out all of your races/classes should you come across another in the discards.

I am, however, unsure about the half-breed/super-munchkin cards for this circumstance. It's been ruled that if you lose a race/class and then immediately replace them with another in your hand that you can keep the half-breed/super-munchkin. I would think it would be the same thing in this instance but I'm not certain.
DoomedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:40 PM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

You lose the Half-Breed or Super Munchkin card.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:46 PM   #4
Qport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
You lose the Half-Breed or Super Munchkin card.
So just to be clear, with the Curse! Change Race card, the player that it is played on would search the discard pile for the first Race they come across, and discard ALL Race cards they have, AS WELL AS their Half Breed card, and the Race card they found in the discards would then be their active card, correct? So if they have 2 Races and a Half Breed card, they would lose BOTH and the Half Breed, to be replaced by the first Race card in the discards?

And then the same thing for the Curse! Change Class card, but with Classes instead of Races and Super Munchkin instead of Half Breed?
Qport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:52 PM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Correct in both cases.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote