Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-15-2016, 07:35 AM   #191
mook

Default Re: Game Geekery - GURPS Content Posts

Hiya Kalzazz,

"Star Trek" games are super fun, but the scope is a bit grander than what I was going for. That is, the PCs (assuming they are Starfleet) are not "a small group of plucky outsiders living hand to mouth until the next score," but rather "officers of a huge, interplanetary exploration and military force following orders."

It'd fit if we put, say, Riker, Worf, Troi, Data, and O'Brian on a Defiant-class ship and sent them off on their own. I should mention, though, I've received the same question from a lot of people, so I should probably at least explain why I didn't include "Star Trek"!
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:07 AM   #192
Kalzazz

So in Star Trek would be Voyager as 'allies of circumstance far from home'?
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:57 PM   #193
Kalzazz

Ill admit, of the examples you gave I have only seen Firefly and part of Farscape season 1

My appeal is mostly toward 'Uniformed Heroes of Good', I love Star Trek where people wear uniforms and are designated champions of good. Same with Andromeda (even if Hunt is the only one wearing a uniform mostly, but definitely Heroes of Good). Same with anime like Nadesico, and I love the Clone Wars Star Wars cartoon for similar reasons, they run around fighting evil for the Jedi Order and the Republic wearing spiffy Jedi uniforms!

Really, I think in some ways I want Horatio Hornblower or the Battle of Midway in Spaaaaace!

(as a note, in fantasy games I often love playing knights or such, who openly wear their heraldic colors and are lackeys of some liege)

One thing I found particularly distressing in Firefly and in (what I have seen of Farscape) is that the ship is unarmed . . . . what manner of heroic mast to mast broadside action can take place with an unarmed ship?

So, I hope you do a sequel on how to run a game of 'Uniformed Heroes of Good, on a ship, in Spaaaace!' as seriously, that is a game I would love to run
Old 07-28-2016, 03:01 PM   #194
mook

Howdy, Folks!

Not the "Uniformed Heroes of Good, on a ship, in Spaaaace!" just yet, but a few more thoughts on creating and running one-shot adventures, either for conventions, in-store demos, or just to throw a little variety at your group (as requested by a Patron).

The process naturally varies a bit depending on game genre, party size, etc. but a lot of commonalities remain. Here I discuss the three ingredients of any one-shot (the Rules, the Characters, and the Adventure), common roles for the pre-gen PCs (Social Interaction, Combat, Sneaking Around, Support), and some of my favorite Resources for GMs looking to up their game.

Enjoy!

Last edited by mook; 08-01-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:46 PM   #195
Kalzazz

I admit, I am seeing a lack of a clickable link
Old 08-01-2016, 10:30 AM   #196
mook

Whaaat? No, no... it's totally there. *cough*

(Thank you :)
Old 08-04-2016, 12:28 PM   #197
mook

Our heroes' ship rockets through space, carrying them to thrilling adventures, mysterious dangers, and shiny rewards for their trouble!

Lots of folks sent in feedback on the "PCs as Ship Crew" post a few weeks back, so today is a follow up to share some of the things I learned -- how this kind of crew differs from one with a stricter chain of command (like Star Trek); a couple of RPGs specifically written with role-based PC parties in mind; and some super useful websites I came across.

As always, would love to hear any comments or questions. Enjoy! (and keep your Ares Raptor-7000 Blaster handy)
Old 08-12-2016, 02:53 PM   #198
mook

Well, it had to happen sooner or later... I fell asleep yesterday and totally missed the GURPSDay deadline! So, this week it's a Friday post instead, a quick rundown of how I came to decide on what my next convention game will be and what that game is:
"The Hellhounds outlaw motorcycle club has been in decline for years, but this big score could really turn things around.
Just watch your back as you make the drop –– things in this world aren’t always what they seem,
and no matter how tough you are there’s always a bigger fish.
NOTE: Characters are outlaw bikers and not Nice People at all.
NO GURPS experience needed."
Get your motor runnin'... head out on the highway...
Old 08-18-2016, 02:15 PM   #199
mook

Happy GURPSDay, all!

In this week's shockingly on-time Game Geekery post, I continue last week's discussion of the upcoming "Hell on Wheels" game. It's shaping up, slowly but surely, and should be ready just in time for the convention (Gateway 2016, Sept. 2-5, LAX Hilton).

I also throw in a thumbs up to Ghostdancer's post on balancing "character spotlight" instead of "character points."

GURPSiness for everyone!
Old 08-25-2016, 04:26 PM   #200
mook

Happy GURPSDay to one and all!

Today I'm finally posting that audio/podcast I threatened-- um, mentioned a few weeks back. It's only about 15 minutes long, just a quick little listen, and I answer three questions submitted by you, the lovely readers (the GURPS "elevator pitch," the continuing misperception that it's "too hard/complex/whatever," and some thoughts on Attributes -- spoiler, GURPS effectively has way more than four).

If you've ever wondered what a wild Mook sounds like in its natural habitat... now is your chance to see (um, hear).

I'd appreciate if you could give a listen, let me know what you like/don't like, and especially if you have any suggestions about the audio itself, format, etc. ("I can't believe you ate a bag of Doritos through the entire thing -- bold choice!").

I hope you have a wonderful weekend of gaming comin' up! Long live GURPS.

Tags
blogs