Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
tantric
Banned

Default GURPS Ghostbusters

I am VERY impressed by this. I want to know how it came about, and if it has been played? I *so* want to do something like this....

Is it legal? Can I post a link to it?
Old 10-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: GURPS Ghostbusters

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric View Post
I am VERY impressed by this. I want to know how it came about, and if it has been played? I *so* want to do something like this....

Is it legal? Can I post a link to it?
If it's the one that claims it's by William H. Stoddard and Kenneth Hite then no. It's a illegal project that uses Steve Jackson Games trade dress. Posting a link might get you banned. There was another thread that came up years ago.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Old 10-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
Stormcrow

For a legal alternative, see GURPS All-Star Jam 2004. Kenneth Hite wrote the chapter "Ghost-Breaking," which has everything you need to run a Ghostbusters game.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
tantric
Banned

Okay, no link - so, who did write it? Obviously, it can't be published or sold, but it really is pretty high quality. Someone put a LOT of effort into this. If this is verboten, feel free to delete this thread, but I'd like a PM as to why. I mean, it's like finding a 4e book that just popped out of another dimension.

They layout is so 4e - it's hard for me to believe that this is totally faux. And please explain to me why it is contemptible, as the old thread implied? IP is difficult for me in the best of times - it get that it's illegal, but totally fail to understand why it's immoral.

Last edited by tantric; 10-24-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
Anders

I hear Kromm got caught in a transporter accident and was split into an evil and a good part.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
Fred Brackin

Quote:
. And please explain to me why it is contemptible, as the old thread implied? IP is difficult for me in the best of times - it get that it's illegal, but totally fail to understand why it's immoral.
Stealing someone's Ip is illegal and might or might not be immoral given your personal morality. You're in the wrong place to get sympathy for your apparent viewpoint though.

However, stealing someone's _good name_ is always immoral. Mr Stoddard and Mr Hite had nothing to do with this project and even implying that they gave consent to having their work stolen is false and misleading.

For someone unknown to imply that their work is actually the work of better known others is even worse even if you think it good work. It's immoral to tell this lie to potential consumers as well as any other issues.

Nope, this is really, really not the way to do this sort of thing.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
Nymdok

Quote:
Okay, no link - so, who did write it? Obviously, it can't be published or sold, but it really is pretty high quality. Someone put a LOT of effort into this. If this is verboten, feel free to delete this thread, but I'd like a PM as to why. I mean, it's like finding a 4e book that just popped out of another dimension.

They layout is so 4e - it's hard for me to believe that this is totally faux. And please explain to me why it is contemptible, as the old thread implied? IP is difficult for me in the best of times - it get that it's illegal, but totally fail to understand why it's immoral.
Thats an excellent Question for Gen Chat. :)

Nymdok
Old 10-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #8
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
For a legal alternative, see GURPS All-Star Jam 2004. Kenneth Hite wrote the chapter "Ghost-Breaking," which has everything you need to run a Ghostbusters game.
As I recall it, that pretty much is GURPS Ghostbusters, just with the serial numbers partially filed off.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #9
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
It's got to be fake, because SJ Games wouldn't create something they can't sell and earn an income from. It takes a lot of man-hours to lay out an entire PDF, and while SJ Games has done some pretty messed up things, that simply is not the kind of thing they'd do.

As for the morality, I won't go into that, other than to say that it probably has to do with trademarks.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
And please explain to me why it is contemptible, as the old thread implied? IP is difficult for me in the best of times - it get that it's illegal, but totally fail to understand why it's immoral.
So say you put a lot of effort into to doing something professionally. You do this because you enjoy it. You want your hard work to be recognized and it's nice to get paid too (at least enough that you aren't incentive to spend that time working on something more profitable instead). So I come along, steal some of your original work, copy your trade dress, and put your name on something you didn't do. I do this because I want to lie to people so that they think you made this thing and not me. I don't ask your permission. I don't even tell you I did this. You have to find out about it on the internet. How do you feel about that?

Also I stole the IP of a giant litigious media corporation at the exact same time. I put your name on it so they'll sue you instead of me. How's that feel?

Last edited by sir_pudding; 10-24-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Closed Thread