Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #21
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Krokodil

Learning to "cook" isn't Chemistry. Answering "How do I get this pure end product from materials available to me?" is.
sir_pudding is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #22
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post

Learning to "cook" isn't Chemistry. Answering "How do I get this pure end product from materials available to me?" is.
Yep. You can get One-Task Wonder (Cook Desomorphine) and roll vs. IQ to create something. The GM could then fairly say, "You used whatever garbage would do the job," roll 1d for the penalty to users' HT rolls, and have HT-roll failure produce some horrid inorganic toxicity pulled from the newspapers. Those with Chemistry could also do this, but then attempt a second skill roll to clean up the end product (not included in that perk . . . it's only for cooking). The latter would automatically increase costs, however; at a minimum, by the price of an actual, if modest, lab. If you were running a drug-dealer game for whatever reason, the points spent on Chemistry instead of Streetwise and the dollars spent on equipment would soon put the chemists out of business.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #23
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
If you were running a drug-dealer game for whatever reason, the points spent on Chemistry instead of Streetwise and the dollars spent on equipment would soon put the chemists out of business.
Until something changes with the availability or purity of the raw material, in which case you'll need to devise another pathway to teach the cooks.
sir_pudding is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #24
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
If you were running a drug-dealer game for whatever reason, the points spent on Chemistry instead of Streetwise and the dollars spent on equipment would soon put the chemists out of business.
GURPS Breaking Bad, heh.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #25
Bruno

Sort of OT in that the topic has diverged somewhat, but the particular cheap nasty low grade short duration product mentioned in the OP has always struck me as begging for a supernatural horror treatment. Or a slightly-horror-toned superhero treatment!

If there was anything that ever came out of the Pentex labs, it would be Krokodil as-is in real life... only you'd also get a free bane spirit possession along with your flesh destruction and gangrene.

In a superhero game, take the description of Krokodil's effects on the body, neglect to mention the "because of gangrene" part, and Krokodil turns into a mutagen that grants High Pain Threshold, hysterical strength (from not being able to feel the damage), and accumulating DR (Tough Skin), Numb and Appearance loss. Throw in your super-villain (who is probably giving the pure stuff to his thugs to get super-minions, and they're selling cut doses on the street for extra cash) and you have a whole adventure.

I may actually have posted links to articles on Krokodil into the real life weirdness thread at some point.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:03 AM   #26
tantric
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
To quote an old war buddy, "Orbitals are for mathematicians, organic chemistry is for people who love to cook!" I wish there was someone to talk to about the chem in Breaking Bad - what did he want thorium for? How does he not get a racemic mix? Is it just TV nonsense?

Last edited by tantric; 10-02-2013 at 07:13 AM.
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:35 AM   #27
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric View Post
I wish there was someone to talk to about the chem in Breaking Bad - what did he want thorium for? How does he not get a racemic mix? Is it just TV nonsense?
TVTropes seem to think it's TV nonsense, yes. /me is not a chemist, though.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #28
J. Edward Tremlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
GURPS Breaking Bad, heh.
Krokodil is Breaking Brain.

I have longed for a drug to come along that really screws people up externally. This fits the bill nicely.
It is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of the Living God (Heb. 10:31)

"Or the light that never, never warms" (Boc. 6:55)

Read SPYGOD

Buy my stuff.
J. Edward Tremlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #29
Purple Haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric View Post
To quote an old war buddy, "Orbitals are for mathematicians, organic chemistry is for people who love to cook!" I wish there was someone to talk to about the chem in Breaking Bad - what did he want thorium for? How does he not get a racemic mix? Is it just TV nonsense?
The science in _Breaking Bad_ was done by University of Oklahoma chemistry professor Donna Nelson PhD. There are many radically different methods for synthesizing meth, every process shown in the show is a step from one of those methods. They mix and match steps from different methods, and depict them out of order, so that the show is not a tutorial.
Purple Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:52 PM   #30
Gwythaint

Of course, if one was running a Steampunk game, ala Cherie Priest's Boneshaker then krokodil would be like that lemony Blight gas derivative.

Of course, there is also the concoction mentioned in The Relic that causes a dependency tantamount to a murder addiction along with permanent transformation into a chimraic monster with a vulnerability to sunlight...

Or something like The Stuff that eventually eats you...
Evil drugs are out there, DF10 has a few borderline ones.
Gwythaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
addiction