Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 12-22-2005, 05:09 PM   #1
Padre

Default Attunements, specifically Kyriotate, of Jean

It's possibly the most unbalanced choir attunement in the game.

What are your experiences of it?
Do you use house rules to nerf it, and if so how? Or, alternatively, do you GM sneakily in order to reduce its efficacy?
Do you actually think it's ok as it is (at least, in your interpretation)?
Any funny stories? ("You can't dodge your underwear" cracks me up every time)

On a semi-related note, I've often wondered about some of Jean's attunements, and the way they are modern technology focused. Remote Control and the Elohite choir attunement come specifically to mind off the top of my head. Now, it's very like Jean to keep everything he gives out up to date, and of course he has a technology lead on humans, but it strikes me that at least some of these attunements must have been very different even quite recently.

What was Jean like just a hundred years ago? It's hard to see his Powers packing microcircuitry prior to the lightbulb. Superiors: Jean will hopefully have some answers, when (when, dammit) it arrives, but until then speculation ahoy!

Last edited by Padre; 12-22-2005 at 05:14 PM.
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 07:40 PM   #2
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Default Re: Attunements, specifically Kyriotate, of Jean

Kyriotate of Jean is definitely one of the most potent attunements in the game. On the other hand, the sheer mayhem makes it pretty keen, too.

To counter it:
* Use Force Catchers (from the Liber Reliquarum). Liberally. If you can tell at a glance that these Kyriotates are giggling little munchkins, so can the demons. Especially after their car's been driven into the river a few times, or a Kyrio with Generator has possessed their clothing. Force Catchers are a small price to pay to avoid electric shorts.

* Assess some kind of mental stun if the object is destroyed/seriously damaged while the Kyriotate is in residence. Treating it as Mind hits is certainly useful, and enough of those can produce Discord till they heal. (IIRC Ethereal Combat correctly.)

* Be very strict about objects not getting too out of hand with what they can do.

* Assess dissonance if the host object gets destroyed. (Mind hits are probably something to try first, though.)

* Be inventive if the Kyriotate rolls a 666 to possess something. A demon cop car (as in, the car is a demon's vessel) is not beyond the pale, and may very well have a Will equal to the Kyriotate's.

If you want funny stories... Well, I'll see if Walter will tell on our Kyriotate. And all the things it possessed. And what it did there. (There are reasons the Song of Acid now requires a host with a mouth.) And how it took over the police radio when the Renegade Lilim was trying to claim "officer down" after it tied her shoe laces together and shot her gun through the holster.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:04 PM   #3
milliken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth
To counter it:
* Use Force Catchers (from the Liber Reliquarum).
Which, I will note, were specifically invented to handle the Lightning Kyrio in our own game. (Who, I will note, was being played by a young teenager at the time. So be warned....)

Quote:
If you want funny stories... Well, I'll see if Walter will tell on our Kyriotate. And all the things it possessed. And what it did there.
Gack. I'm not sure I remember all of those off the top of my head.

Let's see, a few observations:
- Tire valves make fun toys, especially on a car being driven by a demon at high speed. (Or was that a Divine Intervention that flattened all four tires at once...?)
- The walls have ears. So do the floors and ceiling. Also note that most ceilings are part of the same structure as the floor of the room above, I generally treat a Kyrio in the floor as possessing the whole room floor and corresponding ceiling. Likewise both sides of a wall, usually. Traveling around in a building is pretty easy, though it takes a lot of possession rolls (and the consequent chances of a bad Intervention -- but I gave up making the player roll for objects like this, it because way too much of a nuisance. I asked for a roll now and then, though).
- As Elizabeth noted, never have a loaded gun (or hand grenade, or any other technological weapon) on your person if you want to be safe from Lightning Kyrios. Swords are probably safe. Unless the Kyrio has Generator, of course....
- I allow Kyrios limited movement in vessels that can flex or change shape but don't have actual joints. A possessed chair can't move around unless it has wheels, but a fire hose can coil and uncoil (and spit acid, as I recall...).
- I let Kyrios operate computers while possessing them, but not actually access all the data inside them -- that takes a skill roll, like anyone else breaking into the computer. And a Kyrio in a computer can't read encrypted data any more easily than anyone else. (On the other hand, if it possesses the computer while the user is entering the password, well....)
- Physical locks, on the other hand (including electronic ones), are easily operated.
- "Pizza teleport" -- any Kyrio can do this, Lightning ones can also do it without a human on the other end, as long as there's an answering machine, fax machine, modem, or the like on the far end of the phone call. I don't allow just a ringing phone to be used as the target, though. (The name comes from calling up a pizza delivery place from the phone book of whatever city the Kyrio needs to get to quickly, and taking over the delivery guy for a few minutes.)

Quote:
And how it took over the police radio when the Renegade Lilim was trying to claim "officer down" after it tied her shoe laces together and shot her gun through the holster.
Actually the "officer down" incident involved it backing the police car into her when the Lilim was standing outside of it, I think. Imitating her on the radio, though, took an acting skill roll to get her voice right. As I recall, the Kyrio promptly and helpfully described the assailants as the overenthusiastic demons with the shotguns in the old van, rather than the local angels. (This was from the Feast of Blades adventure, which took several shortcuts through the plot thanks to the Kyrio, as well as an Intervention at an opportune moment.)

---Walter

Last edited by milliken; 12-22-2005 at 08:08 PM.
milliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 06:35 AM   #4
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

It was a DI on the demon's driving roll that got all four of them at once. Bezzy drove two cars into the drink, on two separate occasions, though, and he flattened tires as well now and again.

At one point, an Impudite of Tech looked at the Kyrio-possessed wall and noticed his Essence -- which was when he started dumping Essence into his friends so that he could follow Techpudites as a "normal" bird.

Did Bez back the car into her? I thought that was our Ofanite in the Van doing that while we kidnapped the Target. Bez did tie her shoe laces together first, and I think he drove her car into the water. (We know it wasn't serious "officer down" that we heard on our police-band radio because of the indignant Seraph adding, "On her butt!")
Old 12-23-2005, 11:19 AM   #5
RadLilim

The one I'm playing hasn't been to powerful, in my opinion. It helps if the player isn't interested in being all powerful also. I've always liked the idea that while Kyrios of Lightning are great with using machines as hosts, they then have less experience with using flesh bodies. It's one idea to add some role-playing possibilities.

My favorite story is when I was tracking a Lilim of Infernal Fire who had some stolen heaven tech with her. All I had to do was find her, posses the gun and then use Transfiguration to take is up to Jean. She was so ****** that she burned the entire house down. Caused some damage to some other hosts of the Domination though, so had to eat some dissonance. But it was a fun time!

Wanna buy one? - Radueriel, Free Lilim
RadLilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 03:59 PM   #6
Sagitta

Quote:
Originally Posted by milliken
(This was from the Feast of Blades adventure, which took several shortcuts through the plot thanks to the Kyrio, as well as an Intervention at an opportune moment.)
Snap! But in my case it was a Kyriotate of Destiny (and just to pile on the creative load for the overworked GM, we had a Mercurian of Destiny too). At one point this character possessed a demonling during a fight, and received a DI allowing it to turning its host on its fellows without suffering dissonance. That was quite a confusing scrap.

But not as funny as when the same player was trying to destroy the dagger at the end, and rolled six sixes in a row. I'll explain that one when I get back after Christmas.
Sagitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 08:23 AM   #7
RadLilim

I thought I'd try this hear before making a new thread.

How do people handle the Malakite of War attunement? Is it danger towards the Angel? Toward where the angel's group? Danger in general? Can they focus in on a certian type of danger (i.e. danger aimed at a certain Tether)?

Old 12-27-2005, 08:31 AM   #8
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

We called it Danger Sense in GURPS -- so to the angel in particular. (Mind, anything that threatens a War angel is likely to threaten everyone around that angel...)

The GM is free to add some dramatic effects, but should warn the players ahead of time. (And a player of anyone with that attunement should double-check with the GM...)
Old 12-27-2005, 10:32 AM   #9
RadLilim

It would be physical (or mental and soul) danger then? Not danger to current mission or anything like that?

Old 12-27-2005, 11:26 AM   #10
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Well, he's the Archangel of War, not the Archangel of Long-Term Plots and Plans, Some Of Which Get Violent...

Therefore, yeah -- a Michaelite knows when a (violent) conflict is brewing, not when someone's about to slap him with a spurious lawsuit.

Tags
jean, kyriotates