Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Magic to RPM Complete Conversion

I want to do an overhaul when I get the opportunity! There's more that I wanted to add to this project, it never got around to completion, and I'm going to fix the way that I go about creating these rituals. I'll start a new thread when v2 comes out! The more you pester me, the faster you'll get it! No, seriously. I'm weird like that.

I have finally (more or less) completed my GURPS Magic to RPM conversion. There are definitely still things that I need to tweak, but I haven't got around to them. However, I wanted to share this already. It was bugging me that I hadn't done it because I hadn't finished it. I won't have the time to really sit down and iron out the kinks.

As a .xls file for older versions of Office.
As a .xlsx file for newer versions of Office.
Enjoy!

Important:
  • This is more of a DF-level compendium. Add and/or remove greater effects to fit these rituals to what you need. No specifics were used to determine lesser/greater effects. Just whatever felt right.
  • For missile spells, I added in a lesser control effect since I was getting rid of the greater on those. This is not strictly necessary. The added lesser control effects can be removed. However, I thought that 6 energy felt too cheap for a 3d fireball, and 11 was just right.
  • Some spells are missing certain modifiers (usually range) because those are generally use-dependent.
  • Extra energy usually stands for damage modifiers (enhancement/limitations) which are priced at 1 point per 5%.
  • The Enchantment college is not included because official RPM enchantment will be something "that's compatible with RPM but doesn't actually use RPM to perform the enchantments".

If you can offer any help or critique, or whatnot... I'd be happy to hear you out! If you have a great suggestion, I might just put you in as [Name]'s version of [Spell] at the bottom of the appropriate list. If your suggestion is phenomenal, I might just have to fix some spells completely.

Changelog:
Spoiler:  

Hope you guys find this useful! I know that my players already have. Shout out to all of those who have helped me (directly and indirectly) in creating this thing. It's quite the monster. Special shout-outs to Ghostdancer and RPK for being doing the tango with ghosts and peeing on various felines.

P.S. - If you're into RPM for DF then look here. Langy created some amazing homebrew for how he thought it should work.
P.P.S. - There are extra Plant college spells (still being worked on) from this handy supplement.

I want to do an overhaul when I get the opportunity! There's more that I wanted to add to this project, it never got around to completion, and I'm going to fix the way that I go about creating these rituals. I'll start a new thread when v2 comes out! The more you pester me, the faster you'll get it! No, seriously. I'm weird like that.

Last edited by Raekai; 03-17-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Magic to RPM Complete Conversion

That... is monumental. I take it there is a reason enchantment isn't included?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 06-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
Christopher R. Rice

I suppose this puts a damper on me actually submitting my own conversions for a official supplement though...still RPM resources are RESOURCES! Nice Job Raekai!

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Old 06-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
Laughing Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I suppose this puts a damper on me actually submitting my own conversions for a official supplement though...still RPM resources are RESOURCES! Nice Job Raekai!
Then why don't post your conversions here? It only can help, if you aren't going to publish them anyway :)
Old 06-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Then why don't post your conversions here? It only can help, if you aren't going to publish them anyway :)
If I ever did release them I'd probably put them on my blog and link here.

Become a Patron!
Old 06-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
That... is monumental. I take it there is a reason enchantment isn't included?
Forgot to mention that! In the upcoming RPM book, it is said that there will be a special way to enchant things. I'm waiting to see how that works before I dig deep into enchantments. Edited the main post to show why!

Quote:
Thank you so much! And don't let it put a damper on that! Like I said in a thread last night... There are so many ways to build the same spells! I just felt that this would be a good resource.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
Laughing Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
I have finally (more or less) completed my GURPS Magic to RPM conversion. Plant spells are still unfinished because I'm adding in the spells from the book full of them. There are still things that I need to tweak, but I haven't got around to them. However, I wanted to share this already. It was bugging me that I hadn't done it because I hadn't finished it. I won't have the time to really sit down and iron out the kinks.
About what tweaks and kinks are you talking? Anything particular? Maybe it helps if potential helpers know where to start.

Also thank you for this big conversion. I just started getting into RPM a few days ago and this definitely makes it more attractive. Too bad you didn't get around completing the Plant college, because I was thinking of using RPM for druids/shamans in GURPS DF, but I guess you deserve a break ;)
Old 06-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #8
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
About what tweaks and kinks are you talking? Anything particular? Maybe it helps if potential helpers know where to start.

Also thank you for this big conversion. I just started getting into RPM a few days ago and this definitely makes it more attractive. Too bad you didn't get around completing the Plant college, because I was thinking of using RPM for druids/shamans in GURPS DF, but I guess you deserve a break ;)
I'm glad this is a good start!

For tweaks and kinks... Some things might just not "work right" or they might need to be looked at or adjusted again. I need to redo ALL of the cone spells because cone is too expensive, and there is a way to make it cheaper.

The plant college is done! However, there is a supplement that was made JUST for plant spells, and I'm about one third of the way done with that.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Forgot to mention that! In the upcoming RPM book, it is said that there will be a special way to enchant things. I'm waiting to see how that works before I dig deep into enchantments.
You can use this link to PK's site for now. I'll also toss out there that I've got a article in the works that'll expand those rules by quite a bit. And, because apparently I've not tapped out my self-promotion for the week, I had RPM enchantment in mind when I created my Metatronic Generators article. I had to cut a ton of stuff on it in fact to make it fit. So that can be used as well.

Quote:
Thank you so much! And don't let it put a damper on that! Like I said in a thread last night... There are so many ways to build the same spells! I just felt that this would be a good resource.
Yup. I've got nothing but good "feels" on your little project here. When I get some free time I'll comment more heavily, but first glance it looks fantastic. I really think it'll help the community when they try to put spells together themselves.

Become a Patron!

Last edited by Christopher R. Rice; 06-27-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #10
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Yup. I've got nothing but good "feels" on your little project here. When I get some free time I'll comment more heavily, but first glance it looks fantastic. I really think it'll help the community when they try to put spells together themselves.
That really means a lot to me coming from you! I know how much I struggled in the beginning to grasp it, and now that I have such a grasp... I felt the need to share my good with the world! Anything to bring more people into the best system for magic ever! And I can't wait for your comments!
Closed Thread

Tags
conversion, magic, rituals, rpm, spells