Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
GregGlenNye

Default Walking into Persistent AOE

when is the effects of persistent AOE triggered? if a character walks through 3 yards of fire, does he take damage as he enters the first hex? Every Hex? at the end of the entire movement? does he take damage at the start of his turn if he is currently within the effect? also what would be the +% if i wanted to have a persistent AOE innate attack that applies it's effect for every Yard someone moved through?
GregGlenNye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Walking into Persistent AOE

Unless an effect requires more than just touching it, such as a respiratory agent, the effect is immediate and then every second you remain in the area.

If you want to basically make every yard cause the effect, you would need a rapid fire (possibly bombardment) to blanket an area with 1 yard hexes. Possibly add a Cosmic effect to ensure a uniform spread instead of rolling for holes in the effect.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
GregGlenNye

I am not sure how applying cosmic with bombardment would create the effect. ill describe the ability i wish to create further. it's an innate attack that produces a 2 yard radius of small Force Bubbles. each bubble produces a small amount of force and individually their effect is negligible, however in thick concentration, a being inside the effect or trying to walk through causes a small amount of damage and a loss of some of their movement if they fail a HT roll.

so what i have so far is as follows
1 point crushing damage(.25 * 5 = 1.25 = 2)
Area Effect (+50%)2 yards
Persistent(+40%) 10 seconds
Emanation(-20%)
Drifting(+20%)
applies once for every yard(+?%)
slows movement by 1 every yard(+?%) on a failed HT roll

I also don't know the cost of slowing movement...
GregGlenNye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
Nereidalbel

Affliction: Disadvantage (Reduced move) gets your slow. Make the %cost match the point value of how many levels of reduced move you want. Also, get Cumulative if you want the slows to stack.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
vierasmarius

For damage, I'd price it at the highest cumulative damage you want the attack to inflict (ie, for complete immersion for a full second, or moving across the entire area). Add a limitation if partial or shorter-duration exposure does less than full damage. In this case, because a subject could limit the damage they take by simply not moving, the limitation would be a bit higher.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
For damage, I'd price it at the highest cumulative damage you want the attack to inflict (ie, for complete immersion for a full second, or moving across the entire area). Add a limitation if partial or shorter-duration exposure does less than full damage. In this case, because a subject could limit the damage they take by simply not moving, the limitation would be a bit higher.
So, have the attack have a base 3 damage, then a limitation that let's the victim figure out how to take less damage. Oh, and maybe something akin to AD for 'you take 1 damage each yd' because armor will apply to the attack three times.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
So, have the attack have a base 3 damage, then a limitation that let's the victim figure out how to take less damage. Oh, and maybe something akin to AD for 'you take 1 damage each yd' because armor will apply to the attack three times.
Malediction will ignore DR just fine. Sure it allows a resist roll, but it also beats hardened.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #8
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
Hmm, yeah. I'd treat it similarly to Variable Costs FP, where you base the limitation value on the average for all levels of the attack. It's a little more complicated though, because unlike Costs FP its not a linear progression.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #9
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Malediction will ignore DR just fine. Sure it allows a resist roll, but it also beats hardened.
But in my example, you would have to roll three times to succeed.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantages, aoe, innate attack, rules