Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
TheRogueTB
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default Cleric question

After using the clerics power to pull cards from the discard piles in exchange for your cards during the Kick the Door Down phase, can you still draw a card during the loot phase? I assume you cannot "Look for Trouble".
TheRogueTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor
 
Andrew Hackard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Default Re: Cleric question

When a Cleric is Kicking Down The Door, she can resurrect precisely ONE card -- the card she will play as her Kick. And it must be the top card from the Door discards.

This card is treated as the Door Kick for all purposes, so if it's not a monster, the Cleric absolutely can Loot The Room or Look For Trouble, as she sees fit.
__________________
Andrew Hackard || Munchkin Line Editor, Steve Jackson Games

Twitter: @SJGames || Facebook: SJ Games and Munchkin || Medium: @SJGames
Instagram: @stevejacksongames || YouTube: Steve Jackson Games

New Munchkin player? Visit our Munchkin 101 forum!
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:54 AM   #3
TheRogueTB
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default Re: Cleric question

Thanks Andrew, clear. Can you give me some other instances when you could use the Resurrect power?
TheRogueTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:49 AM   #4
Clipper
 
Clipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Default Re: Cleric question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRogueTB View Post
Thanks Andrew, clear. Can you give me some other instances when you could use the Resurrect power?
You can use Resurrection whenever you are told to draw a card or cards face-up. The other common time that you can use it is when you win a combat where you had a helper (not where you were helping someone else, though). In this case, you can choose to resurrect some or all of the Treasure that you would draw for winning the fight, before distributing the drawn cards as per your deal with the helper. Note also that you decide how many cards you will resurrect and how many cards you will draw normally before you start drawing or resurrecting cards.

Other cards like Pack Rat and The Dungeon Casino from Munchkin 3: Clerical Errors may tell you to draw a card face-up too, and you can thus use Resurrection, but there seems to be little value in listing all such cards.
__________________
My unofficial, but comprehensive Flowcharts: Munchkin: A4 Letter; Munchkin Quest: A4 Letter
Rules Checklist for all Munchkin sets: A4 Letter.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
Sabin
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default Re: Cleric question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
When a Cleric is Kicking Down The Door, she can resurrect precisely ONE card -- the card she will play as her Kick. And it must be the top card from the Door discards.

This card is treated as the Door Kick for all purposes, so if it's not a monster, the Cleric absolutely can Loot The Room or Look For Trouble, as she sees fit.
Can an Epic Cleric resurrect two cards when Kicking Down the Door? If so, does she declare how many she will resurrect before drawing any, or can she resurrect one, then another afterward? For example, her opponent discarded two Doors during charity, as a stack not revealing the second card, and she wants to know what it is before resurrecting it (imagine she is wearing a Tin Foil Hat and her opponent buries a Curse! under the first card), since she can't look through the discards unless some effect tells her to.

We play the she can resurrect one or both, and must declare the quantity before activating the power (so she couldn't see the second card before choosing to resurrect it). Thanks!
Sabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
Brf
 
Brf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Default Re: Cleric question

Yes. The epic cleric can resurrect both cards. They are drawn at the same time, so you would have to declare beforehand if you are resurrecting one or two, and set aside that many cards to discard before the draw.
Brf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
Clipper
 
Clipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Default Re: Cleric question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin View Post
Can an Epic Cleric resurrect two cards when Kicking Down the Door? If so, does she declare how many she will resurrect before drawing any, or can she resurrect one, then another afterward?
Yes she can resurrect one or both, and if only one, she has to decide how many to resurrect and how many to draw normally before either card is drawn.

Quote:
For example, her opponent discarded two Doors during charity, as a stack not revealing the second card, and she wants to know what it is before resurrecting it (imagine she is wearing a Tin Foil Hat and her opponent buries a Curse! under the first card), since she can't look through the discards unless some effect tells her to.
While you are not allowed to look through the discards, cards that are discarded must be openly discarded, so the Cleric should be able to know what both cards are in this case, unless she forgot. If someone tries to discard multiple cards at the same time without showing what they are, any player at the table may ask to see them.

Quote:
We play the she can resurrect one or both, and must declare the quantity before activating the power (so she couldn't see the second card before choosing to resurrect it). Thanks!
That is correct, apart from the parenthesised statement for the reason given above.
__________________
My unofficial, but comprehensive Flowcharts: Munchkin: A4 Letter; Munchkin Quest: A4 Letter
Rules Checklist for all Munchkin sets: A4 Letter.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
Sabin
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default Re: Cleric question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
While you are not allowed to look through the discards, cards that are discarded must be openly discarded, so the Cleric should be able to know what both cards are in this case, unless she forgot. If someone tries to discard multiple cards at the same time without showing what they are, any player at the table may ask to see them.
Ah! We've been playing this wrong. We sort of assumed it would be munchkinly to hide cards this way in epic play. Thanks!
Sabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:34 PM   #9
Danox3
 
Danox3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Rochester, Ny
Default Re: Cleric question

Ok, riddle me this...

Playing with 2 players ( I know 3 is desired), we're both Clerics. There's a Level 2 monster in the discard Door pile.

Can we both just keep beating this weak monster, taking treasures, till one makes level 10?

I opted to draw a new card, as to keep the game moving, but was just wondering if that is how the rules dictate.
Danox3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #10
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor
 
Andrew Hackard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Default Re: Cleric question

Questions about house rules, such as two-player games, are not really appropriate Munchkin 101 fodder. That said, any player could play a Door card from their hand, or discard thier Class or Race, to cover the monster and prevent another player from continuing the cycle.
__________________
Andrew Hackard || Munchkin Line Editor, Steve Jackson Games

Twitter: @SJGames || Facebook: SJ Games and Munchkin || Medium: @SJGames
Instagram: @stevejacksongames || YouTube: Steve Jackson Games

New Munchkin player? Visit our Munchkin 101 forum!
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cleric

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.