Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 05-30-2013, 06:22 PM   #31
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: [OCC]: Space Merchant

Made a few changes in the character post...

Removed Squeamish and Post combat shakes, and compensated by changing Legless to Quadriplegic, so all his limbs have been replaced.

Also added the Smuggling skill, and changed Area Knowledge from (human trade routes) to (Human Space)

I could go darker and replace pacifism with Greed, or lighter and switch it to Charitable... If you feel Pacifism Self Defense isn't the best choice for the game...

I have been going back and forth on whether I want him greedy...

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 05-30-2013 at 06:28 PM.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #32
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Self Defense is fine, Its just an odd choice in conjunction with intimidate.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #33
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Self Defense is fine, Its just an odd choice in conjunction with intimidate.
Hmnn, I was thinking of bluffing, but maybe I'll just drop it.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #34
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Threats don't have to be physical though:

"I'll sue.."
"I'll make you so despised..."
"You'll never find another job.."

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 05-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #35
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Threats don't have to be physical though:

"I'll sue.."
"I'll make you so despised..."
"You'll never find another job.."
Yep... Still Greed is kind of calling to me...lol

And the non-fright check version of Squeamish is kind of cool.

I need to do a bit of character story to get the fine points... I'll do that soon.

You mentioned Mafia before... Is there an organized crime group? Does it use Rank?
What do you think of an Obsession to establish the aforementioned "Human Trade Routes"?

As I said, he's still a working copy, not a final submission... but I did want you to know where I was "at"

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 05-30-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #36
Talosian

Quote:
"I'll sue.."
Heh heh heh...

Quote:
Hmm... Fright checks...Not a fan... I'll tell you what: reduce the point cost by 5 and take the penalty when the phobia is in play. That goes for both Matrix Walker and Talosian. If you want to use a 5 point version (post combat shakes counts) it will need to last for a day. I hope that's fair.
Works for me! I'm guessing that we're reducing it by -5 points before multiplying for the CR? So:

CR: 6 (-4) = -20
CR: 9 (-3) = -15
CR: 12 (-2) = -10
CR: 15 (-1) = -5

-

Quote:
Flashbacks...hmmm. I'm not sure if the person isn't doing anything during the hallucination, or if they just get the penalty for that amount of time. Could someone explain?
My understanding is that they are experiencing various levels of auditory/visual hallucinations depending upon the severity of the disadvantage. Only Flashbacks (Severe) says that it precludes skill use, so I'd assume that Flashbacks (Mild) lets you function normally, but you suffer a -2 penalty 'cause you're hearing stuff and mentally/visually seeing some amount of horrific things...

Quote:
Only one sleep-base disadvantage please.
Gotcha.

Quote:
Yes, I think I can deal with the massive set of disads.

The Replaced fingers is a nice touch (more on that later).
Shiny!

Quote:
Alien torture:
The aliens who would have done this are called the Lichanen, and what they would have done is not technically torture, but experiments (which most humans would have seen as just as monstrous). They would be trying to do things which to them make perfect sense and would have improved the human's quality of life. He would not come out looking the same, though everything would be 'fixable'. He would have stolen the ship and escaped off world that way. The local government would have course confiscated the ship.

package offer[0]:
decreased appearance 1 [-4]
Hidden Lore (Lichanen) [1]
Lichanen Language (broken) [2]
Familiarity (Lichanen Equipment) [1]
Okay, so when we say that he wouldn't come out looking the same, what exactly are we talking about? The way it was said sounds more like grotesque physical alteration than massive scarring. And when we say fixable, are we talking about him ending up with scarring from reparative surgery?

Going this route, I'd probably rearrange events so that he spent a couple of years hiding in the swamp/forest of this Lichanen world before being captured (and swap gunship for a normal fighter, and crew members for other captives).
Talosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #37
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Thanks. I can't wait to hear the thrilling story of how he lost his limbs!

On another note, I'm building the first couple of worlds, and drawing up your remaining crew mates.

the Owner and Captain is Robert Jackson, who has a rich and varied history as a star ship captain, and is famous for his involvement in scouting prospective colony worlds. His wife died recently, and he appears to be trying to leave his memories of her behind on the planet. He is fond of antique computers and software, and a fairly savvy investor. While born before earth's destruction, he has never put foot on it and grew up aboard artificial habitats.

Hezakiah Horsepool is a bio and materials engineer, specializing in the creation (growing) of diamonoid materials suspended in water. He is just off of an apprenticeship, and while willing to leave the planet, perhaps forever, seems a little reckless. Part of your cargo includes many biological specimens, some engineered, and some just rare specimens from earth, and some unique alien species.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #38
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talosian View Post
Works for me! I'm guessing that we're reducing it by -5 points before multiplying for the CR? So:

CR: 6 (-4) = -20
CR: 9 (-3) = -15
CR: 12 (-2) = -10
CR: 15 (-1) = -5
correct.

Quote:
My understanding is that they are experiencing various levels of auditory/visual hallucinations depending upon the severity of the disadvantage. Only Flashbacks (Severe) says that it precludes skill use, so I'd assume that Flashbacks (Mild) lets you function normally, but you suffer a -2 penalty 'cause you're hearing stuff and mentally/visually seeing some amount of horrific things...
Ok... thats allowable, but it won't be a flat 6: If he's being hunted by aliens in ruins, he's rolling vs more than a 6, and if he's testifying in his own murder trial, it will be less.

Quote:
Okay, so when we say that he wouldn't come out looking the same, what exactly are we talking about? The way it was said sounds more like grotesque physical alteration than massive scarring. And when we say fixable, are we talking about him ending up with scarring from reparative surgery?
Photosynthetic skin is where it mostly comes from. That does result in massive scaring. And they kept trying and trying. Other captives had muscles replaced, Digestive tracts replaced, and one poor fellow died after a successful brain transplant (alien body) due to an immune system failure. They were trying hard not to kill the captives though, and they could bring them back from near-dead.

Quote:
Going this route, I'd probably rearrange events so that he spent a couple of years hiding in the swamp/forest of this Lichanen world before being captured (and swap gunship for a normal fighter, and crew members for other captives).
Thats fine.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #39
the_matrix_walker

You mentioned Mafia before... Is there an organized crime group? Does it use Rank or have it's own savior faire specialization?

What do you think of an Obsession to establish the aforementioned "Human Trade Routes"?
Old 05-30-2013, 10:39 PM   #40
Talosian

Quote:
Ok... thats allowable, but it won't be a flat 6: If he's being hunted by aliens in ruins, he's rolling vs more than a 6, and if he's testifying in his own murder trial, it will be less.
Absolutely! Makes a lot more sense anyway.

Quote:
Other captives had muscles replaced,
Replaced with what? O_o

No trait-significant side effects/irreversible results of the stuff they do? (There's some cool stuff in Bio-Tech, just saying :P)

-

Gonna start reworking Ezra now. Unless I hear otherwise, I'm gonna assume his fingers were taken off to be replaced with tentacle-fingers, which were later replaced with bionic fingers.
Talosian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
space merchant