Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 06-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #111
Justin Bedard

Default Re: [OCC]: Space Merchant

there's nothing Comtox can "do" right now, except prep a drone or something similar...

Matrix, if you describe Gabriel in more detail, I can draw him (face, hairstyle, clothes & cybernetic limbs). same for anyone else.

Last edited by Justin Bedard; 06-08-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Justin Bedard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:05 AM   #112
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Bedard View Post
there's nothing Comtox can "do" right now, except prep a drone or something similar...

Matrix, if you describe Gabriel in more detail, I can draw him (face, hairstyle, clothes & cybernetic limbs). same for anyone else.
Thanks anyway, but I'll take care of a character image on my own when I get around to it...

And his limbs look human unless they're damaged, we've got the TL for that ;)
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #113
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Also, I changed around Cybernetist to Drone Technician (just changes the basic skills towards drones instead of computers), and want to know if remote-control of the drones is driving (Drones) or something else.
electronics operation (drones) IQ/E.
driving is appropriate for some, but those are mostly combat drones or racing drones.

Quote:
I've got 4 points left to spend as well, and they have to go into advantages, any ideas?
I'd save 'em. Something will come up and you'll say "why didn't I get that! it fits the character so well!" And I'll say "lets pretend you did!"

Quote:
Computer Hacking/TL10 IQ\VH+1 14 4
expert skill (Computer Security) IQ\H. We don't do cinematic hacking around here.

Quote:
Talent (Drone Expert) 2 [10]
please list skills.

Quote:
Gizmo 1 [5]
With the way the game works this amounts to "automatically makes 1 planning roll". You won't get the effect where the item works after you've been through places you shouldn't. It may be worth it though for very obscure things though.

Quote:
Obelisk; 300 000$ (Not Carried, Signature Gear)
I'm not sure what this is. Please describe it.

Quote:
Ericthered, I need to know if WD-AI's are legal (Weak Dedicated Artificial Intelligence; the N-AI with no "upgrades") to see if my drones are capable of handling small things like recharging themselves, moving to a specific spot on command, and remote-control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
It is only Volitional IA (potential sentient) and Personality emulation is forbidden. so you should have no problem with that sort of thing... (I've got a bot that follows me around the ship all the time.) The important question for your character is whether volitional IQ has existed and been outlawed intentionally suppressed, or conveniently not yet discovered...
correct. Drones can do a lot, and are a large part of the reason your starting Wealth is doubled: they do a LOT of humanities menial labor. They tend to be highly specialized, learn extremely poorly, and have very little initiative.

Volitional AI has not been discovered: the closest to the effects was stripping down a human brain and building a full cyborg with digital input only. Its was quite illegal in the IAH (humanities's world confederation at time of destruction), and messing with those laws was considered the equivalent of torture and genocide. At this point you don't even have the tech for it.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #114
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

By the way, If you don't respond for a while, I reserve the right to make your character act.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 06-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #115
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Offer them the information trading deals: the best info we have on Aqua for the best they have on Hell: maps for maps, biologicals for biologicals, if they have 'em. and so on.
This is HUGE... Most of the data we'd be getting would be accessible for free via their internet, or could be traded for on the cheap since it is all common to their every day community... Meanwhile, anything we had that is alien to them could be sold... allot of it could be virtually priceless.

I'm planning on using this kind of thing to help fund the comm network of the future... are you sure you want us to just give it all away?

It's kind of like a moon-man coming to earth, and trading his moon rock, for one of our ordinary rocks... The moon rock is priceless in comparison...

I'm certain they'd be thrilled to be offered a free exchange of data... But I would recommend keeping out data protected, and finding out what we can get first.. Then we can talk about trading for valuable things they have that we want.

I want Gabriel to get boots on the ground and Comtox to get cracking into their network (normal legal public information), investigate their economy, make some (seemingly) minor trades, then start to invest in the right businesses that we can calculate will thrive under the circumstances of the new technologies we have for them. Not to mention the impact of the "larger universe" our arrival represents....

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 06-09-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #116
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
You can get on the computer and see if we can pick up a network signal... the space elevator is probably transmitting for the satellites. We may have to wait for approval (unless you just want to hack it), but they may just have general access... won't know until we check, and Comtox is the expert!
Old 06-10-2013, 02:33 AM   #117
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
This is HUGE... Most of the data we'd be getting would be accessible for free via their internet, or could be traded for on the cheap since it is all common to their every day community... Meanwhile, anything we had that is alien to them could be sold... allot of it could be virtually priceless.

I'm planning on using this kind of thing to help fund the comm network of the future... are you sure you want us to just give it all away?

It's kind of like a moon-man coming to earth, and trading his moon rock, for one of our ordinary rocks... The moon rock is priceless in comparison...

I'm certain they'd be thrilled to be offered a free exchange of data... But I would recommend keeping out data protected, and finding out what we can get first.. Then we can talk about trading for valuable things they have that we want.

I want Gabriel to get boots on the ground and Comtox to get cracking into their network (normal legal public information), investigate their economy, make some (seemingly) minor trades, then start to invest in the right businesses that we can calculate will thrive under the circumstances of the new technologies we have for them. Not to mention the impact of the "larger universe" our arrival represents....
Its fine with me... Jackson is mostly a survey scout, not a trader. If Gabriel wants to improve his fluency in information economics feel free to do so.

Quote:
You can get on the computer and see if we can pick up a network signal... the space elevator is probably transmitting for the satellites. We may have to wait for approval (unless you just want to hack it), but they may just have general access... won't know until we check, and Comtox is the expert!
The ship's a small place. You can always make comments on the bridge! The computer networks are also available, and information will be most available AFTER it is asked for. find what you (or Comtox) is interested in, and ask it.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #118
Justin Bedard

Hey, Ericthered, what does the Coconut (ship) look like?
also, what are it's specs. and dimensions.

Last edited by Justin Bedard; 06-10-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Justin Bedard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #119
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Code:
	warp	dV/tank	STL 	Weight
Empty	107.57	29	2.9	0.35
1	100.62	25	2.5	0.4
2	94.87	22	2.2	0.45
3	90.00	20	2.0	0.5
4	85.81	18	1.8	0.55
5	82.16	17	1.7	0.6
6	78.94	15	1.5	0.65
7	76.06	14	1.4	0.7
8	73.48	13	1.3	0.75
9	71.15	13	1.3	0.8
10	69.03	12	1.2	0.85
11	67.08	11	1.1	0.9
12	65.29	11	1.1	0.95
Full	63.64	10	1.00	1
warp is in c, STL is in g's, and weight is fraction of full weight. The Coconut can carry 6,000 tons of cargo and act as a SM 10 ship, or carry very little (though 100 tons cargo counts as 'little') and act as an SM 9.

The habitat is up in the front, and is a pair of counter balanced partial circles spinning as counter balances. This includes not only the living quarters, but the bridge, the computer systems, and biological storage. The 'wheel' is 120 meters across, a long and skinny extension from the main ship. Each end is 30 meters across. included in the wheel is one half of the warp engine, a long free-spinning piece of exotic material circling the entire habitat. The main cargo hold is something of a shell built around the access corridor to the engine room its about 60 yards long, with various compartments. power is provided by a large CNO fusion reactor, which occupies the core of the rear. Attached to that are a pair of long tubes coming out the end of the ship (The STL engines) and the remainder of the warp engine: a spinning wheel of spinning cylinders balanced on needle like points. There is no armor to speak of beyond radiation shielding.

waxing long and boring:
couple of in universe quirks about ships:
  • ships can run on basic one proton Hydrogen, if they have the right reactor (CNO).
  • CNO reactors are half as efficient as DT reactors (standard sci-fi fusion)
  • DT fuel is very expensive, as it has a much better power ratio and is fairly rare. Its a quasi-military thing, though Landers use it as well.
  • You can increase the warp speed by adding more engines. It increases as the square root as the number of engines: if I have four times as much weight devoted to a warp drive as you, I go twice as fast.
  • Warp drives are extremely exposed systems. Ships with them are very vulnerable to STL combat and are almost never armored

Old 06-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #120
the_matrix_walker

So I don't expect the financial and data investigation to be done right away, Bell with the help of the ships computer and his trusty drone "Pi", have allot of data to correlate and compare. Once that is complete however, we will be in an amazing position to be a true financial power... We can buy into the industries that are going to boom from what we trade with them and from the prospect of market expansion based on Aqua's confirmed existence.

Realistically, with Bell's skills and our position, we would all be pretty fabulously wealthy. In application, it depends on how you want it to work out... As long as Bell can make enough to set up a corporation start building the com chain back to Aqua, He'll be happy.

It's not really necessary to go into much detail on what he finds to exploit, we don't have to take up too much space in the IC on it if you don't want to... Economics is a pretty dry subject for roleplaying! But first contact of this type is Christmas morning for Bell.

BTW is contragrav in enough use that Pi can be the TL 10^ version of the tech-bot that is a floating sphere? (so cool)

BTW, I had some unanswered comments / questions back in post 94...
Quote:
On another note... I would like to have set up a small company on Aqua that is dealing with FTL tech. "Bell Communications" Has a nice ring to it... They would be doing standard business and waiting on word from me for a destination to start building a comm corridor and begin our network. If I was able to find some financial backers, they are already working on the first leg, a comm corridor to Ceres Beta (Backers would probably be the people most interested in the ore they process there). Is there an advantage or something you would like me to take to represent this?

I'd also like to have a database of schematics for the shipboard fabricator... Especially the components available from Ceres Beta and Aqua that they did not have in common, and those that were likely overlooked by some of the vessels in the fleeing fleet. Even if we do not fabricate them ourselves, the schematics alone will be nearly priceless to colonies with lost technologies we may carry.

Do we have a small compliment of FTL probes to use like messengers to send info back to Aqua (Or other places we visit later)?

Tags
space merchant