Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-16-2013, 03:19 AM   #1
gesus

Default Stealth detection roll's distance

I am confused about distance of a sense roll vs sneaking opponent.
Let's make some abstract examples.
Fighter 1 (F1) is sneaking to fighter 2 (F2) from his back. F2 cannot see F1 because of arc of vision. But he can hear and he's on guard. So it have to be a quick contest of Stealth vs hearing. Let's assume there are no modifiers to hearing except distance.
At which distance this hearing roll have to be made?
Does it have to be only one roll?

F2 is patrolling so he can possibly turn towards F1. Does a vision roll needed? And a hearing roll too? At what distance?

F2 is completely unaware and is not on guard. No sense rolls at all in this case?
gesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:37 AM   #2
Mailanka

Default Re: Stealth detection roll's distance

My friends and I started working out a "Tactical Stealth" system. Here's what we came up with.

1. If you're doing it "on a map" I'd probably make it one hearing check per turn, but "hearing distance" is tricky. The book lists it as -1 per doubling, so it can get pretty high in penalties for the listener pretty quickly. Remember that running is at -5, but it will mean you get to him faster, which means you might kill him better. I'm curious what the numbers would be of 5 turns of sneaking up on someone vs a 1 turn run at -5 to stealth.

If you're not doing it with a map, I'd just roll once.

2. Stealth never beats vision unless you're hiding. It covers the sort of "ducking behind something." Think of it like "sticky cover." If you're near something where you could hide, the stealth roll covers how well your character IS hiding, or how quickly he can duck behind cover if someone sees him. If that fails, or you can't hide, roll vision vs camoflage. Rolls to see something "in plain sight" are at +10.

So if you're standing in the middle of a road, even with camo, the other guy has +10 to see you. If you're lurking near some bushes, he doesn't have the +10 to see you and you get a stealth check and if that fails, you get a camo check.

3. I think you do, you just can't substitute observation for perception? Good question.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:10 AM   #3
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

The system is incomplete (i.e. so far requires some judgement), but here are the bits that seem solid to me:

Stealth can generally be used to resist Vision rolls by hiding. "A successful roll lets you conceal yourself anywhere except in a totally bare room." Thus, it gets the RAW -5 if there are few places to hide, up to +3 for good cover.
Note that since Vision normally rolls at +10 against a human-sized target, your chances will start looking equal at about 100 yards of distance. Plus/minus modifiers, of course.

As for hearing, I asked this question, but don't remember it enjoying an official answer.
However, GURPS High-Tech, page 158, lists "Leaves rustling, stalking person
40 dB(A), 0.25 yards" in the table of distances at which a sound is heard on an Unmodified Hearing Roll. For each doubling of range, you get -1 to Hearing.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:37 AM   #4
gesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
My friends and I started working out a "Tactical Stealth" system. Here's what we came up with.

1. If you're doing it "on a map" I'd probably make it one hearing check per turn, but "hearing distance" is tricky. The book lists it as -1 per doubling, so it can get pretty high in penalties for the listener pretty quickly.
So between 16 and 8 yards F2 still has -6 to hearing but will make 8 rolls. And 4 more rolls between 8 and 4 yard as -5 to hearing.
Seems a bit hard to get to melee range. But also realistic I suppose.
Thanks for the answer.
gesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:40 AM   #5
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Also note that the skill description of Stealth offers a single roll to get within 30, and another to get within 15 yards of an animal. So you shouldn't make too many rolls: the more you roll, the higher the chance of failure.

I suppose it's reasonable to record the dice result and then apply modifier to it.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
fifiste

Someone had a really decent stealth vs perception skill system worked out, with an example of sneaking up to a sentry. In this forum.
I'm not sure I think it was Bruno. I try to find it I think I bookmarked the post for my use, when I should GM something stealth
related.

OK found it i think its Captain Joy's post.
Spoiler:  

Last edited by fifiste; 04-16-2013 at 11:11 AM.
fifiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #7
kirbwarrior

Hmm, I had always thought you rolled Stealth vs Observation (Per-5) when sneaking up on someone. Observation seems to imply that, but Stealth says vs Perception. That even lined up with what I had thought (someone trained in Stealth can easily sneak up on someone who doesn't know how to observe).
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #8
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
Hmm, I had always thought you rolled Stealth vs Observation (Per-5) when sneaking up on someone. Observation seems to imply that, but Stealth says vs Perception. That even lined up with what I had thought (someone trained in Stealth can easily sneak up on someone who doesn't know how to observe).
I don't think you have to use Observation at default, I believe the intent is to use the better of Per or Observation.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
the_matrix_walker

Yeah, I fond a Kromm post to support that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Skills like Camouflage and Stealth normally go up against straight Per (or Vision or Hearing, where applicable). If your Observation happens to be at Per+1 or better, you may use it instead. That isn't the main use of Observation, though, but a nice side-benefit having the skill. Observation's principal use is covertly gathering intelligence in the manner of a spy, a detective on stakeout, a military scout, or a gangster casing a mark: defenses, security, staffing levels, alertness levels, shift changes, objectives of strategic interest, etc.

As for when it's a Quick Contest, the easiest way to think of it is like this:
  • When Stealth could actually achieve total surprise, roll a straight success roll. Success grants total surprise.
  • When Stealth could at most grant the sneaky party partial surprise, roll a Quick Contest. Victory grants partial surprise.
This decision is necessarily subjective . . . the GM may or may not accept "I'm on alert!" as good enough to shift the first case to the second, and might even wish to tie the choice of mechanics used to a plot point, not rules action.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #10
GodBeastX

Stealth works on hearing too, I think you guys missed that part of the skill. It is NOT just vision.

Modifiers: A penalty equal to your
encumbrance level. -5 to hide in an
area without “natural” hiding places,
or +3 or more if there are many hiding
places. -5 to move silently if you are
moving faster than Move 1. -5 to fool
those with Discriminatory Smell (e.g.,
dogs).

So clearly stealth is to resist being seen AND heard as well as smelled, notice you still roll stealth to get past a dog who might smell you.

Things you might want to look at:

- Silence Advantage which helps with stealth. Noisy is it's opposite as a disadvantage.

- Light Step Skill adds to your stealth roll when moving.

- Observation is countered by stealth visually.

etc etc
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote