Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
Ortega

Default How to manage water torture?

wikipedia said:
The victim has to drink all the water (or other liquids such as bile or urine) poured into the funnel to avoid drowning. The stomach fills until near bursting and is sometimes beaten until the victim vomits and the torture begins again. [...]
Water torture was used extensively and legally by the courts of France from the Middle Ages to the 17th and 18th centuries. It was known as being put to "the question", with the ordinary question consisting of eight pints (3.6 litres) of water forced into the stomach, and the extraordinary question consisting of sixteen pints (7.3 litres).

I have no idea about how to translate this in gurps4e rules. Low tech is laconic about it:
...is to force him to swallow an excessive amount of water (inflicting agony) until intoxication causes death.

How much HP and FP consume for session or for pints, and how to calculate beating damage on a inflated belly? How long a session can take, half hour perhaps? It need Fright Checks between session? And what are rules for intoxication? How much time need a character in order to regain full functionality?

If can be useful, the adventure background is much alike to Brotherhood of the Wolf.
Ortega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: How to manage water torture?

Agony costs 1 FP per minute and gives +3 to the torturer's interrogation roll. See B428.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
Anthony

Generally speaking, none of these details matter -- you're rolling Interrogation (Using Torture, +6), and the details of the torture are flavor text.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Generally speaking, none of these details matter -- you're rolling Interrogation (Using Torture, +6), and the details of the torture are flavor text.
+9 surely? Or do you think the Agony bonus doesn't stack with the Torture bonus?
Old 04-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #5
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
+9 surely? Or do you think the Agony bonus doesn't stack with the Torture bonus?
I think the Agony bonus is included in the Torture bonus (side point: man are the rules for torture generous. The interrogation skill is already pretty generous on how easy it is to get people to answer, and a +6 bonus is huge).

Last edited by Anthony; 04-04-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I think the Agony bonus is included in the Torture bonus.
What's the point of having the separate Agony bonus? If you are inflicting Agony while interrogating, isn't that torture? What happens when you use painless torture like Waterboarding?
Old 04-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #7
Ortega

Quote:
This for interrogation rolls, but my trouble is about how much time take the things and what are the conditions of the victim after that. Ideally I plan to jump the torture scene itself like screen goes black in movie, or like a research in a library when no matter what book you read. So my idea was like:
1- input (how much rough the torture will be, for this I search the variations on wikipedia)
2- things happen in back screen
3- outpout: know not only if the victim talk but, how much time take and what are his conditions, because there is a time rush to avoid next attach of the monster and the character is an important one so I need know when and how much he will be able to act again.

Last edited by Ortega; 04-04-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Ortega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortega View Post
3- outpout: know not only if the victim talk but, how much time take and what are his conditions, because there is a time rush to avoid next attach of the monster and the png is an important one so I need know when and how much he will be able to act again.
Interrogation takes 5 minutes per question B202. Agony inflicts 1 FP per minute B428.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #9
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
What happens when you use painless torture like Waterboarding?
What gives you the idea that waterboarding is painless? Waterboarding doesn't leave marks.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
What gives you the idea that waterboarding is painless? Waterboarding doesn't leave marks.
Alright, then some other painless form. Like threatening your loved ones, or making you watch every episode of Ridiculousness or something. Besides if it does include the +3 than when would you ever just get the +3 instead of the +6?

Tags
historical, low tech, rules, torture