Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 01-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
Dalillama

Default IC: I Must Go Down To the Seas Again

Chapter 1: A Tall Ship and a Star to Steer Her By*

Bristol Harbor, 16 May A.D. 1550:

The Merrie Dancer is in port this morning to reprovision for a voyage south to the Azores to seek her lawful prey. Captain Stephen Brand stands on the foredeck as his sailing master approaches him, looking nervous. “Sir, you know I was going to see me Polly, soon as we was on shore? When I told her what me prize money was from the last voyage we took, well she said that for that I could buy into one of her family's ships sir. A merchanter, like, and I'd be captain and master both, sir. I hate to leave you in the lurch, young Aidan's coming up well, but he's never fit to conn her by himself yet. Still and all, Captain, this is goodbye.”** As he turns to leave, he nearly stumbles over a lean young man, his hair caught back in a long queue by a silver chain. He wears the clothes of a young bravo, but all in purest white, tailored closely to his body. A long rapier hangs on one side of his belt and a main-gauche on the other.
"Begging pardon, Sir" stammers the sailor.
“Think nothing of it,” the other replies in cultured tones. He steps past the other man and approaches the captain. “Today, you will receive visitors upon your ship. Once they are boarded, you will set sail for Bermuda, there to quarter the oceans. You seek the vessel Fleur de Lorient, which was last seen in those waters.”

Ethel DeLeon waits in her cheap rented room above the harbor for a sign. She has been in Bristol three days, called here by a voice within her soul. As she looks out the window, she sees a striking figure standing on the deck of a caravel below. Even from here, she knows him, and knows where she must go next. She glances at the name of the vessel: The Merrie Dancer.

Francis Culpin is temporarily beached, the owners of his last vessel having been remiss in paying their tariffs to the Crown. With the ship impounded, her crew dispersed to find other berths. He is buying a round for a few of his former shipmates when a beefy figure in canvas slops pushes up to the bar next to him. “Franciel, I have a job for you to do. You're to be sailing master on a vessel called the Merrie Dancer, on loan from that puppy who... anyway, even he recognizes how important this is, lad. One of your old comrades had a mystical experience, and folk have been seeing the old ocean coming back. A few of my lads went looking for more, but we've had no word in too long. Go and find them, and look for the Waters. I don't need to tell you how important it is, but... please find him lad. Find him if he's still out there.”

On the rocks Along the Irish Sea:
The ground is carpeted with dozing seals, lazing on a spring morning. Scattered among them are things that are not quite seals, and one that is not a seal at all. She dreams.
A long blue serpent flaps six winglike fins gently as it swims through a sea of bubbles, each full of color and sound. It rises gently though them, up the side of a tall ivory tower. At the top, it undulates through an open window, which expands to fit its girth. Inside, there is a tall deer with great feathered wings sprouting from her back, surrounded by a faint blue aura. “You must leave my service for now, dear pearl. A child of the Waters has been seen to touch that Word again, and now all of Oannes' children are called to go seek him again. The seal-folk will have another emissary but you must go to Bristol harbor as soon as you wake, there to board a ship called Merrie Dancer. She sails to seek your father, and you must go too. You are strengthened by all the dreams of sailors, and I would see my old comrade again, if he yet lives.” In a moment, the scene dissolves, and a seal shuffles down to the water's edge, and disappears amidst the waves.

*I'll add new chapter headings at appropriate points
**This is an experiment; I'm coloring different languages differently. This is Sea Green, for Irish. Regular text is English, and other colors as the languages comes up.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
ladyarcana55

Default Re: IC: I Must Go Down To the Seas Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Ethel DeLeon waits in her cheap rented room above the harbor for a sign. She has been in Bristol three days, called here by a voice within her soul. As she looks out the window, she sees a striking figure standing on the deck of a caravel below. Even from here, she knows him, and knows where she must go next. She glances at the name of the vessel: The Merrie Dancer.
One nice thing about being a Celestial, one does not have to concern oneself with things like eating and sleeping. Ethel had spent her evening in meditation, and though it was deep, it did not mean that she was unaware.

She took the time to tend to herself before heading to her next destination. What she will find there she does not know, but she is ready nonetheless.

Soon, a tall figure begins to make her way to The Merrie Dancer. Once there, she looks over the people there with an intense gaze, as though she was looking for something. Satisfied with what she does not see, she asks the person nearest to her

"Excuse me, to whom do I ask for permission to board this vessel?"

Last edited by ladyarcana55; 01-30-2013 at 10:15 AM.
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
johndallman
Night Watchman

Fran finishes buying his round, makes his excuses on the grounds there's work afloat, and strolls round the docks until he finds Merrie Dancer. He sizes up the state of her rigging, then catches the eye of the woman standing near the foot of the gangplank "I think we ask that fellow who's working on the shrouds - they have no sentry, and he's the nearest crewman."
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
ladyarcana55

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Fran finishes buying his round, makes his excuses on the grounds there's work afloat, and strolls round the docks until he finds Merrie Dancer. He sizes up the state of her rigging, then catches the eye of the woman standing near the foot of the gangplank "I think we ask that fellow who's working on the shrouds - they have no sentry, and he's the nearest crewman."
She nods her thanks to him and motions for him to go ahead, she will follow.
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Chapter 1: A Tall Ship and a Star to Steer Her By*

Bristol Harbor, 16 May A.D. 1550:

The Merrie Dancer is in port this morning to reprovision for a voyage south to the Azores to seek her lawful prey. Captain Stephen Brand stands on the foredeck as his sailing master approaches him, looking nervous. “Sir, you know I was going to see me Polly, soon as we was on shore? When I told her what me prize money was from the last voyage we took, well she said that for that I could buy into one of her family's ships sir. A merchanter, like, and I'd be captain and master both, sir. I hate to leave you in the lurch, young Aidan's coming up well, but he's never fit to conn her by himself yet. Still and all, Captain, this is goodbye.”** As he turns to leave, he nearly stumbles over a lean young man, his hair caught back in a long queue by a silver chain. He wears the clothes of a young bravo, but all in purest white, tailored closely to his body. A long rapier hangs on one side of his belt and a main-gauche on the other.
"Begging pardon, Sir" stammers the sailor.
“Think nothing of it,” the other replies in cultured tones. He steps past the other man and approaches the captain. “Today, you will receive visitors upon your ship. Once they are boarded, you will set sail for Bermuda, there to quarter the oceans. You seek the vessel Fleur de Lorient, which was last seen in those waters.”
Always right to business with the bloody English, i'n it? Captain Brand thinks for just a moment. He'd be sorry to lose Jack and no mistake; a little more time with the sailing master would have made Aidan the steadiest hand in the seas.

Well, an' he'll have to learn by doin' now, won't he? Surest school of 'em all, and the most dangerous.

A French vessel. Pity they couldn't find him another Spaniard. Still, no one would be likely to complain if he happened to run across the less-than-faithful subjects of His Most Catholic Majesty.

"Passengers, is it?" he says congenially to the officious-sounding Englishman, thickening up the Gaelic accent just a touch more than necessary. "I hope they've at least traveled on somethin' bigger than a rowboat before. The last lubbers I had aboard found it necessary to make an offering to Neptune as we chased our prey."

He chuckles, not unpleasantly.

"Tell me more about 'em. And about this Flower of the Orient; I trust the fine gentlemen are interested in its golden petals?"

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"

Last edited by Rocket Man; 01-28-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
[

"Passengers, is it?" he says congenially to the officious-sounding Englishman, thickening up the Gaelic accent just a touch more than necessary. "I hope they've at least traveled on somethin' bigger than a rowboat before. The last lubbers I had aboard found it necessary to make an offering to Neptune as we chased our prey."

He chuckles, not unpleasantly.

"Tell me more about 'em. And about this Flower of the Orient; I trust the fine gentlemen are interested in its golden petals?"
"If that's how you've taught your men to answer their Commander, then it's as well I'm sending you." The man gives Brand a hard look, and a shadow flares about him, as of great black wings. "But still and all, Gudbrand, I will not tolerate any more impertinence from you. You are seeking the Fleur for a rescue, not for plunder; her crew, if they live, may have information of the greatest importance. She sailed seeking the Port of The Waters, and is well past time to report home. You will take the passengers you have been assigned, and you will sail where you are told, and if you do your job well, Heaven may once again have a navy, and you may be a part of it. Have no fear for your new shipmates, they are seafarers to their very souls, and will not impede your sailing."

Last edited by Dalillama; 01-28-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Captain Brand gives a bow that is both florid and sincere.

"Your pardon, sir. I meant no disrespect. I took you for one of the English that usually come upon the docks and quays; to not speak of gold around such men marks one as uncanny and lessens the useful service I can give to the cause."

He places his right hand on his sword hilt.

"It is my duty, my honor and my pleasure to serve as you command, m'lud. If any on this Earth can find and retrieve the Fleur, it shall be myself."

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:04 AM   #8
johndallman
Night Watchman

Fran hails the nearest crewman "Permission to board?"
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
DivaDS

A tall dark-haired woman climbs over the seaward rail of the ship without a word.
DivaDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #10
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Captain Brand gives a bow that is both florid and sincere.

"Your pardon, sir. I meant no disrespect. I took you for one of the English that usually come upon the docks and quays; to not speak of gold around such men marks one as uncanny and lessens the useful service I can give to the cause."

He places his right hand on his sword hilt.

"It is my duty, my honor and my pleasure to serve as you command, m'lud. If any on this Earth can find and retrieve the Fleur, it shall be myself."
His expression softens slightly. "See that you do. I shall be expecting prompt reports of any significant findings, as well." He turns to leave as a voice from the docks calls "Permission to board?"
"See, your visitors have arrived already." He flicks a hand towards the sea and the docks, and strides off towards the gangplank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Fran hails the nearest crewman "Permission to board?"
The man looks down at them. "Aye, come on up. Who be ye?" he replies in a thick brogue.