Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
Carlos

Default [DF] Limited Teleport Spell: an acceptable option?

Greetings, buddies.

Ok, I know that Kromm had his reasons to forbid the Teleport spell from DF series and that the main reason is to avoid players leaving the dungeon and ruining the game. Yet I think that's terrible because it removes the wizard's mobility in the battle.

One of the most influential inspirations to DF series was Diablo II. For those who know this game, you might recall that the Wizard could teleport anywhere in the screem, moving from where she was to where you clicked.

What about to allow an adjusted Teleport Spell (like those spells on DF 1, p. , giving wizards mobility in the battle map?

For example, you can only teleport to where you can see with your own eyes (not through spells or supernatural abilities)? In that way, you can't teleport to know places.

Again, I think that Teleport could be used in DF games to give Wizards mobility in the battle map, like Diablo II sorcerer.

So, what do you think?
Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
Dammann

Default Re: [DF] Limited Teleport Spell: an acceptable option?

With Line-of-Sight restrictions and standard range penalties, I would be ok with it, I think. For the sake of taking that all back if I find it ruins everything, I might prefer to make it available as a magic item.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
With Line-of-Sight restrictions and standard range penalties, I would be ok with it, I think. For the sake of taking that all back if I find it ruins everything, I might prefer to make it available as a magic item.
It has penalties (listed on skill description), it cost fatigue points and requires a Body Sense roll, a DX/Hard skill. It doesn't sound an adventure-crippling thing.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
For example, you can only teleport to where you can see with your own eyes (not through spells or supernatural abilities)? In that way, you can't teleport to know places.
Well, the main abuses for teleport are bypassing barriers and going in/out of the dungeon. Bypassing barriers isn't that big a deal, there are a bunch of methods past a door, but I'd probably just make teleport a Regular spell -- -1 per hex, -5 if you can't see the destination.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Well, the main abuses for teleport are bypassing barriers and going in/out of the dungeon. Bypassing barriers isn't that big a deal, there are a bunch of methods past a door, but I'd probably just make teleport a Regular spell -- -1 per hex, -5 if you can't see the destination.
Going in/out the Dungeon is ruled out if the spell is modified to "Line of Sight only". And spells like Walk on Earth and Ethereal Body also let the wizard bypass physical obstacles.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

LOS only is probably fair. It gets rid of the "I go back to town and get more supplies whenever we need to" dodge of teleportation, but lets it work in a combat setting.

You have to decide if a Wizard Eye counts as LOS or not, though.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #7
Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller_Dog View Post
LOS only is probably fair. It gets rid of the "I go back to town and get more supplies whenever we need to" dodge of teleportation, but lets it work in a combat setting.

You have to decide if a Wizard Eye counts as LOS or not, though.
As I said previously, I think that Teleport spell is amazing to give wizards mobility in the battle map (like the Diablo II Sorcerer), so the Line of Sight would exclude supernatural abilities as a way to cheat.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:07 AM   #8
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Line-of-sight Teleport doesn't seem broken to me. I would be strict about what "line of sight" means, though: Vision rolls to see into dark areas, no teleporting behind people if you can't see through them, etc.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:53 AM   #9
DavidSev

It also lets people teleport through locked doors or bars or other obstacles you can see through.

I seem to recall that sorta thing was given in the book as why it's banned.
DavidSev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:12 AM   #10
bcd

Even with a LoS limitation on teleport, Earth Vision can get you a long way (up to 50 yards through earth/uncut stone) although it is a bit of an energy drain. Depending on the dungeon this could be enough to get you in and out, not quite a word of recall but still.
bcd is offline   Reply With Quote