Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
DarkForce
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Default OOC: The Infinite, Interest and Q&A; possible offical OOC

So I have been running a star wars game on RPOL.net and it has been taking off with out a hitch. I would like to run the same game and story here with some difference.

Here is the Teaser Tag:

"The Galaxy has gone through a war between the Empire and the Rebellion. There is still a lot of Imperial fleets and high ranking officers. There are 7 that are in favor of rebuilding the Republic.

There 7 Moffs(this is like the Highest ranked general) are all in peace talks with the Rebel Alliance. Things are going well. Mon Mothma, the leader of the Rebel Alliance, is making great headway with the Moffs to re-create the Senate and rebuild the Republic.

However 1 Moff, Moff Garren does not agree with these peace talks. He has set about to destroy and assassinate the newly formed senate as well as the rebel leader and steal one of the greatest kept secrets in the Empire."

Here are some notes about the game...

1. It bends Cannon to damn well breaking it. If you are a hardcore fan boi you will not like it.

2. It will be low on the Jedi/Sith side. As in Players will be very limited as Jedi's. This is because at this point in the star wars universe there are only 4 known Jedi/sith, and 3 of them are dead.

3. The Beginning part will be a little bit railed with the decisions of the party changing the objectives that come right after the intro. So if you feel railed and do not like it, just hold out for a little bit. If you do not like that at all and you can't be a little patient, this might not be for you.

Here are some Character creation guidlines:

You are some of the best people at what you do. You are skilled and trained.

Players start at 400 CP. Try to make your characters with good advantages that would define your type of player. A Slicer would have lots of advantages that define a hacker as well as the skills back it up. There are no templates so really try to define and chisel out your character.

There is a -50 cp disadvantage limit.

At least 100 Points must be spent in skills. You will be using these skills and will be required to face the out comes of them. While I won't make you use skills to walk and breath, you will need skills to do things like shoot, pilot, slice(star wars hacking), be a doctor, ETC. If fail rolls you fail rolls. The consequences will come and the group need to deal with them.

Everyone will need to identify with either the Rebels or the Imperials. No ifs, ands, or Buts about it. Also you must roll play it out. Imps and Rebels just got done with the war and Rebels just embarrassingly defeated the imps for the second time...

Turns in combat.
At the beginning of combat we will take everyone's speed and average it out. This will be done to the opposition as well, what ever side has the higher average speed will go first. Then all players that are on that side will take their turn. Once everyone has done so, the other side will go.

forbidden Advantages.
Static- This in a star wars game applies to force users. This can only be taken as a racial. No one is natural force static unless it is a racial thing. For example, Yuzon Vong are Force Static as well as Cheron, and Ysmalri.

Unkillable

Hard to kill/subdue past level 2.



Tech Level is 11.
exclude all Nano tech of any kind.
All guns are blasters or modified forms of them use the Blasers on page 123 of ultra tech as you guide. Plasma weapons are acceptable. Anti-partical weapons are allowed, but are Illegal and require license to own and operate out side of the military.

Trandoshans have a gun called Stooker Concussion Rifle. Treat as a Force Rifle on page 129 of Ultra tech. This gun can not be parried by a lightsaber.

Conventional weapons are allowed. Gas powered air guns are allowed. Electro magnetic Guns are allowed, but they are rare, because they are old. Also most armor at this time can stop electromagnetic weapons. Gyrocs and Missile launchers are allowed.

Any other weapons and gear must come from the Ultra tech book and be TL11 or lower. The Galaxy has just been through a war. It is very unlikely that there are higher tech levels.

Cloaking of any kind is not allowed. Cloaking Technology has not yet been miniaturized. Active Camo falls under this as well.

All Gear must be cleared with the GM before it can be used. All gear is subject to approval and might be denied and blocked for any reason.

Note...


Free Agents- Such as bounty hunters and pirates. IF you choose to be a Bounty hunter or a Pirate/Smuggler. You will need to identify with one of the groups. Like Boba Fett and the Imperials, and Han Solo with the Rebellion.

No droid players- No IG88's or 4Loms.

No races that would have stayed out of the War, like Hutts, Gammorrens, ETC.

No extinct races- Aka No Sith as a race.

Rare races are allowed with proper back story and Alignment. For example, Chiss are almost Imperial exclusive and almost none existent.

Lightsabers are almost exclusively Jedi/Sith only. Most other force wielding groups or cults did not have them. If you have one you will need to explain where you go it from and your training.

If you are untrained on a lightsaber you can not use one. If you attempt to use one, you will be maimed or killed.

Posting rate will be at least every other day. This is going to be strict we need to keep the game moving. If you fail to post in 48 hours i will post for you and give out a warning. If you hit 3 warnings your out.

Also Light sabers are like Force swords but instead of the Armor Divisor of (5) it will be (10).

also no barbarian characters this is starwars people are smart and have technology. I.E. Sand people are not stupid...

Be creative. I have never seen anyone play a hutt before...

Things that will not tolerated...

If/and statments. Choose what your going to do and stick with it. If you post a "if This happens I do this, or If it dosen't I do this," I will ask you to edit it and make up your mind.

Meta Gaming: Things said in OCC do not carry over to IC. If No one tells you something that is said in OCC in IC, your character does not know it. If you act on something you do not know you will be warned. Also if I tell something to someone and not to the others, you can not act on it in any fashion. I will try to help you out by keeping things private that need to be, but it is also up to you to behave yourself. 3 warnings and your out.

God Modding: You do not control other people. IF you try to influence others you will need rolls and the skills to do so. You control your self and no one else. Not even the NPCs or the Gm characters.

Purposeful drama: We are all here to have fun and enjoy each other. Lets try to cooperate and work together. Lets try to resolve conflict with each other civilly and with respect.

Tell me what you think?

Last edited by DarkForce; 03-07-2013 at 12:35 AM.
DarkForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: OOC: The Infinite, Interest and Q&A; possible offical OOC

Ok, you say you've never had a hut. I'm interested in a Hut Bussinessman/CrimeLord/Hut. How feasible is this in the campaign, and what wealth levels are "Unacceptable"? I also take it that I will be building the racial template for hut?

Also, If he has a guard, is there someone who wants to play him? Or is it a better idea to make the Hut an NPC and play the guard?
__________________
Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
DarkForce
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Default Re: OOC: The Infinite, Interest and Q&A; possible offical OOC

Quote:
If/and statments. Choose what your going to do and stick with it. If you post a "if This happens I do this, or If it dosen't I do this," I will ask you to edit it and make up your mind.

This is silly. Suppose I'm an asteroid field for enemy fighters. I might want to say "If I detect enemy fighters, I'll warn the captain, if detect nothing other than asteroids I'll rescan." I've made up my mind. I you ask me to edit it, I'll just delete the if statements. Then if I detect nothing/enemy fighters post " I'll warn the captain" or "I'll rescan". Nothing changes except now we make an extra post each.

Quote:


Players start at 400 CP. Try to make your characters with good advantages that would define your type of player. A Slicer would have lots of advantages that define a hacker as well as the skills back it up. There are no templates so really try to define and chisel out your character.

There is a -50 cp disadvantage limit.

At least 100 Points must be spent in skills. You will be using these skills and will be required to face the out comes of them. While I won't make you use skills to walk and breath, you will need skills to do things like shoot, pilot, slice(star wars hacking), be a doctor, ETC. If fail rolls you fail rolls. The consequences will come and the group need to deal with them.

These restrictions seem... odd. If I spend 200 points in IQ, requiring 100 points spent among skills will just make a Omni-competent hacker, engineer, doctor, mechanic, leader, poet, musician, etc. I could have one area that is extremely good, but at that point we are looking at a skill of 30ish. Which is... weird.


So to answer you If/Then comment:

It is not silly to ask my players to make choices, stick with them, be direct with their actions, and face the consequences of them. That is role playing. Do the If/then in your head and make a choice based on it and face the outcome.

This is to help players also get better at writing. Describe what your doing, thinking and feeling, do not just say one liner posts, that helps no one.



As per the Skills: No one in the Rpol.con game had any problems making their characters diverse and strong at the same time. You also have to remember you have to have hte skills to function, like driving a speeder, languages, computer operations, bartering things like that. It is not hard to spend 100 points in skills to survive in a war torn galaxy, if you find it hard, your not thinking hard enough about what you need to survive in the star wars universe.

You still have got to remember there is ships to buy if you have never bought a ship, that is safe to assume you have stayed on one planet for a length of time which means current events and area knodwledge of said planet... There is a lot of things people skip over and you do not get to in this game.

Last edited by DarkForce; 03-06-2013 at 01:22 PM.
DarkForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
DarkForce
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Default Re: OOC: The Infinite, Interest and Q&A; possible offical OOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Ok, you say you've never had a hut. I'm interested in a Hut Bussinessman/CrimeLord/Hut. How feasible is this in the campaign, and what wealth levels are "Unacceptable"? I also take it that I will be building the racial template for hut?

Also, If he has a guard, is there someone who wants to play him? Or is it a better idea to make the Hut an NPC and play the guard?
For you Hutts question I found this...

http://members.upc.nl/l.deckers3/pdf...laxy%202nd.pdf

On page 47 it has hutts as a temp listed.

If someone wants to play your guard, that would be totally cool. That would save points for you having an NPC ally.

You can be as wealthy as you want. Hutts were extremely wealthy. Extremely...

Also wealth has to make sense... You cant play a Tusken Raider and be super wealthy all because I said "You can be as wealthy as you want" That just does not make sense.
DarkForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: OOC: The Infinite, Interest and Q&A; possible offical OOC

Thanks. The template is in 3e, so I'll get you a 4e version of it. This make take some research though...
__________________
Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
DarkForce
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Default Re: OOC: The Infinite, Interest and Q&A; possible offical OOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Thanks. The template is in 3e, so I'll get you a 4e version of it. This make take some research though...
Yeah and if not we can just Make it work with equivalent things.
DarkForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: OOC: The Infinite, Interest and Q&A; possible offical OOC

Hut Template, Version 0.1:

total [6]=8+41-43

attributes [8]
DX -3 [-60]
IQ +2 [40]
HT +2 [20]
HP +4 [8]

advantages [41]
Ultra-Vision [10]
Extended Life-span 5 [10]
Resistance (Force, Common, +8)[7]
Longevity [2]
DR 4 (tough skin) [12]

disadvantages [-43]
Cold-blooded [-5]
Greed (SC 15) [-7]
Ham-fisted [-5]
Megalomania [-10]
Sense of Duty (family) [-10]
Vow (never kill messengers from other hutts) [-5]
Distrusts non-huts[-1]

suggested improvements:

reducing move, increasing ST, adding negative appearance.
__________________
Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #8
DarkForce
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Default Re: OOC: The Infinite, Interest and Q&A; possible offical OOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Hut Template, Version 0.1:

total [6]=8+41-43

attributes [8]
DX -3 [-60]
IQ +2 [40]
HT +2 [20]
HP +4 [8]

advantages [41]
Ultra-Vision [10]
Extended Life-span 5 [10]
Resistance (Force, Common, +8)[7]
Longevity [2]
DR 4 (tough skin) [12]

disadvantages [-43]
Cold-blooded [-5]
Greed (SC 15) [-7]
Ham-fisted [-5]
Megalomania [-10]
Sense of Duty (family) [-10]
Vow (never kill messengers from other hutts) [-5]
Distrusts non-huts[-1]

suggested improvements:

reducing move, increasing ST, adding negative appearance.
It might be good to remove Megalomania and put in over confidence. Basic set does say that PCs are rarely Megalomaniacs.
DarkForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
Lamech
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Default Re: OOC: The Infinite, Interest and Q&A; possible offical OOC

Quote:
It is not silly to ask my players to make choices, stick with them, be direct with their actions, and face the consequences of them. That is role playing. Do the If/then in your head and make a choice based on it and face the outcome.
It is silly to ask them to make choices before their character would make the choice, without information said character would have at the time. How should a player scan an asteroid belt looking for power signs, and then raise the alarm if they see one? Worse, what if they want to repeatedly scan it and if they find a power sign stop and then raise the alarm? What if I want to try and repair the engine, but stop part way through if I hear any sounds of fighting?

I suppose the player could twist language around to avoid "ifs" but it would be pointless IMO. We could have a cycle of "I scan, I scan again, I scan again", but... that seems non-ideal...

I'm not saying people should be able to take back choices, or use information there character doesn't have with their "if" statements. If I post "If he's a cyborg I stab him." A reasonably response is "You don't know if he is a cyborg" (As is "you think he's a cyborg so you stab him" or "you think he's a cyborg, so you don't stab him.")

I guess I'm just trying to get a sense of how you would handle something like the scan the asteroid belt repeatedly. (Or walk patrol repeatedly, or repair something, but stopping if you hear sounds of fighting.)

Quote:
You also have to remember you have to have hte skills to function, like driving a speeder, languages, computer operations, bartering things like that. It is not hard to spend 100 points in skills to survive in a war torn galaxy, if you find it hard, your not thinking hard enough about what you need to survive in the star wars universe.
Language isn't a skill. IQ 20 puts the rest at expert level. I suppose there isn't really any problem. But there is a high chance of characters that are both broadly competent, AND hyper-competent in one area.
__________________
John
Cee
Martel
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #10
DarkForce
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Default Re: OOC: The Infinite, Interest and Q&A; possible offical OOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
It is silly to ask them to make choices before their character would make the choice, without information said character would have at the time. How should a player scan an asteroid belt looking for power signs, and then raise the alarm if they see one? Worse, what if they want to repeatedly scan it and if they find a power sign stop and then raise the alarm? What if I want to try and repair the engine, but stop part way through if I hear any sounds of fighting?

I suppose the player could twist language around to avoid "ifs" but it would be pointless IMO. We could have a cycle of "I scan, I scan again, I scan again", but... that seems non-ideal...

I'm not saying people should be able to take back choices, or use information there character doesn't have with their "if" statements. If I post "If he's a cyborg I stab him." A reasonably response is "You don't know if he is a cyborg" (As is "you think he's a cyborg so you stab him" or "you think he's a cyborg, so you don't stab him.")

I guess I'm just trying to get a sense of how you would handle something like the scan the asteroid belt repeatedly. (Or walk patrol repeatedly, or repair something, but stopping if you hear sounds of fighting.)

Language isn't a skill. IQ 20 puts the rest at expert level. I suppose there isn't really any problem. But there is a high chance of characters that are both broadly competent, AND hyper-competent in one area.
Well then this game may not be for you.
DarkForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.