Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 10-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
DarkForce

Default OOC ZOMBIES!

Looking at starting a zombie game.

Game will take place around modern day. It will take place in a small town that moves to major city and then more!

We can use Monster hunter if we want. This will be cinematic and pretty much if it is allowed for a human you can use it. All mental physical and social advantages will be allowed. IF it has an exotic, supernatural icon coupled with a mental physical or social, it will need to be cleared with GM first. No ifs, ands or buts.

We as a group will discussing rules and what is allowed and what isn't. things we will need to cover before we begin:

Skill cap
turn order
post requirements
tech level
cp limit ( I am Ok with 200-400, but mostly lower near 300 is what I am thinking)

Once we have all agreed and rules are set, everyone will be expected to follow them. If you don't you will be warned. If it happens a 2nd time a random detrimental event will happen, and the 3rd time your kicked out.

We will all choose and abide by the rules we set to avoid arguments. I have had trouble in the past and I am seeking to avoid that(no discussion on previous matters will be allowed and all posts involving that will be reported) I enjoy gurps and I am sure others do too. Once the rules are set, that is it. No leeway at all after the rules are set.

I Think that the more the merrier is best for this type of game.

And once again we will choose the rules and then set them and that is finale. Once the rules are set no changing them unless all players and Gm agree.

we should first get the number of players that want in, Then find out ground rules for Character creation, then play rules and so on.

ALL players are welcome... try to be reasonable on character creation and try not to make super OMG op characters. while being cinematic think a little realistically.... A little...
DarkForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
DarkForce

Default Re: OOC ZOMBIES!

For twists, funzies and giggles, the undead int his game will be classic undead as in, Holy symbols and locations will be and can be used as weapons. So "magic" will be limited to Holy, so clerics and such can be allowed but it will need to be in terms of a priest or something like that.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
DarkForce

Also everyone will need to figure out an Injury that would explain why you are all Unconscious in a hospital. You will all wake up at the hospital together at the same time, you can all know each other if you want.

No possessions will be allowed at all. Except for a hospital gown. That is it. You will all be naked and bandaged up from what ever it is that you were injured by. No signature gear is allowed. all gear will need to be scavenged and found in the field.

I also want to make hiding and stealth realistic. Colors and material will be important. But you all will not know how that will affect the undead or even if it will affect them. Also current and modern Zombie Lore will be allowed. Most everyone will have a operational understanding of what zombie's are. To have any effectual knowledge (comics, video games, etc) you will need to have knowledge skills that reflect this.

Last edited by DarkForce; 10-29-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
momothefiddler

I'd like to join this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchsknight View Post
Skill cap
turn order
post requirements
tech level
cp limit ( I am Ok with 200-400, but mostly lower near 300 is what I am thinking)
I don't see a need for a skill cap. As discussed on B172, it's generally less useful to have skills above a certain point, but if someone wants to do it, I don't see a reason why not.

Turn order is a tricky thing. I think the smoothest method I've seen in a PbP is where the PCs as a group and the NPCs as a group alternate, and the PCs are assumed to act at approximately the same time, so there's no hang up over posting order.

I'm not sure what you mean by post requirements.

TL8 seems reasonable for an approximately modern game, though TL9 would be fine too, I think.

I think 200-400 is a good range. Lower than that and you lose a lot of cinematic potential, higher and you're getting into supers range. I don't really know specifically, though. 300 sounds fine to me.

Astrid 14/14HP, 3/10FP buffs
Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
momothefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
DarkForce

Quote:
Originally Posted by momothefiddler View Post
I'd like to join this!

I don't see a need for a skill cap. As discussed on B172, it's generally less useful to have skills above a certain point, but if someone wants to do it, I don't see a reason why not.

Turn order is a tricky thing. I think the smoothest method I've seen in a PbP is where the PCs as a group and the NPCs as a group alternate, and the PCs are assumed to act at approximately the same time, so there's no hang up over posting order.

I'm not sure what you mean by post requirements.

TL8 seems reasonable for an approximately modern game, though TL9 would be fine too, I think.

I think 200-400 is a good range. Lower than that and you lose a lot of cinematic potential, higher and you're getting into supers range. I don't really know specifically, though. 300 sounds fine to me.
I have seen other games that say once a day twice a day, once a week and so on...

I like the group rotation thing that you suggested for turn order. However that will negate speed of players a bit... So we will need to figure out an initiative thing, or something... Or maybe it will determine if players can react to sudden thigns first or something.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
momothefiddler

Quote:
I have seen other games that say once a day twice a day, once a week and so on...
Oh. Well I generally can post every day or two, and it's frequently faster. I wouldn't want to impose a quota, though, because sometimes it doesn't make sense to post.

Quote:
I like the group rotation thing that you suggested for turn order. However that will negate speed of players a bit... So we will need to figure out an initiative thing, or something... Or maybe it will determine if players can react to sudden thigns first or something.
Yeah, I'm not sure how that would work. Of course Speed is still useful for movement and dodge.
The combats in A Stranger Land have been group-based and no-one's seemed to suffer from it. I don't know if Ulthar's doing some secret magic to make it run smoothly, though.

Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
Old 10-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
DarkForce

Quote:
Originally Posted by momothefiddler View Post
Oh. Well I generally can post every day or two, and it's frequently faster. I wouldn't want to impose a quota, though, because sometimes it doesn't make sense to post.

Yeah, I'm not sure how that would work. Of course Speed is still useful for movement and dodge.
The combats in A Stranger Land have been group-based and no-one's seemed to suffer from it. I don't know if Ulthar's doing some secret magic to make it run smoothly, though.
alright that is fine then! I am not gonna trip about it. I do like the group thing as that prevents people from fussing over turn order and such. Might do a group average speed to help see which side goes faster.

Also Money and wealth wont matter at all, untill you meet survivors if there are any. I will come up with a start town here soon so everyone can make up Bios and such.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #8
momothefiddler

Quote:
Might do a group average speed to help see which side goes faster.
That makes sense. I'd ask Ulthar what ze does, but I don't think we've had any fights yet that weren't ambushes anyway.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
DarkForce

I also think players should be a little realistic IN THE SENSE that a nerd character might not have military training. A scientist probably would not fighting skills.

UNLESS of course the back story makes it agree like:

Scientist in the military. A nerd who jsut got out of boot camp and awaiting deployment.

Things like that...
Old 10-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
Pesterfield

I've found the best way is everyone posts as they can, then the GM puts them in the right order. Since everything is pretty much happening at the same time anyway.
Pesterfield is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ooc zombies!, the second holocaust.