Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 06-12-2015, 07:22 PM   #961
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Our ancestors were the one's who survived to be our ancestors. In a world that often looked like it was built specifically for the prevention of such.
So? What on earth does that have to do with an ancient folk remedy helping against a modern antibiotic resistant infection?
Ancient medicine wast still wrong FAR more often than right.
Being diabetic, I do love hearing about possible treatments for things I'm at higher risk for getting than the general public.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:30 PM   #962
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by somecallmetim View Post
Saddam Hussein, as you may know, had a Quran printed in his own blood. He also had his name inscribed in the bricks used for the reconstruction of Nebuchadnezzar's city of Babylon. In real life, it is pretty obviously narcissism and megalomania. In an RPG setting though, it seems like a desperate magical gambit. Maybe trying to use nationalistic magic or cause a reality quake that unearths Haroun al-Rashad's Baghdad (whether it ill be full of History-B irruptors or not, who can say.) It actually seems like the sort of thing a lunatic leader of a rogue state might do as part of an Esoterror plot.
Any sanctity it might have once had should I think make it even more unclean by the circumstances. It is like the time when the Mossad team that kidnapped Eichmann was shocked to hear him quote, "Hear O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one."

However I should think it is a Muslim's job to decide what should be done with it.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:53 AM   #963
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
9th century woman found buried with a ring that says "for Allah" on it.

Were there muslims living in Sweden in the 9th century? Obviously not many, but still...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
The thing is, the ring showed little or no sign of wear and tear so it's probable that it hadn't passed through many hands before the woman got it. That's why they think it was bought from the craftsman, not taken in a raid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Perhaps a thrall or two. Or a trader that couldn't get back or preferred to marry locally. Sweden was after all at the North end of the river routes and both were cultures that roved about a lot in those days.
The vikings traveled at least as far as the Mediterranean as traders, which easily brings them in contact with people who trade with Muslims, and possibly directly in contact with Muslims.

Just because someone is wearing an item with religious messaging on it, doesn't mean that person shares that faith, or can even read it. Consider the number of people who get tattoos of Chinese characters [1] without being able to read Chinese, or wear jewelery with same. Presuming whoever traded for it even recognized it as writing, rather than abstract decoration, they may have had a confused understanding of the meaning, or not even cared. Writing can be pretty just for being writing, and stuff from far away tends to have more value simply for being far away.

[1] Or even Alleged Chinese Characters that turn out to be entirely nonsense.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 01:19 PM   #964
Flyndaran
Untagged

People may value objects for who gave them rather than what they are.
I have a cherished crucifix given by a relative.
My uncle has a pendant of a mundane quarter as it was the last thing my father gave him before dying. He's worn it every single day since '88.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:42 PM   #965
David Johnston2

In Venezuela the Catatumbo river basin is peculiarly attractive to lightning. What lies imprisoned, trying to break out?

http://io9.com/5871791/one-place-in-...ikes-per-night
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:03 PM   #966
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
In Venezuela the Catatumbo river basin is peculiarly attractive to lightning. What lies imprisoned, trying to break out?

I picture a munckin player getting a huge discount on Energy Pool: only recharges in lightning storms.
So that's where the real lightning thief lives.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:50 PM   #967
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post

In the In Nomine world, this sounds like an ancient Tether of Jean's.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:12 AM   #968
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

So your adventurers decided to buy a tank . . .
Old 06-22-2015, 03:50 PM   #969
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Maybe you guys should buy a bunch of these. Wouldn't that be ironic, in eastern Ukraine?
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:48 PM   #970
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
Maybe you guys should buy a bunch of these. Wouldn't that be ironic, in eastern Ukraine?
"Bought ze drirving carr, bought ze drriving license, not bought ze drriving skill!"
(On a more serious note, more modern stuff is probably higher priority. E.g. people seem real happy getting brand new NVG, UAVs, and are really trigger-happy to get better antitank weaponry. I have no idea what the current situation with tanks is.)

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox