Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-19-2019, 11:10 AM   #21
khorboth

Default Re: Dangers in a Post Apocalyptic World

A local group starts selling meat super cheap. And in suspiciously large quantity. They're really cagey about the nature of the meat. What could it be?

A gadgeteer is producing vat-grown meat from the leaf overgrowth. Or maybe somebody found his invention and he's long gone.

A super is in town and has the ability to call fish. He will deplete all fish from the area and then move on. And then lots of people will go hungry.

It's leg-o-regenerating super. He regrows his leg in 1 minute. They cut it off. He regrows it. Food for everyone! including him! eeewww.

A super has the ability to directly transmute leaves into meat. He's trying to help and has recruited some people to keep him anonymous and therefore alive. Or he's their slave and they don't want anybody to know about their resource.

There are wild buffalo which have adapted to the climate and are beginning to thrive. Some hunters have found a reliable spot to get meat. What they don't know is that the buffalo are actually mutants and the meat has side effects. Or maybe they do know and they think that if they spread it out enough the cumulative effect won't be so bad.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:25 AM   #22
Flyndaran
Untagged

A massive super that can safely consume nearly any organic material... and she lactates an incredible amount. Her tribe uses it to produce a large variety of healthy cheeses for trade.

How will locals feel when they realize what they're eating?
Old 07-19-2019, 11:54 AM   #23
Black Leviathan

Extra-dimensional raiders brought hunting dogs or vermin. Big nasty highly evolved survivors that consume resources and post a threat to people.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:52 PM   #24
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
It's long. I mean... the entire LotR trilogy twice long. And grim. And just a bit dark. But the character does try to make the world a better place, even if she stumbles a bit along the way.

Ward is shaping up to be the same (it's in the midst of being written, so give it a year or two).
Even given how fast I read that seems really long. It's going to have to stay on the list of "too read at some point" for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth View Post
A local group starts selling meat super cheap. And in suspiciously large quantity. They're really cagey about the nature of the meat. What could it be?

A gadgeteer is producing vat-grown meat from the leaf overgrowth. Or maybe somebody found his invention and he's long gone.

A super is in town and has the ability to call fish. He will deplete all fish from the area and then move on. And then lots of people will go hungry.

It's leg-o-regenerating super. He regrows his leg in 1 minute. They cut it off. He regrows it. Food for everyone! including him! eeewww.

A super has the ability to directly transmute leaves into meat. He's trying to help and has recruited some people to keep him anonymous and therefore alive. Or he's their slave and they don't want anybody to know about their resource.

There are wild buffalo which have adapted to the climate and are beginning to thrive. Some hunters have found a reliable spot to get meat. What they don't know is that the buffalo are actually mutants and the meat has side effects. Or maybe they do know and they think that if they spread it out enough the cumulative effect won't be so bad.
O.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
A massive super that can safely consume nearly any organic material... and she lactates an incredible amount. Her tribe uses it to produce a large variety of healthy cheeses for trade.

How will locals feel when they realize what they're eating?
Too squicky. No thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
Extra-dimensional raiders brought hunting dogs or vermin. Big nasty highly evolved survivors that consume resources and post a threat to people.
That's more like it. That's a great idea.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:00 PM   #25
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth View Post
I'm surprised you left out the obvious option of it being Soylent Green.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:10 PM   #26
khorboth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I'm surprised you left out the obvious option of it being Soylent Green.
There aren't enough PEOPLE left for quantity production.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:28 PM   #27
(E)

Misty terrain
If the dark mist can transport sections of the landscape about then there is the possibility of unexpected terrain. The party may find themselves traveling through a section of rapidly freezing tropical jungle when they expected snow covered fields.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:39 PM   #28
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
Misty terrain
If the dark mist can transport sections of the landscape about then there is the possibility of unexpected terrain. The party may find themselves traveling through a section of rapidly freezing tropical jungle when they expected snow covered fields.
That's...a really fantastic idea.

Become a Patron!
Old 07-21-2019, 10:29 PM   #29
Christopher R. Rice

So in today's session the PCs mostly foraged around looking for supplies. The current area they are in in New York ("the No-Go" Zone) spans most of upper Manhattan and parts of the Bronx. Because of dimensional raiders (the Strangers) tampering parts of it are out of whack with reality. Other parts have their various weapons of war still around (like automated mines). Plus all the other issues with weak dimensional walls. This makes it a bit of a looting goldmine because it's been mostly unexplored due to how dangerous it is. The PCs don't know that so they are reaping the rewards even though they don't know how in deep they are.

I'm thinking some kind of dangerous weaponized virus maybe or perhaps one of those hunting animals alluded to up thread. What do y'all think they should encounter next?

Become a Patron!
Old 07-22-2019, 04:03 PM   #30
(E)

Sewer 'gator, variations sewer plesosaur, sewer gatorman, sewer kraken.

Hungry building, an A.I./super affected/dark fog possessed building that wants to feed/get more tech etc.
(A Hungry hungry hippodrome and see if the players figure it out)

A pack of daeodons, (rhino sized pig analog)

Captured fog, a sample of dark fog was captured by a super and took over the location (or the super)

Losing the high ground, any encounter can be made more of a challenge if the party has to negotiated dozens of levels of staircases first. 50 stories up worth of challenge.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote