Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-05-2019, 08:13 AM   #11
Stormcrow

Default Re: Help with a magic weapon

Or you could just pay cash for the sword and invest it with the character points for the Affliction.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:07 AM   #12
Aldric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
Or you could just pay cash for the sword and invest it with the character points for the Affliction.
Unless that works like imbuements (which I skimmed and decided they're not for me) you're back where you have either a sword that does only damage, or a deviff attack that deals no damage.
You could build your affliction with Aura, but that's a can of worms I don't really want to open
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:24 AM   #13
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldric View Post
Unless that works like imbuements (which I skimmed and decided they're not for me) you're back where you have either a sword that does only damage, or a deviff attack that deals no damage.
Why can't a sword with an Affliction on it also cause damage?
Old 07-05-2019, 11:17 AM   #14
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldric View Post
Unless that works like imbuements (which I skimmed and decided they're not for me) yn
It'd be Hybrid Equipment from Supers rather than Imbuement.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:01 AM   #15
Aldric

No idea how Hybrid Equipment works.

But affliction uses an action, sword damage uses an action, so the only way to have both affect a target with only one action is to link them.

So, to answer stormcrow, a sword can definitely deal damage and cause some other effect, you just need to build the attack accordingly.
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:41 AM   #16
Stormcrow

The Melee Attack modifier links the activation of the Affliction with a successful melee strike.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:45 AM   #17
Anaraxes

The Hybrid equipment rule works as others have suggested above: buy the mundane item as Signature Gear, and buy the the other abilities with appropriate Gadget Limitations. You don't need Link to link to a mundane feature of equipment. On the flip side, you also don't get an extra Limitation for the ability for "only while attacking". (The Gadget Limitations include that sort of thing.)

If there's nothing special about the particular item, but it's just a character ability that needs a trivially replaced prop (say, Gambit charging up playing cards -- that's not a property of the cards, it's just a thing Gambit can do), then the ability has a -10% Limitation for "Requires Material Components".

If the first point really bothers you, then you could resort to something contorted, like a one-hex Cone Aura with an Environmental Limitation, "Only for people damaged by my sword". Still no Link or separate activation roll here.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote