Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-23-2016, 09:24 AM   #1
Kalzazz

Default [Sorcery] Purify Water

How would one go about a Purify Water spell for Sorcery?

starslayer suggested Accessory (Still) or Accessory (Water Filter), or Transmute (Dirty Water to Clean Water)

I am vaguely thinking it might be based off of Healing somehow, or Afflicting Immunity to Metabolic Hazards

I have already checked Psionics, Divine Favor and Chinese Elemental Powers and don't see any ideas for how to do this there
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:33 AM   #2
GodBeastX

Default Re: [Sorcery] Purify Water

This seems like the "Create" advantage from Powers . It would probably have a large limitation to just Transmute dirty water to clean water.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:03 AM   #3
Kalzazz

Alright,

So, Purify Water
Create, Water 5
+300% Cosmic Permanent
-50% Transmutation (Fouled Water to Clean Water only)
-15% Sorcery
+20% Reduced FP
18 per level

Last edited by Kalzazz; 04-23-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:20 AM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Alright,

So, Purify Water
Create, Water 5
+300% Cosmic Permanent
-50% Transmutation (Fouled Water to Clean Water only)
-15% Sorcery
+20% Reduced FP
18 per level
I would skip the Cosmic.
Transmutation should be enough, though there is Essential Water which is +50% Cosmic.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 12:36 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I would skip the Cosmic.
Transmutation should be enough, though there is Essential Water which is +50% Cosmic.
Without Cosmic the water automatically reverts to it's original form in 10 seconds.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 12:41 PM   #6
Anders

You can also take Create Pollution with the Destruction Only enhancement. I assume the destroyed pollutants don't come back after 10 seconds.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:47 PM   #7
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
You can also take Create Pollution with the Destruction Only enhancement. I assume the destroyed pollutants don't come back after 10 seconds.
*eyes Anders* That's a damn clever way to build that. I see I'm going to have to watch you in out upcoming online game. you're a tricksy one. I'd call Create Pollution worth 10/level - which is still cheaper. Again, clever.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 12:55 PM   #8
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
That's fine for clearing chemicals and all, but, you may need to link Create Disease with Destruction Only if you want to be sure water is safe to drink, what with parasites and bacteria being the main threats in water.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:32 PM   #9
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Without Cosmic the water automatically reverts to it's original form in 10 seconds.
yeah, I thought there was a Kromm post but I cant find it.
Also checked the obvious books and didn't see it.
I would allow it as your reverting it to its natural state so a duration enhancement would only be needed to keep it from getting polluted again.
The Cosmic version he has made would let standing water stay clean regardless of the environment.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:59 PM   #10
Bruno

Create can be stabilized with a creation pool, but there's an optional rule to just say "to hecky heck with it all" and perhaps require purchasing an appropriate level of Wealth to cover "why yes, I do create gold in my spare time." Those rules exist to prevent creating valuable materials and making a rude profit on them.

In many games, pure water is sure a thing, but it's not gold - particularly if you need water to make it in the first place, rather than being able to magic it in out of nowhere in a desert. That mostly just reduces you to a fast and low-equipment water distiller.

Based on that, I'd handwave the duration problem, creation pool problem, and probably even minimum wealth levels. Presuming that this is not a significantly economically destabilizing ability in your game world, of course, which it isn't in most game worlds.

Otherwise, if it has significant enough value that you don't like handwaving it, and/or you simply want to keep duration, I'd use the rules I use for created things in Dungeon Fantasy - use it before the duration expires, either by drinking it or transforming it in a way that increases its intrinsic value, and meh, don't worry about it. Otherwise it goes poof.

It doesn't go poof out of your body doing fatigue damage (that's an attack, not Create). Your pee doesn't go poof. Making soup out of it doesn't result in the soup suddenly turning into powdered soup. But rinse something off in it and the rinse water will go poof.

This is for created water - obvs for purified water it gets gross again instead of going poof.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote