Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Pyramid

Old 01-26-2013, 06:36 AM   #1
DanHoward

Default Letters to the Editor

I'm thinking that Pyramid needs a "letters to the editor" page.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Letters to the Editor

Dear Sir;

I object strongly to the letters in your magazine. They are clearly not written by the general public and are merely included for a cheap laugh.

Yours sincerely etc.,

Hrothgar Knickers

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Not sure what the point is, as the Editor visits the forum and answers questions in a much less formal way. Or is formality the point?
Old 01-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
adm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Not sure what the point is, as the Editor visits the forum and answers questions in a much less formal way. Or is formality the point?
I agree with Vicky here, furthermore any space devoted to letters is less space for GURPS stuff, unless you are suggesting that they also enlarge each issue, which would most likely require a price increase.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
Steven Marsh

I certainly wouldn't be averse to putting letters in the "From the Editor" spot (or even "Odds and Ends")... that sort of thing is one of the reasons those pages exist.

However, I honestly don't get a whole lot of feedback on what we're doing (despite begging for the past decade-plus), and -- for the most part -- I'm not 100% sure what purpose it'd serve. Magazines that publish "You all are doing great!" letters always feel like they're engaging in back-patting puffery, while "You all stink!" letters often either concern matters we aren't able to do much about... or it feels counterproductive. ("Let's devote one of the six sample pages we give away to having people tell us how much the magazine stinks!")

Frankly, I'd love such a vibrant discussion here on matters Pyramid-related (or, yes, in my inbox) that I could fill out the occasional "From the Editor" page, but some months our dear mag is lucky to get any feedback. We're selling well enough to keep the lights on, and I suppose we'd hear about it if we were doing poorly enough that there were folks wielding pitchforks and torches... but otherwise? It's pretty quiet.
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
DemiBenson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post
I certainly wouldn't be averse to putting letters in the "From the Editor" spot (or even "Odds and Ends")... that sort of thing is one of the reasons those pages exist.

However, I honestly don't get a whole lot of feedback on what we're doing (despite begging for the past decade-plus), and -- for the most part -- I'm not 100% sure what purpose it'd serve.
Perhaps because you don't have an easy-to-use feedback form? The old web Pyramid had the rating system, which was better than nothing, but had its own problems. It would be a good start if there were a way to rate each article on the two main axes ("I liked the subject of this article" and "I liked the author's writing") and maybe an overall rating for the issue. But I realize that that would take programmer hours to implement.

Also, I know that I personally try not to give negative reviews on the forums because the authors are here, and it would be quite gauche to write "This article is like the dirt-scratchings of drunken peacocks and more boring than watching painted grass grow!"
... even though there is an author whose articles I find painfully dull.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiBenson View Post
Perhaps because you don't have an easy-to-use feedback form?
Though that might help, it's also not too difficult to come to the forum and say "such-and-such an article rocked/sucked" (or "sucked rocks" or "rocked suckers"). I think it's more a matter of motivation than technical ease of use. People discussed articles on the old Pyramid boards, but everybody was there, first and foremost, for Pyramid. Under the new regime, Pyramid is just another product, which may dilute response.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
Steven Marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiBenson View Post
Perhaps because you don't have an easy-to-use feedback form? The old web Pyramid had the rating system, which was better than nothing, but had its own problems. It would be a good start if there were a way to rate each article on the two main axes ("I liked the subject of this article" and "I liked the author's writing") and maybe an overall rating for the issue. But I realize that that would take programmer hours to implement.
Unfortunately, given the lack of resources in getting higher-profile programming bits implemented, I don't see anything like that happening anytime soon.

Quote:
Also, I know that I personally try not to give negative reviews on the forums because the authors are here, and it would be quite gauche to write "This article is like the dirt-scratchings of drunken peacocks and more boring than watching painted grass grow!"
... even though there is an author whose articles I find painfully dull.
That's fair enough (although I think it's possible to be diplomatic yet honest in an open forum). However, I have -- literally from Day 1, in the current volume -- encouraged people to also write me directly at pyramid@sjgames.com. Telling me privately "X, Y, and Z stinks!" is certainly an appropriate use of private communication (heck, go ahead and set up a disposable GMail account if you'd prefer to be really anonymous; I don't mind!). I generally forward on favorable "fan mail" to authors; if I think it'd be constructive, I'm also not averse to forwarding on unfavorable email (although in that case I'd probably check with the original corresponder about how much anonymity is desired). However, I do read and consider every bit of correspondence I get. Even if I know I won't be able to please everyone all the time, I certainly give it my best shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
People discussed articles on the old Pyramid boards, but everybody was there, first and foremost, for Pyramid. Under the new regime, Pyramid is just another product, which may dilute response.
I wouldn't over-estimate the level of public correspondence on the old forums; I remember many weeks where there was (maybe) one comment at most. (It was a point of ongoing consternation for me that I'd spend hours picking, editing, and writing an issue that would be completely ignored, while a poll I dashed out in two minutes would get 45 forum comments . . .)
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #9
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

I'm pretty sure that some of my criticisms aimed at various SJG works were harsh, and most were straightforward. Likewise, there's been stuff I praised (e.g. I'm particularly fond of BIO, though it's old news; SE was cool of the new ones; conversely, I rather dislike Mysteries). I don't think I'm the only one. In fact, criticism-and-defence of this-or-that product or rule seems to be a common pastime on the forum.

Nope, definitely don't see lack of communication regarding flaws/merits of products as an issue. OTOH, in my personal opinion, Pyramid is a niche product. Some issues I found useful, others I nearly ignored due to being very far from my sphere of interest.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #10
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Quote:
I wouldn't over-estimate the level of public correspondence on the old forums; I remember many weeks where there was (maybe) one comment at most.
Fair enough.

Quote:
(It was a point of ongoing consternation for me that I'd spend hours picking, editing, and writing an issue that would be completely ignored, while a poll I dashed out in two minutes would get 45 forum comments . . .)
Buffy.