Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-06-2019, 02:23 PM   #1
davidtmoore

Default Sight-Limited Detect?

How would you build an ability to recognise things by sight?

In this setting, fairies can tell other fairies even if they look human. It's like Detect, but only works at line-of-sight (i.e. it doesn't give you the ability to sense hidden fairies, only to know that a human-looking person is a fairy).

The nearest equivalent I can think of is the Magery ability to recognise magic items. If I reverse-engineer Magery 0 from Detect (Magic), which is specifically listed as an Occasional class of objects [10 points], that suggests "Line-of-sight only" is a -50% limitation, equivalent in value to Vague.

Does that feel right?
Old 07-06-2019, 02:25 PM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Sight-Limited Detect?

Couldn't you use the Sense-Based modifier?

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 03:05 PM   #3
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Couldn't you use the Sense-Based modifier?
Sense-Based (at least the version in the BS, there might be a different one somewhere) is based on the senses of the victim, not the user.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 03:13 PM   #4
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtmoore View Post
How would you build an ability to recognise things by sight?
?
You mean Illuminated?
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 03:18 PM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
Sense-Based (at least the version in the BS, there might be a different one somewhere) is based on the senses of the victim, not the user.
Reverse Sense Based is a variant on Sense Based, Powers p. 105
Also discussed in Power Ups limitations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
You mean Illuminated?
Yeah Ive worked on a variation of that for other types of activity.
Its kind of a cross between Detect and Scanning Sense or Detect with a nuisance limitation that makes you visible.
I call my version Awareness (Type).
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:30 PM   #6
davidtmoore

Okay, good thoughts. So my options are:

Detect (Fairies, Sense-Based: Sight, -20%) [8]

Allows fairies to roll Per with range-based modifiers to identify a fairy by sight, and roll IQ to analyze it (type of fairy, presumably).

Losing the analysis ability probably justifies another -30%, which would bring it down to [5]. Making the initial detection automatic probably justifies adding a +50% Cosmic modifier, bringing the total back up to about [10].

Illuminated (Fairies) [15]

Allows fairies to recognise each other by sight, no roll, and to roll IQ to identify an event as being caused by fairies.

Not what I had in mind, but to be fair, pretty thematic. "This business has the stink of fairies all over it!" etc. etc.

Removing the detect-conspiracy ability is probably a solid -50% minimum, bringing this down to [8].

Magery 0 [5]

Magic in this setting is always tied to fairies, so this is essentially a "detect fairy thing" power. Expanding it to "Detect fairies and fairy things" power's probably a Cosmic +50% modifier, for [8].

I think I might go with the Illuminated route. Thanks, all!
Old 07-06-2019, 04:53 PM   #7
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtmoore View Post
Okay, good thoughts. So my options are:

Detect (Fairies, Sense-Based: Sight, -20%) [8]

Allows fairies to roll Per with range-based modifiers to identify a fairy by sight, and roll IQ to analyze it (type of fairy, presumably).

Losing the analysis ability probably justifies another -30%, which would bring it down to [5]. Making the initial detection automatic probably justifies adding a +50% Cosmic modifier, bringing the total back up to about [10].
Canonically:
Cosmic: No Dice Roll Required is +100%
Cannot Analyze is -10%
Analysis Only is -50%

Detect (Fairies, Analysis Only is -50%) [5]
You can't detect Fairies, but if you sense someone/something with your other senses you can concentrate for one turn and make an IQ roll to know if they/it are "Fairie".

Detect (Fairies, Analysis Only is -50%; Cosmic: No Dice Roll Required +100%) [15]
You can't detect Fairies, but if you sense someone/something with your other senses you can concentrate for one turn to automatically know if they/it are "Fairie"

Detect (Fairies, Analysis Only is -50%; Cosmic: No Dice Roll Required +100%; Reflexive +40%) [19]
You can't detect Fairies, but if you sense someone/something with your other senses you reflexively, instantly, automatically know if they/it are "Fairie".
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:17 PM   #8
Sorenant

Pyramid #3-112 has an ability to sniff out magic that's built as Detect Magic with "Smell-Based, -20%", "Reflexive, +40%" and a few other modifiers.
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:07 PM   #9
Plane

Page 15 of GURPS Power-Ups 4: Enhancements has "Increased Range, LOS" which sounds right for this.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote