Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-27-2019, 09:02 AM   #1
dataweaver

Default A silly observation about Power-Ups

1, 5, and 9: new stuff (Imbuements, Impulse Buys, Alternate Attributes)
2 and 6: minor tweaks (Perks and Quirks)
3 and 7: skills (Talents and Wildcard Skills)
4 and 8: modifiers (Enhancements and Limitations)

No, I don't think this pattern was deliberate, nor do I expect it to continue. But what if it does? What comes next?

10: Zero-point traits?
11: Styles and Techniques?
12: ???

---

On a more serious note, what do you think should come next? I would like to see something on Styles and Techniques that extends them well beyond their Martial Arts roots; but I don't know if that would be better as a Power-Ups or as a Template Toolkit.

Maybe an Esoteric Skills supplement that does for the Magic system what Powers did for 3e's Psionics system; i.e., a Skill-based build-your-own-powers system?

Or maybe just Alternate Skills, tackling the massive skill list in much the same way that Alternate Attributes tackled the attributes?
Old 11-27-2019, 09:24 AM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: A silly observation about Power-Ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post

On a more serious note, what do you think should come next? I would like to see something on Styles and Techniques that extends them well beyond their Martial Arts roots; but I don't know if that would be better as a Power-Ups or as a Template Toolkit.

Maybe an Esoteric Skills supplement that does for the Magic system what Powers did for 3e's Psionics system; i.e., a Skill-based build-your-own-powers system?

Or maybe just Alternate Skills, tackling the massive skill list in much the same way that Alternate Attributes tackled the attributes?
Styles and Techniques would be good, also Alternate skills that included an expansion of From Skills to Advantages. I might like Styles better as a Template Toolkit though.
Gadgeteering, though we may get that in Girl Genius.
Alternate Advantages might be nice, a look at how Kromm would handle pricing and mechanics for current and maybe new advantages after all these years of hindsight. Probably include stuff from Fourth Edition Festival and the Blessed advantage article in Pyramid. This could give us RAW examples for changing things like Regrowth, and a few linear advantages some think should be geometric. Maybe a redo of Super Effort enhancement such as on ST, Compartmentalized Mind, etc.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 11:05 AM   #3
dataweaver

I tend to think that anything on Advantages would be too big for a single supplement, and would best be broken up into smaller chunks.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:35 AM   #4
Plane

Quote:
What comes next?
10: Zero-point traits?
Hope so, would love to see all 0-point traits dissected into valued adv/dis components. Would be useful for afflictions.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 11:45 AM   #5
dataweaver

I'm not sure all of them can be dissected. How would you dissect Taboo Trait, for example? But yeah; where they can be treated as 0-point Meta-Traits, that would be good to know.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:55 AM   #6
Plane

Maybe they should be worth something? B125's "Cannot Learn" is basically taboo traits: DX/IQ/skills/techniques/mental advantages. Small taboos alone are basically "not valuable enough to even be a quirk" but maybe several of them could add up to a quirk?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 11:58 AM   #7
Refplace

Quote:
I tend to think that anything on Advantages would be too big for a single supplement, and would best be broken up into smaller chunks.
If it were just the ones Kromm might do differently? I think that would not be very many at all.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 12:17 PM   #8
Anders

Personally I wonder when we'll get Cabaret Chicks On Ice.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:28 PM   #9
dataweaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Maybe they should be worth something? B125's "Cannot Learn" is basically taboo traits: DX/IQ/skills/techniques/mental advantages. Small taboos alone are basically "not valuable enough to even be a quirk" but maybe several of them could add up to a quirk?
I never said that there's not an argument for assigning a value to it; only that breaking it up into an Advantage/Disadvantage pair may not be possible.

Personally, I wouldn't mind having “virtual point costs” assigned to 0-point traits for the purpose of Affliction, much like Affliction of a zero-point Meta-Trait has a “virtual cost” of its component Advantages plus a fifth of its component Disadvantages (in fact, this is true of every Meta-Trait). But beyond that, I'm personally more interested in increasing the number of Zero-point (Meta-)Traits in the game rather than decreasing them: a Zero-point Trait has the really nifty property of not affecting the point accounting, meaning that you can decide whether or not you want to use it based entirely on its own merits rather than having to consider what it does to your point total.

Still, the book wouldn't be just for me; I could see a section about converting Zero-point Features into Perks or Quirks for those who want to assign a non-zero point cost to everything.
Old 11-27-2019, 01:08 PM   #10
GWJ

I would like to see a splatbook with good guidelines about repricing various traits (mainly advantages and disadvantages) to adjust them for many different campaigns, like they did with Attributes in the PU9
GWJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power-ups