Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 06-27-2018, 07:30 PM   #21
offsides

Default Re: Update incoming: Please finish any Multiplayer games you have running

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
They aren't going to mess that up. It's Ogre. The standard library's (nextInt() % 6) +1 equivalent is fine by many orders of magnitude. They're likely using some variant of Mersenne Twister, possibly not even conscious of it.

I'm more concerned with changing the narrative of the game "to make it more interesting" instead of letting the dice fall fairly. I've played two games of MkIII Attack where both players had a hard time landing hits south of the craters. It's just anecdotal, but not rolling a single six, and only 3 fives - out of 25 attempts is really strange. GP wasn't doing any better.
Just FYI, I did a little testing and for small numbers of rolls (25-30), it's totally possible to get 0 6s and 3 5s with specific random seeds. So even with proper randomization, if it's not initialized well it can give skewed results. Again, it's something that could be easily checked if the rolls were audited in a meaningful way (i.e,. by game and overall total), hence my original suggestion. Yes, the dice absolutely can land that way, but it should be fairly rare and not often.
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:13 AM   #22
AurochDigital

Default Re: Update incoming: Please finish any Multiplayer games you have running

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
Just FYI, I did a little testing and for small numbers of rolls (25-30), it's totally possible to get 0 6s and 3 5s with specific random seeds. So even with proper randomization, if it's not initialized well it can give skewed results. Again, it's something that could be easily checked if the rolls were audited in a meaningful way (i.e,. by game and overall total), hence my original suggestion. Yes, the dice absolutely can land that way, but it should be fairly rare and not often.
Hey all. Just to weigh in on this question - we can say 100% the rolls are random. The code, each time it needs to roll a dice, generates a new random seed for that. We don't do any modification of that randomness to alter the game. It's as random as rolling a normal dice in reality.

Hope this helps. Thanks.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:09 PM   #23
AurochDigital

Hi again. Thought it might be of interest to share how we generate random numbers. As the game uses Unity, it has a function to do this, which we call each time we need a random number. Hope this is of interest.

Thanks.