Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 10-21-2017, 08:32 PM   #11
Eugee

Default Re: Facepalm On-Demand

Mr. Jackson, every time you post, like a normal person, talking strategy on a game I bought with my bus fare (and walked to the mall), it's kind of surreal.

Like seriously, the once or twice a year when my wife will play Mark V Attacks with me, and she asks if she should save her missiles, I can actually say, "Well Steve said..."

Thank you sir. Thanks for all the games, too--especially OGRE. Something about it has always spoken to my heart, since I was 12.
Eugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:50 AM   #12
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
I'll fire my missiles early if there are good targets - if there are just a few GEVs, I may want to take them out - and if the target is within range of my secondaries on my planned next move, I'm fine with disabling it.

But holding one back is always a valid way to distress the opponent.
With the Mk III, I use my missiles early. With a Mk V, I'll save a couple for a couple turns.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:17 AM   #13
Mack_JB

I'm the same way on missiles, in a face-to-face game, I save them as long as I can -- but for whatever reason the AI always goes after them early, so I use them, often as soon as something, anything, is in range.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:21 PM   #14
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
With the Mk III, I use my missiles early. With a Mk V, I'll save a couple for a couple turns.
Yeah that is largely how I play, depending on the scenario. Mk. III missiles are often used to kill HVYs, SHVYs or MBs as soon as any of those are in range. Two or three Mk. V missiles are the same, but the rest are in reserve as a long range threat to mission objectives.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:10 PM   #15
offsides

GIven that missiles are "use it or lose it", I like to use them if I can :)

The only time I'll hold onto a missile or two is if I think I can kill a HWZ with it before it becomes worthwhile for the defense to target it. But even then, it's usually better to take out mobile armor that can shoot you at a distance AND keep up with you rather than hoping you'll get to use it on a stationary target.
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:31 PM   #16
selenite

To me holding onto a missile for N turns means taking N shots from whatever that missile could have blown up. So I use them as soon as I have a good target. "Good" defined as not blowing up a LT when there's a SHVY lurking behind it I can get next turn.
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:16 PM   #17
GuyMacon

The interesting question is what to do when the enemy is targeting your missiles. Fire them off before you lose them, or save them because every shot against a missile is one less shot against your main battery?
GuyMacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:19 PM   #18
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyMacon View Post
The interesting question is what to do when the enemy is targeting your missiles. Fire them off before you lose them, or save them because every shot against a missile is one less shot against your main battery?
Not assume that they are going to continue to do the same thing every turn because they aren't going to let you in their decision loop that easily?
Old 10-22-2017, 05:45 PM   #19
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Not assume that they are going to continue to do the same thing every turn because they aren't going to let you in their decision loop that easily?
On the other hand, does it make sense for them to go out of their way to be misleading on this? If the defender, like me, sees attacking missiles as a poor use of attack factors, would there be any point in spending attacks to try to convince the attacker otherwise? The deception will collapse the moment they start actually following their preferred strategy.

...I can actually see a logic to a defender who wants to eliminate the missiles as soon as possible in trying to convince the attacker otherwise - if the attacker follows my earlier proposal of conserving targeted missiles as ablative armor, the fastest way to remove the missiles would be to convince the attacker to expend them instead. And that deception only needs to stand up very briefly to achieve its aim.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:31 AM   #20
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Did the AI just get smarter again? I played a Mk V attack skirmish last night when I was sick of waiting for a human being to maybe exist and play a ranked game and it used a few missiles to thin my heavy tanks and saved some for the CP.